PDA

View Full Version : RAD axle nut

mc_racer
11-27-2007, 09:43 PM
I bought a RAD axle locknut but didn't get the instructions. Does anyone have a set they can scan or even fax to me? I can PM my fax number if that works.
Thanks

86 Quad R
11-28-2007, 07:44 AM
is this the RAD locker you have? if so. they work on the same principle as the OEM. only difference is that it clamps in place once the adjustment is set and has a seperate ring that slides over the lil circlip.

http://www.radmfg.com/radloc.htm

mc_racer
11-28-2007, 04:57 PM
That's the one. I understand how it mounts up, but I don't know how far I need to tighten the nut. I have the torque specs for the stock nut, but do I need to use the same specs or are they different?

wilkin250r
11-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Look at the specs for the stock nut. It comes with two specs. The spec for the Outer nut is about 60-70ft-lbs, and it pushes against the retaining ring.

The spec for the inner nut is about 90-100ft-lbs to jam against the other and keep them from spinning.

Well, think about it. The RAD nut pushes against the retaining ring, but the pinch bolt keeps it from moving so it doesn't need a jam nut. Hence, you don't need the jam-nut torque spec.

The RAD nut takes place of the Outer nut. Thus, you should be using the torque specs for the Outer nut, 60-70ft lbs. It should be snug, but if you over-torque it, it will bind up the rear end.