PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a little more power.

zack221
11-28-2007, 07:16 PM
Ok I am thinking about racing next year and I am looking for some suggestions on what motor mods i should do to help my 400 keep up with the 450's at the track. I was thinking 440 kit (not sure what kind any suggestions) ,kibblewhite valves, probably stage 2 cam (not real sure what stage I need), CRF450 Timing Chain with new sprockets and adjusters, HD Head Studs, 450r Carburetor and bigger Oil Cooler.

This is all I can think of for right now. Is a 440 kit going to be reliable? I have heard lots of stories about big bores not being reliable at all but I have also read on here that if they are built right they can be reliable. This is some of my parts that I can think of for right now. If you want to suggest something besides these parts please post it because I am just looking for ideas right now. It will probably be February before I have the money saved to get all of this stuff so I have a lot of time to think about it. Also do you think I could do this work myself if i bought a manual and timing light to get it back in time. I think I am pretty mechanically inclined i have rebuilt 2 stroke motors and I also took my Old Cr 125 down to bare frame and painted the frame and rebuilt the motor. I am also one that checks my work 3 or 4x before putting it back together and i am ecspecially careful when it comes to motor work. Please don't suggest a 450 because i do not want one because my 400 is perfect for what i do right now but i also want to use it for racing.

m36indiana
11-28-2007, 07:37 PM
if you plan on racing, best thing to work on is suspension, then motor if you feel you still cant keep up.

11-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by m36indiana
if you plan on racing, best thing to work on is suspension, then motor if you feel you still cant keep up.

you hit the spot. suspension and handling will provide a more comfortable ride and much quicker times. what mods do you currently have? if its all stock 1st things 1st get some nerf bars.

red_rider_069
11-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
you hit the spot. suspension and handling will provide a more comfortable ride and much quicker times. what mods do you currently have? if its all stock 1st things 1st get some nerf bars. lol why nerf bars? i sugest the bore kit :D.. with 12.5:1 compression.. there only 300 bucks on ebay comesw with stage 2 magnum cams.. its a wiseco piston and a namara sleeve.. i recomend a cdi box too.. and well if you have enough money i would get a +4 stroker kit.. make u quad a 465.. idk if u would still be able to race.. cuz i race by age.. and i recomend suspension aswell.. mostly front shocks.. if u dont wanna by a arms hubs will help some too.. just suggestion.. and do u have exhaust?

11-28-2007, 08:31 PM
well i said nerfs because if your going to race i would deffinately get nerf bars. i'm not sur eabout all tracks but most of them require you to have a tether kill switch and nerf bars.

red_rider_069
11-28-2007, 08:53 PM
oh wel i've always had nerfs so idk lol thansk for reply.. good luck racing mr!

zack221
11-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Yea nerfs was going to come before the motor work and then suspension after the motor work. But maybe I should go with suspension first and then save up the money to completely rebuild my topend and make it a 440. Right now i have a white brothers slip-on. But i am going to go with a full yoshi exhaust. How much would a revalve for the rear shock be?

drew416ex
11-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Cant remember who does it but Elka has a rebuild kit that revalves and resprings it for your weight and riding style, and its also a no preload spring setup for $350. Thats what i did with mine.

zack221
11-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Did you like the elka setup? I already have a tether kill switch and my track doesn't require nerfbars but i am buying them anyways. Heres a pic of my 400 as it sits and my yz250 beside it.

drew416ex
11-29-2007, 02:40 PM
I love the elka setup. It lowers your ride height a couple of inches and really helps out on the jumps. It prob isnt as good as a rear elka shock, but for the money its awesome.

red_rider_069
11-29-2007, 02:53 PM
yummy! well yea get the yoshi full thats what i got.. its nice.. i got nerfs on mine too.. the yoshi i jsut got.. i'll send ya a pic if u send me email.. cant psot here cause of file is too big.. and i really recomend gopartsdirect.com.. but if u order there call them.. they have more than what the website offers.. that is if u cant find waht u want on the web site.. oh yea.. call em up.. they give u perfect spects on what you are buying.. other than that there prices are very cheap! give it a try..

trx400EXtreme
11-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by zack221
Yea nerfs was going to come before the motor work and then suspension after the motor work. But maybe I should go with suspension first and then save up the money to completely rebuild my topend and make it a 440. Right now i have a white brothers slip-on. But i am going to go with a full yoshi exhaust. How much would a revalve for the rear shock be? sfracing(PEP) will set up your rear shock for arounf 350.

honda8&3
11-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Well aftermarket shocks are prolly going to make the best ride. PEP race series fronts are under 800 dollars and give you the ability to adjust them through remote rezzies. But for the price 450r front shocks you can get for like 150 and get all three of you shocks revalved and resprung and a new piston for 700 bucks from C&DRACING. That would give you a nice ride for like less than a thousand dollars for all three. Then get some nerfs (with heel guards) and tether kill switch a steering stabilizer (definetly a must have IMO), beadlock rims and a good XC setup set of tires (Hipers are very popular or Douglas and Razr2 fronts with Razr rears are very popular tire setup especially because they are 6-ply tires) and DEFFINETLY SKID PLATES. At least chassis and swingarm from either PRO ARMOR, or PRM, those two IMO are the best out there. And you are prolly going to want a wider front bumper so if you hit a tree then you have less risk of tweaking your frame or a arms. This is all JMO but are all must haves for XC racing. Just remember this order
1. Skid Plates/ Bumpers (protect you investment)
2. Suspension!!!
3. Motor work/ flashy items

:D

zack221
11-29-2007, 08:29 PM
I am not racing XC so i dont need any skid plates or bumpers. I would love to race xc but there arent any tracks around here. I am racing MX.

zack221
11-29-2007, 08:31 PM
PEP is what I wanted as far as suspension goes but I probably wont go with c&d racing revalve they might do good work but i would rather not get into why c&d racing is not my favorite company.