PDA

View Full Version : How to best spend my money?

F150marine
11-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Help...

I am a 220lb rider (in full gear) and ride desert and dunes and ride a 07 450r. I have played with my settings and think the shocks are not what I thought they would be.

I want to upgrade the suspension but don't know where my money would be best spent. Should i get a rebuild from GT Thunder front and rear with link. Or save my money to get Elka shocks? Or is there a better option?

Thanks

Flynbryan19
11-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Your best bang for your buck is GT Thunder. They can make the stock shocks work GREAT and for way less then aftermarket shocks.

11-29-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm a fan of stock rebuilds.

F150marine
11-29-2007, 03:31 PM
So with a stock rebuild (my price pref) is it a huge improvement?

My main goal really is being able to attack the whoops better. My friends can't catch me until we hit these in our desert and dune riding......

BlaineKaiser450
11-29-2007, 03:44 PM
I would definatly get stock rebuilds and in the rear a gt thunder link aswell

bloodmoney23
11-29-2007, 04:34 PM
i dunno i did the whole Elka triple rates and I love them.....never rode on stock rebuilds....i guess this give me the chance to send mine in and have them redone and try them....But as of now I would have to say wait and do the Elka's but all these guys cant be wrong so I would do whats in your pref price range and what seems to work good.

GIXXER1KR
11-29-2007, 04:44 PM
I went all out and got Motowoz and dont regret it!!:)

400exrider707
11-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
i dunno i did the whole Elka triple rates and I love them.....never rode on stock rebuilds....i guess this give me the chance to send mine in and have them redone and try them....But as of now I would have to say wait and do the Elka's but all these guys cant be wrong so I would do whats in your pref price range and what seems to work good.

I had elkas on my 400EX, and I've ridden multiple elka setups including a full long travel front and rear 450R with LSR dc4 arms and a lonestar outlaw rear end, guess whats on my personal race bike...

Stock rebuilds. I originally had some used C&D rebuilds front and a GT Thunder rear, now all three are re-done by C&D still utilizing the rear GT link, and I love this setup.... LOVE IT!

450R_lover
11-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Never rode on anything aftermarket, but I've got full Mx triple rate rebuilds from Derisi Racing and it's night and day difference from stock. One of the best upgrades i've made, hands down.

mschooley
11-29-2007, 05:20 PM
You guys talking about stock rebuilds, I'm going to get mine rebuilt also, but not sure if I should go with GT Thunder or Derisi Racing. They both claim to do the same mods to front and both have link for rear. Anyone had better luck with one more than other?

11-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by F150marine
So with a stock rebuild (my price pref) is it a huge improvement?

My main goal really is being able to attack the whoops better. My friends can't catch me until we hit these in our desert and dune riding......

Yes it is a huge improvement if you get the whole package. All three shocks done and a link. Besides a steering stabilizer it will be the best money you send on your quad.

BlaineKaiser450
11-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by GIXXER1KR
I went all out and got Motowoz and dont regret it!!:) same here but a more cost effiecient choice would be rebuilds. but if you have the money go with motowoz

450R_lover
11-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Honestly, derisi costs a little more but your getting more for your money. I dont know how well gt thunder works, but i do know that derisi is ZPS triple rate fronts, and ZPS dual rate rear. The GT setup is just dual rate front, and single rate rear.... thats what i got from there website anyway. If it were me, id spend the extra $100 and get the triple double setup. Thats just me... I'm not sponsored or anything and its not just because i have derisi's setup.... just seems like a better deal to me. Even though, Gt thunders setup could work better, i cant tell you for sure... this is JMO. :macho

TRX450RACER174
11-29-2007, 07:50 PM
I have the Derisi rebuilds and they were great ,Santo really takes the time to understand how you want them to feel and sets them up to how you want them that was my biggest issue with GTT was the lack of understanding how i wanted them to feel, I have a L/T setup on the way right now so i am ditching the rebuilds but i would go with Derisi.

11-30-2007, 08:01 AM
All the pros use GT Thunder. That tells me something. I'm happy with mine.

F150marine
11-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Good point. What are the pros running!

11-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Some of the top GNCC pros run GT Thunder rebuilt stock shocks.

F150marine
11-30-2007, 01:32 PM
I never thought pro GNCC guys would even run any form of stock shocks. That really makes me feel good that there is hope for stock shocks.

Are most pro's running stock a-arms or using new ones but with the same stock length?

11-30-2007, 01:47 PM
They use +.5 a-arms for XC to keep the quad skinny. Your stock ones will be fine.

bloodmoney23
11-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by F150marine
I never thought pro GNCC guys would even run any form of stock shocks. That really makes me feel good that there is hope for stock shocks.

Are most pro's running stock a-arms or using new ones but with the same stock length?

well when you think about it, they are stock Showa shocks......the internals just need redone and the stocks could be very nice. Its not like they just put garbage shocks on it like a stock banshee shock.

11-30-2007, 10:23 PM
rebuilds are great...

yfzmx10
12-01-2007, 06:20 AM
call precision concepts and see how much they charge for rebuilds. bob bell has been racing desert for years