PDA

View Full Version : 05 jetting HELP!

yamadog
11-27-2007, 04:40 PM
alright im buying an exhaust but dont know how im going to do the jetting part. i have never worked on a 4 stroke carb before. when i buy the sparks pipe kit would i only have to change the needle, and main jet and possibly adjust the air screw. Would i have to remove my airbox lid. Ive jetted a blaster before, is it the similar setup? and i asked this before, if i get good instructions i can do it but is it worth just paying a shop to jet it for me

bloodmoney23
11-27-2007, 09:24 PM
same thing as a blaster carb pretty much man. well at least same concept. just buy the kit that comes with pipe or get a dynojet kit or something. Look at your other thread and i got some stuff posted there. If you still have stock needle then put it on 4th clip but you may want to invest in an HRC needle. But if you buy the Dynojet stage 1&2 kit it comes with a needle and tells you what you need to do.

Ty's400
11-27-2007, 09:49 PM
All you should need to change is the main jet and I recommend the HRC needle. Then adjust your air/fuel mixture screw. I'd take the airbox lid off, if you have a good air filter setup, for sure.

yamadog
11-28-2007, 08:33 AM
yeh cause i know that the sparks kit comes with a needle and a few jets, the question is which one do i use?

Colby@C&DRacing
11-28-2007, 08:51 AM
We recommend the HRC jet kit and a larger pilot jet.

400exrider707
11-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Talk with Colby @ C&D, he'll help you out and get you in the right direction. You cant simply change one jet and expect it to be OK. You made changes to the way the air enters and exits the motor, you need to change the fuel to compensate. Changing the main is only one circuit on the carb. What about the other circuits? You need to change the main, the pilot jet, adjust the needle/maybe change the needle, and adjust the fuel screw. Its not complicated and if you've jetted a blaster you already have the understanding. Good luck and feel free to ask questions.

Ty's400
11-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by yamadog
yeh cause i know that the sparks kit comes with a needle and a few jets, the question is which one do i use?

I'd start with a high main like 185 or 190. You don't need to change the stock pilot on the 05s (48 is good) I did and it was too much, so went back to stock. Most people run the needle on the third clip from the top (depends a little bit where you live/ride). Then adjust your air/fuel screw out 2-2.5 turns from closed.

yamadog
11-28-2007, 02:58 PM
alright i think ill be able to do that

400exrider707
11-28-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Ty's400
I'd start with a high main like 185 or 190. You don't need to change the stock pilot on the 05s (48 is good) I did and it was too much, so went back to stock. Most people run the needle on the third clip from the top (depends a little bit where you live/ride). Then adjust your air/fuel screw out 2-2.5 turns from closed.

Thats a pretty bold statement saying he doesn't need to change the pilot. How do you know? Elevation, temperature and mods all play a role in jetting. I'm running a 52 pilot myself.

Ty's400
11-28-2007, 07:48 PM
True, I'm sorry didn't mean it the way it may sound. I was just giving him some tips/numbers to start with since he was asking. You are correct there are many factors that play a role in jetting. I just wanted to touch on the fact too that the pilot jet doesn't always need changed like people think. C&D Racing told me to go with a bigger 52 pilot with my exhaust, but it was too much. I've heard other engine builders Dasa, Moto X-perts tell me that is way too big when I asked for their help. They said go up on main jets and adjust air/fuel mix screw accordingly. It wouldn't hurt to save a few bucks and try without upping the pilot first. ;)