PDA

View Full Version : Next mod

Billy B4
11-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Hey guys im happy to join the ex crew. I just bought a Honda 400ex w/ a 416 kit, white bros exhaust, dg nerfs, pro taper bars, dg front bumper, K and N air filter, front wheel spacers, air scoops, and razr tires. I do a lot of trail and ice riding along with some mx and jumping in there sometimes. What do you think i need to put money into to improve my ex?

Big - D Racing
11-26-2007, 10:20 PM
suspension, worth every dollar it's like a night and day difference

Billy B4
11-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Im in college and on somewhat of a budget. What would you suggest for quality, good priced brands? Would you go A arms, front suspension, or rear suspension first or does it even pay to extend the A arms?

Big - D Racing
11-26-2007, 11:23 PM
extending the arms and axel makes your quad feel so much more stable. You will be able to take turns a lot faster. In terms of an extended axel for quality and price I would go with a gforce, which sell new for $199 from rockymountainatv.com

A-arms I would probably run houser for a entry level at a good price. New you can get them for $600 and quality is great. Also check out ebay you can get used ones for under $300! Most used arms are just as strong as new. They are all built out of chromoly steel which is super strong. You may need to ckeck the ball bearings but other than that they should be good.

In terms of shocks do the fronts first! The front stock suck and have basically no adjustments! The rear can be adjusted like crazy so it rides pretty nice. In terms of brand and price I would probably go with Elka's recreation series. Again check ebay you may be able to find some good deals on there. the shocks go for new around $500. You want something a lot better step up to the race versions with reseivors and more adjustments to fine tune them. That is what I run.

my88r
11-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Billy B4
Im in college and on somewhat of a budget. What would you suggest for quality, good priced brands? Would you go A arms, front suspension, or rear suspension first or does it even pay to extend the A arms?

go with some works shocks. at least the front for now. if you do a lot of trail riding you wont like extended a arms.

honda8&3
11-27-2007, 04:39 AM
Well if you don't have skid plates get some 450r front shocks. Then get the revalved and resprung by C&DRacing. Great value IMO:)

Billy B4
11-27-2007, 10:07 AM
I was thinking about the G Force axle as i've heard a lot of good things about it and it's a good price. Also, what do you think of the TCS front and rear Shock Re-Valve as it seems to be a good price and includes the oil, seals, labor, and the re-valve using the stock piston? What are your thoughts on extended a arms if i do a lot of trail riding?

dustin_j
11-27-2007, 10:17 AM
I do some trail riding on my 400ex, with +2 arms and it's fine. It only depends how tight your trail is. I can fit in my trails, some spots are tight and technical, but you just have to watch trees more. I'll never go back to standard width.

Billy B4
11-27-2007, 12:49 PM
what is the thought on the TCS front and rear Shock Re-Valve? good?

F-16Guy
11-27-2007, 01:05 PM
If you're on a tight budget, I'd say ditch the spacers and get some decent used +2 arms, steel-braided +2 front brake lines, used 450R shocks, and a G-Force axle. You can probably get all of that for under a grand. I'm running +2 arms with bone stock 450r shocks and it rides great for recreational riding. You can alway get them rebuilt later when funds allow.

mitchamus
11-27-2007, 01:12 PM
TCS rebuilds are great but you can't get the stock front 400ex shocks done. the rear you can. You can pick up used works triple rates fronts on ebay for under 200 bucks. Ditch the front wheel spacers they suck. Depending how tight of woods you ride will depend on how wide you want to make you quad. I run housers +1 and G-force axle and love it but i do not MX alot..

honda8&3
11-27-2007, 01:20 PM
what is the thought on the TCS front and rear Shock Re-Valve? good?

Revalving 400ex shocks won't be worth it. Get some front 450r shocks and get those rebuilt so you can adjust you ride height stiffness etc... You'll be MUCH Happier IMO:)

Billy B4
11-27-2007, 01:34 PM
kay so the plan now is get a set of 450R shocks and have them rebuilt, rebuild the rear shock, G Force axle, and ill find some +2 A arms on ebay.

Hondamaster5505
11-27-2007, 01:38 PM
i think he means TCS front shocks with a revalved/sprung rear shock:rolleyes:

not revalving/respring fronts lol

Billy B4
11-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Look at the site bro.
http://www.tcsracing.com/id30.html

Pipeless416
11-27-2007, 02:28 PM
kay so the plan now is get a set of 450R shocks and have them rebuilt, rebuild the rear shock, G Force axle, and ill find some +2 A arms on ebay.

thats exactly the setup i use minus the revalved rear and the gforce axle will be coming for christmas. i found new burgard +2s and then i picked up some 450r shocks.. huge improvement! i still need to fine tune them more to my liking, because they dont seem to like small bumps very much, but they have a great feel.

Backstabber
11-27-2007, 10:59 PM
Suspension is definitely key. Do yourself a favor though, save your money and buy the right stuff the first time. Dont revalve stock shocks if you want to get really nice shocks eventually. Save and buy the goods the first time. You'll save yourself a lot of money!