PDA

View Full Version : 400ex wheelie

aleckuhlmann
11-26-2007, 10:57 PM
I CANT WHEELIE

Any help?
Ive been trying to do wheelies, and have put it in first gear, gotten it to a dead slow, the pull back and gass it but i can nevver hold it/get it up that high.

any suggestions:confused:

WFO400
11-26-2007, 11:05 PM
I suggest you keep trying. Maybe try it in 2nd too, sometimes 1st will just spin the tires depending on your setup. The 400ex is a wheelie machine! so once you get the hang of it, you'll be poppin wheelies left and right. Try sitting back further to make it easier at first, but after you get the hang of it, you can sit on the tank and still pop them.

red_rider_069
11-26-2007, 11:53 PM
first of all it depends.. i do wheelies on pavement by popping the clutch.. on dirt its harder cuz the tires spin out.. i recomend leaning back and flooring it in 2nd :D on dirt

Phillburt57
11-27-2007, 02:01 AM
A little more power never hurt, except the wallet :p

commandman10
11-27-2007, 08:39 AM
I like to have mine revving up a little higher before I pull up. Get the revs up and pull back nad gas at the same time. Always works for me.

Badmammajamma
11-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Put some more meat on your bones. Mine is barely modded and I can rip wheelies all day long.:macho

08400EX
11-27-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm confused, I just bought a used 2005 and I have problems keeping the front end down!

As far as I know it only has a Big Gun Race series slip on, outerwear airbox lid mod, dynojet kit and Uni Filter.

Whenever I hit the throttle in 1st or second I have to lean over the front to keep it down. I am still getting used to it, but honestly I have been a little chicken about winding it all the way out in first and banging 2nd hard for fear of it coming over on me.

When crusing on trails in 2nd or third all I have to do is goose the throttle to hop the front over obstacles.

Maybe there is something wrong with my suspension? The PO did have the rear shock preload all the way soft and it rides low in the back. I did tighten it up a bit as I am 6'2" and 230lbs. I also tried out some 22" rear tires for more ground clearance and it is still the same as before as far as lifting the front on cue.

Maybe it has something more inside the motor?? The owner said he was the original owner and all the mods were disclosed.

Could the lower gearing 13/39 make that much difference?

Here is a list of the mods from the owner and a pic before I cleaned it up.

-UNI Filter
-Dynojet jet kit
-Big Gun Race Series exhaust
-Durablue Eliminator -1/+3 extendable axle
-Durablue billet sprocket hub
-Legacy billet carrier with new bearings
-Magura hydraulic clutch...silky smooth easy pull
-Renthal bars
-Tusk parking brake block off
-Geared 13/39 (also have stock sprockets)
-Rear Outerwears shock cover
-Stainless battery box cover
-Duncan Racing seat cover
-Tires are like new

http://i11.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/c4/b6/d3ee_3.JPG

shadowwalker
11-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by 08400EX
I'm confused, I just bought a used 2005 and I have problems keeping the front end down!

As far as I know it only has a Big Gun Race series slip on, outerwear airbox lid mod, dynojet kit and Uni Filter.

Whenever I hit the throttle in 1st or second I have to lean over the front to keep it down. I am still getting used to it, but honestly I have been a little chicken about winding it all the way out in first and banging 2nd hard for fear of it coming over on me.

When crusing on trails in 2nd or third all I have to do is goose the throttle to hop the front over obstacles.

Maybe there is something wrong with my suspension? The PO did have the rear shock preload all the way soft and it rides low in the back. I did tighten it up a bit as I am 6'2" and 230lbs. I also tried out some 22" rear tires for more ground clearance and it is still the same as before as far as lifting the front on cue.

Maybe it has something more inside the motor?? The owner said he was the original owner and all the mods were disclosed.

Could the lower gearing 13/39 make that much difference?

Here is a list of the mods from the owner and a pic before I cleaned it up.

Between the lower gearing and the exhaust I can see why you'd have trouble keeping it down. Try putting it back to the stock gearing and give it a try.

I dropped down a tooth in front and now I have a full hmf. Once I get it jetted I am probably going to have to move back up to stock.

miller821
11-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Putting one foot back in your grab bar makes a world of difference when you first start out... Makes it much less scarier, and much easier to learn your balance points.

11-27-2007, 07:59 PM
i wasnt able to wheelie all that well until i got over my fear of "flipping back" if you go all the way back you just hit the back bar and nothing happens. everyime i ever fell off the back i got up with a smile on my face because it was actually fun. once you get over that fear of going all the way back you have a perspective of how to find the balancing point. Try either popping the clutch in 2nd while you slam on the seat ot stand up with your legs against the rear plastics and hit the gas and pull as hard as you can. i can do them in sugar sand like that

trx400EXtreme
11-27-2007, 08:17 PM
the main thing id DONT BE SCARED TO HIT THE GRAB BAR. once you get past that, assuming you are already, wheelies are simple. just give it a litle more gas and find your balance point. keep all you weight to the back.

danbap
11-27-2007, 08:21 PM
my quad is stock and i just put my foot on the grab bar and it will lift right up im only like 130lbs so its alot easier to do it that way i still cant find the "balance point" but i can hold it for a little while.

11-27-2007, 08:33 PM
i'm 145lbs on a stock performance wise 400ex. I was always afraid of wheelies until i learned them. My friend (one of the best riders I have seen) can wheelie for miles no problem. seriously he has wheelied for miles even with someone on the back. one day he said let me drive your quad and sit on the back, i held on and he showed me everything to know about wheelies and then he got off an let me try. no problem after that just popping it up there and doing slow wheelies to fast ones. best thing is to have someone good like tha teach you but that isnt always easy to find. just put it in 2nd gear, roll a little, rev up and pop the clutch as you slam your butt onto the rear of the seat and it should go right up.

glamiskid395
11-27-2007, 10:13 PM
im 135 LBS and i can wheelie all day long in the sand at glamis.
all i do is go into 2nd and let it bog down, then i lean way back and gas it and the same time, and it pops right up. i let it bog down so if i start falling down i can give it gas to get it back up.

in 3rd gear im about half throttle and gas it and lean back and go from there!

i never use breaks cuz im leanin on the rear fenders and my foot wont bend that way to get to the rear break!

good luck!

Backstabber
11-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Find a grassy place and just pull wheelies all day. I did it on a 300ex in high school and the rest is history. In stock form I pulled wheelies in 2nd gear on my 400ex. Bring it up in the R's and let off the throttle then when the front end dives and you drop a few R's snap the throttle and up she goes. Maybe I'm explaining this all weird but thats how I did it. Get a chest guard and dont be afraid to fall, I did plenty of times. Just dont reach back, that ends in a dislocated shoulder. :devil:

03trx400
11-28-2007, 01:20 PM
unless your back shock is shot it should be easy like everyone else said. down a dirt road i can get mine up in 4th most of the time and 3rd is no problem..and mine is stock as far as power..

jesseweaver
11-28-2007, 02:03 PM
dude not cool, wear a helmet.

i wheelie a lot, and heard its bad for 400ex cause they dont get enough oil or something. is this true? and how much wheelieing is too much?

11-28-2007, 02:11 PM
this is the guy i was mentioning that i learned to wheelie from. he is amazing at it can ride for miles anyway.

***Hopefully you wont learn to be stupid and ride without a helmet like that nimrod***

Picture removed

Quad Dude
11-28-2007, 04:06 PM
me and my dad both have 400exs i guess my brother does too but i got mine piped camed piston exhaust air filter and tc ignition box geared down. and it will wheel on commad in the lower part of the power band. but my dads with just a hot cam and piston and gutted stock exhaust. and his will pull them in a higher part of the power band. and i noticed that his rear shock is set odd it has rebound set really fast like right now. and mines slower. and his will pull it up at a faster speed with less power. ?????? i do have my fenders cut and he dont but my bros is the same as mine and he has fenders. i think its just some are differnt then others unless im over looking something. but yes all 400ex will wheelie for miles.

250exkid
11-28-2007, 04:27 PM
my special K wheelie

***Special k indeed, try a helmet because I am pretty sure you can photoshop away stupidity***

Picture removed

mrpimpoligist
11-28-2007, 07:13 PM
does anybody shift when they ride a wheelie? I am only 115 pounds and when i ride a wheelie i pull it up in second and shift to third and then fourth but it usually goes down in fourth...

zdowell
11-28-2007, 07:38 PM
In regards to wheelies being bad for your machine.. If they were bad my friends quads and my quad would be blown up already. We do them all the time, my buddy anthony can slow roll wheelies for as long as the road goes. Our quads dont smoke, burn oil or anything of that nature. i dont really believe in helmets when im just doin wheelies, but i dont go beyond 1st or 2nd gear while doing it. I usually get to a field take off the helmet and play around with wheelies for a bit. But when i ride trails i ALWAYS wear a helmet!

11-28-2007, 07:46 PM
"***Hopefully you wont learn to be stupid and ride without a helmet like that nimrod***"

my picture was removed i guess because my friend wasnt wearing a helmet and it might be an influence.

i would never ride my quad without a helmet even if it wasnt nescecary. helmets save lives and i have put that to the test and have seen many around that have died because they hit something without wearing a helmet. I hit a tree, broke my wrist, hit my chest on the bars, then slammed my head into a tree and was knocked out for a bit, all the doctors said "your lucky to be alive, the helmet and chest protector saved your life". i tell that to everyone because simple things can protect you.

red_rider_069
11-28-2007, 07:53 PM
AMEN :cool:

zdowell
11-28-2007, 08:51 PM
I agree with wearing a helmet, but open fields, just doin stand up wheelies I don't think im going to hurt my self to much. But trail riding is a must. GOod luck to anyone not wearing a helmet when they hit a tree.

Backstabber
11-28-2007, 09:32 PM
WOW! I've never seen a bigger group of vaginas in my life! I always wear a helmet when I do ****. I do one lil' wheelie session in a soft grassy area in first gear and I'm ridiculed. Unreal! Here I'm wearing a helmet in this one but OMG! Look! I'm so high up, thats so dangerous! What an idiot I am! Its people like you guys that make life suck!
:devil:

JOEX
11-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Backstabber
WOW! I've never seen a bigger group of vaginas in my life! I always wear a helmet when I do ****. I do one lil' wheelie session in a soft grassy area in first gear and I'm ridiculed. Unreal! Here I'm wearing a helmet in this one but OMG! Look! I'm so high up, thats so dangerous! What an idiot I am! Its people like you guys that make life suck!
:devil:
4. Feel free to attach ATV related pictures to you posts. Pictures of riders without helmets will be deleted - riding without a helmet is very dangerous and is an activity strongly comdemned by ATVriders.

There were several other pics of riders without helmets so you don't get all the credit:o

Backstabber
11-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
"***Hopefully you wont learn to be stupid and ride without a helmet like that nimrod***"

my picture was removed i guess because my friend wasnt wearing a helmet and it might be an influence.

i would never ride my quad without a helmet even if it wasnt nescecary. helmets save lives and i have put that to the test and have seen many around that have died because they hit something without wearing a helmet. I hit a tree, broke my wrist, hit my chest on the bars, then slammed my head into a tree and was knocked out for a bit, all the doctors said "your lucky to be alive, the helmet and chest protector saved your life". i tell that to everyone because simple things can protect you.
LOL! Hey, just because you suck doesn't mean you have to go taking charge at me. I can do what I want because I know how to ride. I know my limits and doing a wheely at a few miles an hour isn't outside my limit even if i am sitting on the gas tank. If you have anymore stories about how much you suck please tell! I'm still laughing from the tree one! LOL:devil:

4. Feel free to attach ATV related pictures to you posts. Pictures of riders without helmets will be deleted - riding without a helmet is very dangerous and is an activity strongly comdemned by ATVriders.

glamiskid395
11-28-2007, 10:31 PM
dude-
you need to stop bein an ***hole and stop makin flame wars here. just cuz you think your the greatest rider in the world doesnt mean you dont have to wear a helmet and show off not wearing one!

11-29-2007, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Backstabber
LOL! Hey, just because you suck doesn't mean you have to go taking charge at me. I can do what I want because I know how to ride. I know my limits and doing a wheely at a few miles an hour isn't outside my limit even if i am sitting on the gas tank. If you have anymore stories about how much you suck please tell! I'm still laughing from the tree one! LOL:devil:

yeah could you please explain how my post was directed at making fun of you? I was just saying why my picture was removed to the moderator that took it off and had my reason why it was most likely taken off. I never said anything mean and how are you saying that I suck at riding? Where I ride there is a whole entire parts graveyard from crashes and a lot of stories to go along with it. Maybe you dont ride trails like I do where I try to haul and maybe you shouldnt say anything about someone else sucking because thats the puniest wheelie I have seen.

red_rider_069
11-29-2007, 03:05 PM
i think its his choice to wear a helmet or not.. i know its dangerous to ride with out a helmet.. but im pretty sure all of us have done it.. so jsut leave him alone lol.. thats his problem not ours.. all you had to say.. you shouldnt r ide w/o a helmet(.):blah:

Backstabber
11-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
this is the guy i was mentioning that i learned to wheelie from. he is amazing at it can ride for miles anyway.

***Hopefully you wont learn to be stupid and ride without a helmet like that nimrod***

Picture removed
Actually you did take a stab at me and thats why i fired back. I simply posted about how I pull wheelies to help this kid out. Instead I get slammed for posting a pic with me not wearing a helmet. A lot worse things could happen fully geared doing freestyle, a first gear wheely without a helmet wont hurt me. Besides, rip on my "puniest" wheelie. I was coming out of it and in case you didn't notice I'm sitting on the gas tank with my legs over the handle bars. Post better(with a helmet). I can ride normal or stand up wheelies 12 o'clock all day. No one needs to tell me i'm being an *******, I know I am. ha. I just wanted to help a kid out, posted a pic and people got retarded on me. Lame.:devil:

Backstabber
11-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by red_rider_069
i think its his choice to wear a helmet or not.. i know its dangerous to ride with out a helmet.. but im pretty sure all of us have done it.. so jsut leave him alone lol.. thats his problem not ours.. all you had to say.. you shouldnt r ide w/o a helmet(.):blah:
Thanks for your response, I agree its my problem. I can never imagine posting about another rider not wearing a helmet though. People can do what they want. It was a simple, short wheelie session. really not dangerous, only a few mph. I've seen people do much worse and I dont sit and judge. Blargh, whatever. I've said too much already. Sorry for being a dick, you guys are entitled to your opinions.:devil:
p.s. I know I'm not the greatest rider, ha.

JOEX
11-29-2007, 08:27 PM
It is your choice to wear a helmet or not but pictures of riders without helmets are not allowed on atvriders.com. End of story.

red_rider_069
11-29-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
It is your choice to wear a helmet or not but pictures of riders without helmets are not allowed on atvriders.com. End of story. sorry didnt know that parts.. but you got to give the guy some slack man he was jsut showing some help.. isn't that what the forums are for? to get info..?

JOEX
11-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by red_rider_069
sorry didnt know that parts.. but you got to give the guy some slack man he was jsut showing some help.. isn't that what the forums are for? to get info..?
Forums can be a great source of info. And members can help each other out as long as it's within the rules of the forum. Give an inch, they take a mile...

red_rider_069
12-01-2007, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Forums can be a great source of info. And members can help each other out as long as it's within the rules of the forum. Give an inch, they take a mile... agreed/\.

Backstabber
12-01-2007, 08:52 AM
Soooo.... About pulling wheelies...:devil:

red_rider_069
12-01-2007, 11:09 PM
i do them all the time but never on the dirt