PDA

View Full Version : what do you think about this quad?

ny300exrider
11-26-2007, 12:52 PM
well i decided to keep my drz400 dual sport since i know im going to use it for commuting daily once spring time comes and aggreed to go half in on a quad with my pops so i will have something to ride in the snow this winter and in the pits since the drz isnt great offroad. we are looking to put 1g in each and dont want anything smaller than a 400 so the market isnt too huge. we came across 2 quads yesterday that really caught our eye...first was an 04 400ex.the 400 is all stock, looks clean to me, and says low hours...$2100neg. im sure we could get it for 1800. i've owned 2 400s in the past and have loved them....this is definitly a major option for us.

however we also came across a raptor that caught our eye...doesnt specify the year but looks to be an 01 or 02 as a guess.

there is an extensive mod list and the pictures show that it isnt in MINT condition(what can you expect for 1800) but also not totally trashed either...it is a bit older than the 400 but has a TON more money invested in it(which obviously could mean its been ridden hard, but is also nice since i love mods)i was wondering what you guys think about this rappy.....from the pictures i can tell the front end needs a bit of an adjustment and it could use some cleaning(i've been known to scrub for hours on my toys so it would definitly need to undergo a full cleaning)...do you see any issues with it? anyone know what kind of exhaust that is? aside from some scrubbing and degreasing, all new fluids, and some new tires, does it look like it is in need of anything major? think it would be worth checking it out and taking it for a ride or should we just stick with what we know and go with the 400?

all of my friends now upgraded to 450s...my riding group consists of a ltr,kfx450,450r,bored kx125, and even my 13yr old bro has a modded kfx400....although i've been riding longer than all of these kids, i would definitly need to drop some money into the ex to help me keep up....on the other hand, the raptor is tempting because i would have an already modded ride that would be a sandpit beast but im a bit sketched on it.

according to the craigslist ad the raptor has the following:

-all black fenders
-front and back gytr bumpers and skid plates(looks like a dg v-pro front)
-tag bars with roll design steering stem clamps(bars look a bit uncomfortable to me, and may need some cable extenders?)
-extended rear axel
-extended chrome a-arms in the front(looks like a houser sticker, not sure what they really are though)
-front and back race suspension w. adjustable clickers (axis s/t or l/t?)
-allunimun radiator grill gaurd
-nerf bars
-itp rims and tires in the rear
-gytr clutch kit
-gytr clutch plates
-stage 2 cam
-upgraded ignition
-new starter motor
-full exaust headers and muffler(no idea what kind)
-jet kit
-gytr aluminum shifter and brake lever
-aftermarket aluminum oil box w. dipstick
-moose swing arm bearings
-k&n airfilters and airbox
-handle bar grips
-new front grill

pics: http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=11hkyvri.ir2mscu&Uy=6fxmc4&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

and the extremly long and extensive mod list for the 04 400ex:
-renthal bars
(would need nerfs immediatly followed by skids,bumper,and full pipe)

pics:http://longisland.craigslist.org/mcy/489516540.html

11-26-2007, 01:06 PM
i would go with the 400ex

ny300exrider
11-26-2007, 01:13 PM
im thinking the same...throw some propegs, some skids and a bumper, and a good full exhaust/filter/jet kit....getting beat by my 13yr old brother is going to be rough lol

still open to insight though

dirtbike&quad
11-26-2007, 01:30 PM
def. the raptor. look how much work is done to it, how many countless hours, money, etc into it. any older quad is going to be that dirty...the 400 is new but by the time u get nerfs tires pipe and whatever else you want, its gonna be like $500+ man...trust me

11-26-2007, 01:34 PM
watch out for those 2001 raptors i dont wanna start that argument again but they got some recalls on the older raptors

416exfreak
11-26-2007, 02:45 PM
lol...

Go look at the raptor. Ride it around, shift through the gears. If it runs smooth and shifts good, get it.

youll be tired of the 400 very quickly. Trust me...I have one...and its getting very slow to me.:ermm:

trx400EXtreme
11-26-2007, 02:48 PM
i can say from experience that (IMO) the 400ex feels way more comfortable the the rappy.... and is way more RELIABLE. but on the other hand, the rappy already has suspension. but still go with the 400. save up for suspension first, then protection(nerfs, skids, bumper), then go from there.

exrider12
11-26-2007, 03:00 PM
this is just a guess but i think the exhaust is a gytr.

Flyin-Low
11-26-2007, 03:15 PM
That Raptor already has everything you'll want on it. And if you're worried about speed that quad will blow the 400ex out of the water.

Take the Rappy out for a test drive and like said above.. make you you run it through ALL of the gears (incld. reverse), and right from closed to wide open throttle. If nothing strikes you as strange during that, I'd take it hands down.

-Martin

416exfreak
11-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low
That Raptor already has everything you'll on it. And if you're worried about speed that quad will blow the 400ex out of the water.

Take the Rappy out for a test drive and like said above.. make you you run it through ALL of the gears (incld. reverse), and right from closed to wide open throttle. If nothing strikes you as strange during that, I'd take it hands down.

-Martin

That summed it up.

PS. martin could you send me a good picture for a desktop background of your 450..its a sick quad, and I like it alot.

yellow400ex05
11-26-2007, 03:48 PM
That Raptor already has everything you'll on it. And if you're worried about speed that quad will blow the 400ex out of the water.

-Martin

Well I have to disagree with you to some extent, the Raptor in question is better than the 400ex, but with a little cash and a front end and extended axle on the 400 it will absolutely outdo the Raptor in the handling department And a 400 is trusty and reliable quad and looks mint with low hours and plus its newer.

Also that Raptor doesn't look too good IMO, looks nice in a sort of way with the nice shocks a arms and black plastics but then again it looks a little rough around the edges like it was ridden hard, and neglected and probably has a ton of hours on it. It also looks to me like the camber is way off on it and he doesn't keep up with tire pressure too well the left front tire looks a little low which could be a sign of a lack of maintenance.

Oh and the guy with the Raptor didn't bother taking the left heel guard bracket off.

IMO get the 400ex cheap to modify lower hours, slightly higher resale value and a lot of potential, and a good reputation for being bulletproof.

honda8&3
11-26-2007, 03:51 PM
See I'm not a huge fan of Raptors but it is pretty nice. The 01's are a little iffy IMO, because Yamaha had a lot of problems with them at first (transmission etc...), but the have a ton of potential. I'd test ride it first and look everything over b4 buying it. The 400ex looks nice. Not much done to it, but for 2000 it looks very clean and well taken care of. Test ride and see how it looks and feels. IMO go with the 400ex out of the box, but that's JMO. Test ride them both then debate which one you like better. They're both pretty nice though IMO.:)

honda8&3
11-26-2007, 03:56 PM

-Martin

I'm pretty sure there is no reverse gear LOL.:p

Robin Hood
11-26-2007, 03:56 PM
If the raptor is not an 01, then go for it. If it is, stay awayyyyyyyy!

I've got an 01 and I could write a list of parts that have broken on this stupid machine!

I do although run the same CT exhaust as him, and it gives a TON of power and has a great tone to it.

Flyin-Low
11-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by honda8&3
I'm pretty sure there is no reverse gear LOL.:p

I'm positive all year Raptors have reverse.. I could be wrong though, there's a first time for everything! :devil:

-Martin

416exfreak
11-26-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm positive all year Raptors have reverse.. I could be wrong though, there's a first time for everything! :devil:

-Martin

Every 660 raptor has reverse, even the 01's.

honda8&3
11-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Ok sorry thought the rappys didn't have that. Like I said check them both out ride them and go through the gears check the oil etc... Then go from there LOL.:D

BlaineKaiser450
11-26-2007, 06:13 PM
id ride them both and see which one you like, then buy that 1