PDA

View Full Version : Kill switch

QuadJunkies
11-28-2007, 11:11 AM
We need to order a new Killswitch and wondered what ya'll use?

We have tried one(Ill have to ask which one it was, I cant remember) and it wont right correctly. We even had a friend who is an electrician try to wire it and wont work.
I want to say it was a Pro Armor or Pro Design,just not sure which of the two. Ill find out from Troy and ask.:p

Andyman17dad
11-28-2007, 11:27 AM
I prefer the Pro Armor over the Pro Design.

The ProArmor has a T handle that makes it easier to pull with
gloves on.

The ProDesign switches are good if you do a double zip tie kind of loop thing that works well.

QuadJunkies
11-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Andyman17dad
I prefer the Pro Armor over the Pro Design.

The ProArmor has a T handle that makes it easier to pull with
gloves on.

I dbl. checked with Troy and he siad yes, that is what we have also and prefers it for the same reasons...
When you pull the kill, it runs and when you plug it in it turns off:huh or something silimar to that .lol
Do you have the directions on the wiring?
We run this kill on the other minis and never had this issue before.
The Pro Design I think is what I run on my quad.

humboldt hills
11-28-2007, 01:27 PM
you don't wire it the same as the original kill switch.
The original switch on your bike is a live switch, which means it is a continuous circut until you disconnect, which cuts the circut.
the pro armor works like a ground. You run one wire to a ground and the other to the coil. When you pull the cord it grounds out the coil and stops the engine. you will have to jumper your old switch so it is live all the time.
good luck

dblacks
11-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Pro Armour

wvspeedfreak
11-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by humboldt hills
you don't wire it the same as the original kill switch.
The original switch on your bike is a live switch, which means it is a continuous circut until you disconnect, which cuts the circut.
the pro armor works like a ground. You run one wire to a ground and the other to the coil. When you pull the cord it grounds out the coil and stops the engine. you will have to jumper your old switch so it is live all the time.
good luck

Good explanation.We ran into the same thing on our drr.I wired it the same way I did on our Kasea and it would run with the tether pulled out and kill it when it was plugged in.Now,here is my question about the CDI's.You have 5 wires on the CDI box....
2 go to the stator(white/red and blk/red)
1 to the coil (orange)
1 to a chassis ground (blk)
1 that the non grounded end killswitch wire connects to(white/blk)

This is how I wired our Kaseas and worked as it should however on the drr if I wired it this way it would do as I decribed above,it worked backwards.I ran the white/black wire coming off the cdi to a chassis ground and then just tied the non grounded side of the killswitch wire into the coil wire to make it work as it should.

Now to my question.....Is the difference in how they need to be wired in the cdi itself?We have always used the Pro Design killswitches that are the no (normally open) style switches.I assume you could use a nc (normally closed) style switch on the drr's and wire it right to the cdi instead of tying it into the coil wire.This would be allowing the switch to supply the ground to the cdi it needs to make it work and then interrupting the ground to effectively kill it when the tether is pulled.

Just to clarify,the cdi on uur drr is the high rev one from drr.The cdi we run on the Kasea is a Malossi.

etondaddy
11-28-2007, 05:02 PM
I had the same problem. After talking to Justin Hall (Max RPM) he told me you should never ground through the CDI. Take the black and the black/white from the cdi and ground them both. Take the wire from the body side of the tether and ground it take the wire from the plunger side of the tether and tap it into the coil wire. Try not to cut the wire in half just strip a piece and solder in the tether wire. Now that was with a cdi from Dinli. You may have to not connect the black/white to nothing. It's just like grounding a old lawnmower with a screwdriver. Don't reverse the tether wires because the chrome plate at the end of the tether is now hot while it's running and I seen some kids gat zapped.

markvette
11-28-2007, 07:32 PM
etondaddy
that is the way i have always wired the tether switches. tie into the coil positive and ground the other wire. i have never used the cdi wires and knock on wood i have never had a problem with one, ground the black and the black/white too.

Mark

Nichols Atvs
11-28-2007, 07:41 PM
I was told to run one wire to the orange wire on the coil and to ground the other ,I have never had any pronlems with the way i did all of them.I dont touch the CDI at all.

wvspeedfreak
11-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by etondaddy
You may have to not connect the black/white to nothing..

That answered my question Mike,thanks.Evidently some cdi's won't work with this wire grounded.That's how the Malossi's we have are.The one on the drr won't work unless it IS grounded(it's not a Malossi cdi).

11-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Pingle.....
or fool around with the junk mentioned above .

tom450r
11-28-2007, 09:04 PM
everytime i've seen a pingle in a wreck the teather says in and the cord breaks (seen it 3 times myself) that is a problem.

QuadJunkies
11-28-2007, 11:59 PM
Thanks Guys, I appreciate it .
Ill make sure and have Troy read this ,Im sure this will be very helpful. :)

11-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by tom450r
everytime i've seen a pingle in a wreck the teather says in and the cord breaks (seen it 3 times myself) that is a problem.
Good for you. have ya seen one fall apart?? short out shocking your kid?? or just not work when the clip/pin is removed just stay running..even if it worked 2 minutes before??..no you have not and its American made.. but you shouldent worrie about a kill switch with that intake you are looking at yours will not say running any ways to long!

Nichols Atvs
11-29-2007, 08:38 PM
720 Why do you always slam on people why dont you share some of your knowlage about products you come off as being a little stand off ish For all i know you could be a great asset to racing but you are going about it a liitle different just slaming on thing maybe try telling your expenices with stuff instead . Just and idea.

QuadJunkies
11-30-2007, 12:19 AM
Nichols Atvs is 100% correct.

Why ??

This forum values each and every post and several of us have become freinds afar, and have been a great help to one another.You obviously have alot of knowledge and have done alot with the mini industry,but you need to brush up on some manorism.

tom450r
11-30-2007, 10:09 PM
luck everyone else here has the right idea of an opinion, they are all valuble even if you don't agree with them. and lucky for me yours doesn't matter much if it did your comment tells me that pingles break & all others don't work. so i am geussing your kid doesn't run one at all to avoid those problems. maybe you should let your kid post we'll keep him or her safe, & maybe they will take in all info offered like the rest of us. good luck!?!?!? riginally posted by ......720 [/i]
Good for you. have ya seen one fall apart?? short out shocking your kid?? or just not work when the clip/pin is removed just stay running..even if it worked 2 minutes before??..no you have not and its American made.. but you shouldent worrie about a kill switch with that intake you are looking at yours will not say running any ways to long! [/QUOTE]

jerkyboy
12-01-2007, 07:20 AM
We run both My little guy has a pro design and havent had any trouble. I used the pingel only because its on a ltr450 and didnt want to run into trouble with the computer. Had 1 pingel fail but that was due to a reck.

tom450r
12-02-2007, 01:45 PM
thats the only time youreally need them to work, thats what i've found in my wrecks also (PINGLE=PROBLEM)

QuadJunkies
12-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Ok... I have to ask..what the heck is a Pingle? Sorry, I have no clue what that is .:p LOL

wvspeedfreak
12-02-2007, 02:25 PM
It is a brand of killswitch Tina.Here is a link ...http://www.pingelonline.com/kill_switches.htm

QuadJunkies
12-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks Jason, I had no idea there was another brand .:p

etondaddy
12-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Ok... I have to ask..what the heck is a Pingle? Sorry, I have no clue what that is .:p LOL
They're billet aluminum and very expensive. i used this one once on a stock e-ton with a stock wiring harness because it was normally closed......back when I didn't have a clue........... lol like I have one now lol a clue that is. The problem is the jesus clip is stronger than the cord.
http://www.pingelonline.com/two_piece.htm

QuadJunkies
12-02-2007, 03:35 PM
I was thinking Pingle was some type of terminology ya'll were using for something I knew nopthing about . LOL!
I am Blonde,so I do have those moments once in awhile .:o
Maybe it has something to do with the Nyquil Ive taken all wk end .:ermm: