PDA

View Full Version : ATVing takes another hit.

Pipeless416
11-28-2007, 01:50 AM
while reading the paper today i came across this article- http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-11-26-atv-safety_N.htm
i was having a good day until i read the completely anal and ignorant comments by the so called "experts." i think this really calls on us to be more pro-active towards our sport. Parents- don't let your kids ride a 600 pound ute, dont take your two year old for a ride if you're not certain they will remain safe, wear your helmets!!! my guess is that this does not apply to most people on this site, but these people feed off of idiots. reading crap like this makes me absolutely furious. :mad: reading the comments did not help. so lets all register for that site, and defend our interest/hobby/lifestyle in a mature, nonthreatening way. that is the first step in being "pro-active." these people who hover over their own toilets after lysoling them, who never allow their kids to get papercuts or colds, will never understand us unless we speak up in a respectable manner.
-mike

Pipeless416
11-28-2007, 02:13 AM
I am inviting everybody to create a user name, preferably their user name on here, and defend us. heres mine
Lou Siffer and others with like views: I am personally insulted and sickened by how narrow minded your views are. I am an ATV rider myself, and believe me, I see ignorance on the trails. However, banning 16 year olds from ATVs will not solve the problem. For many, ATVing is an 'antidrug/crime/violence." Taking away a hobby from our youth that occupies their time, teaches responsibility, and gives them an outlet will only create more dysfunctional residents in this nation. Studies like this take the easy way out and blame the machine as the problem; when are parents going to start taking responsibility for their own neglect? When are parents going to say, "No, you can't ride that 600 lb full size atv, you're only 12."? ATVs, like anything, are ONLY AS DANGEROUS AS THE OPERATOR MAKES THEM. ATVing is a growing industry that is a force to be reckoned with. You can not simply say, "Too many kids are getting hurt." The root of the problem is what needs to be attacked: irresponsible parents. Before you go and stereotype ME and all of the other RESPONSIBLE RIDERS, take a look around you. There are so many problems that need attention. Oh, and I am not a redneck/hillbilly, nor do I reside in a trailer park.

11-28-2007, 08:16 AM
very well said pipeless

i left my comment on there...as i usually leave one if i can

400exrider707
11-28-2007, 08:19 AM
I like your response. Very well thought out... though not sure about the redneck hilbilly thing at the bottom!? haha. I'm registering right now. You're right we ALL need to start being more pro-active.

400exrider707
11-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Man I dont even know what I just typed, I left enough info to write a novel about the sport, and I still feel like I left A LOT out.

C'mon guys, I know more of you are capable of registering and commenting, just be sure to keep it civil guys. It directly reflects on us.

Pipeless416
11-28-2007, 09:25 AM
thanks guys, we need this.

BlaineKaiser450
11-28-2007, 09:50 AM
it wouldnt let me post my coment for no reason but i had written a HUGE amount of stuff about this :mad:

F-16Guy
11-28-2007, 09:53 AM
What kills me is how out of context everything is. They say that injuries doubled, but what about the increase in the total number of riders in that timespan? Probably increased five-fold!!!! So if you look at it from a per-capita standpoint, injuries have probably actually decreased! How many children die or are injured in car wrecks because of irresponsible parents?? Maybe we should ban anyone under the age of 16 from riding in a car. Same concept, right? The hyocrisy of all of these ignorant liberals makes me sick. Anyone with half a brain can see what is really driving this, and it has more to do with the liberal agenda than it does with child injuries. All I can say is that money and numbers talk, so join a local or national off-road recreation rights organization and put your money where your mouth is.

Exrider434
11-28-2007, 10:49 AM
ray davies wrote: 1d 13h ago
There are better things for kids too do than ride ATV's. Maybe something that does not involve more sitting on their butts.

That one reaallly pissed me off. Obviously he has never ridden or better yet raced a quad. It takes so much endurance and strength its a good thing to do, i know it keeps me active. Anyone can ride a quad its just a matter of how they were taught or even if they were taught to ride one, but the parents that just hand their kids the keys and let them go are the ones that end up with kids in the hospital. The parents that take the time to teach and dont let them ride out of their sight until they know they are responsible enough to ride alone are the ones that wont have many problems, and will keep this sport going.

400exrider707
11-28-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Exrider434
ray davies wrote: 1d 13h ago
There are better things for kids too do than ride ATV's. Maybe something that does not involve more sitting on their butts.

That one reaallly pissed me off. Obviously he has never ridden or better yet raced a quad. It takes so much endurance and strength its a good thing to do, i know it keeps me active. Anyone can ride a quad its just a matter of how they were taught or even if they were taught to ride one, but the parents that just hand their kids the keys and let them go are the ones that end up with kids in the hospital. The parents that take the time to teach and dont let them ride out of their sight until they know they are responsible enough to ride alone are the ones that wont have many problems, and will keep this sport going.

Yeah that really got to me too, I left quite a long comment, I made mention of Mr. Davies in there too. Morons.

400exrider707
11-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
All I can say is that money and numbers talk, so join a local or national off-road recreation rights organization and put your money where your mouth is.

Proud AMA member right here.

AtvMxRider
11-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Yes but what they don't say is how many kids ate hurt playing football or baseball or other sports???? What pisses me off the most is 95% of the time it is the parents fault because they don't watch their kids.

BlaineKaiser450
11-28-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Proud AMA member right here.

400exrider707
11-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Yes but what they don't say is how many kids ate hurt playing football or baseball or other sports???? What pisses me off the most is 95% of the time it is the parents fault because they don't watch their kids.

Read the comments if you haven't. The article didn't upset me nearly as much as some of the peoples comments. I cant believe how dumb some of these people truly are.

For anyone who didn't read the comments, if you think you're upset now, then you probably shouldn't read them.

Pipeless416
11-28-2007, 12:33 PM
keep it coming guys and gals.

TRX450RACER174
11-28-2007, 01:09 PM
I tried to make a post and it wouldnt let me cause of some of my text, i proofread it twice but couldn't figure out what it was i will try again later.

400exrider707
11-28-2007, 01:33 PM
No matter what I do I cant seem to bring up the comments anymore and I cant seem to find a place to log in.... I dont get their website at all.

Nick110
11-28-2007, 01:41 PM
I commented. These people are insane.

Pipeless416
11-28-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
No matter what I do I cant seem to bring up the comments anymore and I cant seem to find a place to log in.... I dont get their website at all.

we're getting a lot of good rebuttals. the comments dont load on mine right away but if i scroll down and leave it there, they eventually come up. keep going at it everybody! its a war of ignorance, and we're clearly losing....which is good. :D

Mxjunkie
11-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Head injuries also were common. The team counted 85 skull fractures, 66 cases of bleeding in the brain and 59 children who had damage to the brain tissue. In some cases, the head injury was mild and the patient recovered, but in other cases, the brain didn't heal completely. "Some kids end up with learning problems," he says.

This right here really gripes my arse.. If the kids were not wearing helmets it is THERE fault not the atv! If your too cool to wear a helmet when you ride then I hope you think it's cool when your sitting there drooling all over yourself and you cant help it..

It is kids like this that ruin our sport and create the image of " dangerous " ATV's for people.

Ghost-Rider
11-28-2007, 03:55 PM
I hear ya junkie.

I'm registering.

416exfreak
11-28-2007, 03:56 PM
People like that kid need to be pimp slapped into submission then tied behind the quad and drug through an antbed.:scary:

Pipeless416
11-28-2007, 08:15 PM
ttt. i dont normally bump things..

400exrider707
11-29-2007, 06:09 AM
I left the page up for more than 30 minutes yesterday and still couldn't get the comments to come back up. Dang! I'll try again today.

11-29-2007, 06:24 AM
i couldn't get them to come up yesterday while using the ps3 to surf...the showed today though

Kickstarts-suck
11-29-2007, 06:41 AM
Guess my video was taken down :ermm:

400exrider707
11-29-2007, 07:01 AM
I've left the page up since I got here at around 7 this morning, its now 9, and its not loading, I've tried refreshing and everything... this is even more irritating than the topic at hand!

NJ450rider
12-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Yeah i know how you guys feel. Trust me NJ has it way worse than 75% of the other states. Were still fighting to get a new atv park to open up after the NJORVP closes at the end of 2008. Its not looking good and i fear there wont be a legal place to ride after september 2008 in NJ. Its a real shame to because there are so many uninformed people here against any kind of offroad park in NJ. Our state DEP promised not one but TWO state run parks in NJ by 2005. Its now the end of 2007 going into 2008 and we have NONE. The real kicker is that the federal government gives NJ almost 2 million a year to maintain an offroad park system. where is that money going!?!?!?!?! NOT where its supposed to thats for sure.

Its way past time to make a stand for our sport for its survival.