PDA

View Full Version : blue smoke and knocking noise

JPC2075
11-26-2007, 07:13 PM
i have blue smoke and knocking noise....what do you guys think....should i just re ring it or do a 440 kit and what else needs to be done if i put the kit in...

JOEX
11-26-2007, 07:59 PM
You'll need to do some better diognostics before determining what needs to be redone. If it's knocking you'll probably need more than a ring job.

JPC2075
11-26-2007, 08:16 PM
should i do a compression test before i pull it apart.

slow96hater
11-26-2007, 08:26 PM
blue smoke, and knocking.... how loud is the knock?

JPC2075
11-26-2007, 08:29 PM
not real loud i ran out of oil last weekend started blowing smoke and stop and found it empty

drew416ex
11-26-2007, 08:37 PM
hmmmmmm. If it started knocking after you ran low on oil you may have a crank bearing problem. I dunno?

slow96hater
11-26-2007, 08:40 PM
well, running it out of oil could do stuff like this to a motor. hahahaha. well, i would just say pull the top apart, more then likely your gonna need a new piston if you ran outta oil. just honeing the cylinder and throwing new rings in, wont do much for your oil consumption problems.
more improtaitnly then your piston woes tho, are, your crankshaft and conecting rod. when you get the top of your motor pulled apart, try twisting your connecting rod, back and fourth on your crank, there should be little to no play when you do this. if there is some play, then try to wiggle the connecting rod up and down while the transmission is in gear, to see if there is slop like that.

most people say if you can even twist the connecting rod back and fourth on the crankshaft, that you need a new one...
when i rebuilt my bike, i had a little twist action even on my bike, but i threw it back together anyways, cause the bike didnt knock, and its been together for about 3 months now, and i like to do alot of hill climbing, and drag raceing, and mines holding up just fine.

the Z Man
11-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Check the timing, what kind of oil you using?