PDA

View Full Version : bent rim and a few racing questions

jesseweaver
11-28-2007, 02:13 PM
bent a part of the inside of the rear right rim. it still holds air, but i should prolly get new rims. im going to race a little next year, mx and harescrambles. is it worth it to get beadlocks? and i dont have a lot of money, so is there a cheaper kind than Hipers or something that are still good? and should a get smaller rims and then 18's on the back? right now i have 20's, but need new tires by next season, theyre getting bald. and what tires should i get? if im gonna do a little bit of mx and xc, i dont really know what play or anything. also if i get 18's, should i change the gearing at all? and i have Razrs in the front that dont have a lot of tread left. is it really important to have a lot of tread left on the fronts? should i get new front tires? what kind of tires? i need a kill switch, what kind? and i need number plates right? where should i get them? and should i get the number stickers on the rear fenders, too? i cant put a number in my front bumper, should i forget about that, or get a new front bumper?

ha sorry about all of the questions, i didnt realize i had so many. thanks in advance.

drew416ex
11-28-2007, 03:07 PM
If you dont want to spend too much money but still want some nice strong wheels, go with the itp baja wheels. Bead locks are nice, but they can get pricy.

For mx and xc, you may want to run 20s. 18s would do better on the mx track but not as good in xc. I didnt change my gearing when i went to 18s so you should be fine there if you have stock gearing.

You will want new tires up front also. They may feel like they turn fine but, you dont reallize how much different it is until you get new fronts.

Any tether kill switch will work. I have a prodesign.

Its up to the track whether or not you a number plate so you will have to talk to them. I would put numbers on your rear fenders because they are easier to spot. As far as the front you can put some on the nose of the front plastic.

As far as what tire to use, im not sure about xc, but the kenda klaw mxr works really well in mx.

jesseweaver
11-28-2007, 03:40 PM
yea i forgot about the numbers on the nose of the plastics. i know some places u can have headlights, im looking to get a new hood, probably a carbon fiber one. anyone know wheres a good place to get these?

and i have stock gearing, should i change it if i keep 20s?

where is a good place to order some numbers for the rear fenders and nose?

Icant be any number i want can i? does the ama assign you a number?

dustin_j
11-28-2007, 03:50 PM
I believe you pick your own number, at least that's how it was in Iowa. Pick a high (3 digit probably) number and people are less likely to have it. If somebody has it you might have to tape an "x" behind it or something, just guessing.

If money is tight post in the wanted or for sale and get used stuff. I just got mx tires about 75% tread and beadlocks off here pretty cheap used.

drew416ex
11-28-2007, 05:02 PM
The gearing is up to you. How does the power feel. If you want a little more low end take off, go down a tooth on the front. Rockymountainatvmc.com can make you custom number plates that are pretty cool. Im not sure about picking your number or not, you will have to ask someone that goes to the track or call the track and find out.