PDA

View Full Version : new 400ex cam chain help

zfire_28
11-27-2007, 01:44 PM
My 99 400ex has been making a ticking sound. I know that it is not the valves, the noise is coming from the cam chain. I understand that it is a common problem for modified 400ex's to stretch their cam chains, so my guess is that mine is stretched. I have never changed a cam chain before so could anyone give me a step by step on how to do this. I have searched all over the internet on how to do this with no luck. Thanks!!!!!

Glamis400ex
11-27-2007, 02:40 PM
not trying to sound like a d-ick but invest $25 in a manual. You'll be able to take that whole quad apart by yourself.

zfire_28
11-27-2007, 02:47 PM
If someone on here can help me, than why spend the extra money? Besides, isn't that what this forum is for?

Glamis400ex
11-27-2007, 03:41 PM
suit yourself...all I'm saying is that it's pretty involved. I've done it. I just don't understand why you'll spend $5K on a quad and not $25 to learn how to fix it? Good luck

zfire_28
11-27-2007, 05:33 PM
I only want to fix it so I can sell it or trade it on a 4x4, and not feel guilty that someone is getting a turd afterwards. Once its fixed i will no longer have any use for a service manual. So as I said before I don't want to spend any more on this machine than I have to. I like to think of myself as being somewhat mechanically inclined as I have done all the maintainence and repairs on the quad myself in the 6 years that I have owned it, (much to the thanks of the knowledgable members of this site) So if anyone has some usefull info on this, I could sure use it.....if not I will most likely be buying a service manual to fix it because there is no way I am going to take it to the dealer to get raped.

jeremy_283
11-27-2007, 05:41 PM
search around on google, you can probably find one to "illegally" download..... u want a manual, trust me