PDA

View Full Version : I gots me a raptor

skawful
11-29-2007, 08:43 AM
So last night i picked up an 02 Raptor with a 686 bore

Its in OK shape, rides great, but I only paid $2200 for it... So I think I made out alright...

The guy said a couple things that maybe you guys can help me translate as I am a total newbie to quads...

He handed me this screw cap lined in clear rubber and said fuel will leak since this isn't in the carb... no idea what he is talking about...

He said it floods really easy on cold starts... is this due to the manual choke? any tips on starting? The choke is completely different than the 450r's and other honda's i've ridden...

Also he gave me a new clutch kit....

So I'm thinking of getting it all tuned up and checked out at a dealership...

What are some things I should ask them to look at?

I just want something that will start every time... (well who doesnt...)

How much do repairs run usually?

I'm hoping it wont be too much as it runs pretty well right now... fast as hell

Also, anyone know where I can download an owners manual and a service manual??? it was easy to find th 450r's...

Any help/advice would be awesome - thanks, - skaw.

Flatheadyoungin
12-01-2007, 05:13 AM
since you didn't get much of a response, here, try going over to the raptorforum.com and posting your question......some pretty knowledgeable people over there.....

homer
12-02-2007, 12:59 PM
I think the little thing you are talking about is an anti-splash thingy for the carb. It's a technical term, I know, but I think it is supposed to go around the main jet to make sure that fuel us surrounding the main jet while the quad is bouncing around. Not sure, I'd have to see a pic.

hondarider101
12-14-2007, 07:08 PM
you should have gotten a honda!!

RaptorLover
12-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Ag HondaRider101 , you don't know what you are missing !!
Skawful , try this website , this dude is an genius www.quadparts.co.za

MadDog56
12-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Sounds like he dicked with the carbs without know what he was doing. It shouldn't flood when the choke is used, the choke works fine on the mikunis.

I'd say it's time to take the carbs apart and see what's wrong with them.

f4istunna
12-16-2007, 05:41 PM
ya id say it would be a good idea to take the carb off and inspect/clean. I usually always clean the carb and check the jetting when i buy a used bike. Along w/ valves, oil change, air filter, grease etc.

Im sure your mechanic will do all this (basic tune up) if you dont fee comfortable doing it yourself.

mxraptor149
12-16-2007, 06:41 PM
If it's an 02 big-bore and he gave you a clutch kit, I would guess it probably hasn't ever been replaced. Put in the new stack and springs this winter. What kind of kit did he give you? If it's not GYT-R, I wouldn't feel comfortable using it with the 686.

Everyone else is right on with the carbs. I tear my carbs apart every winter, sometimes twice a season, and I've never noticed anything lined with clear rubber, unless it's just an overflow tube running from below the carb float bowls.

As for flooding, it shouldn't. You might ask your mechanic to check the choke plunger and see if any of the choke parts need replaced.

As for other issues, have the mechanix check your valve lash too. New plug, fresh oil, air filter maintenance are all musts with a used quad.

mxdad423
12-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by hondarider101
you should have gotten a honda!!

Why should he of bought a Honda, he wants something he can ride not something he has to dump money into every time he takes it for a spin............