PDA

View Full Version : RAD axle nut install

mc_racer
11-28-2007, 05:43 PM
I bought a RAD axle locknut but didn't get the instructions. Does anyone have a set they can scan or even fax to me?
I understand how it mounts up, but I don't know how far I need to tighten the nut. I have the torque specs for the stock nut, but do I need to use the same specs or are they different?
Thanks

NacsMXer
11-29-2007, 07:45 AM
I have the same axle nut. You don't really have to torque the crap out of it like with the stocker. You just need it tight enough to stop side to side axle movement, the pinch bolts will do the rest.

I didn't really want to put a wrench on it so I put a leather glove over it for a better grip and tightened it with two hands as tight as I could get it. Then lock down the 2 pinch bolts and you're set. Mine hasn't budged using this method.

If you really want to, you can use a big wrench on it, but be very careful when tightening as the aluminum threads are soft.

mc_racer
11-29-2007, 10:25 AM
That's what I thought. It seemed strange that I could tighten it far enough by hand to put the bearings in a bind. So I backed it off till they rolled freely, then locked it down. Thanks for the help.

wayfastwhitey69
12-01-2007, 04:52 PM
how long do they stay tight for??