PDA

View Full Version : 6 inch suspension

450rboy
11-25-2007, 08:47 PM
ok i am looking for a 6 inch suspension lift for my toyota pickup truck. its a extended cab 4 cyclinder and automatic. and i need help finding a 6 inch suspension lift for my truck and its a 1991.

HondaEXrider22
11-25-2007, 08:55 PM
www.google.com

450rboy
11-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by HondaEXrider22
www.google.com

yea well why don't you help instead of tell me something i already tried.

i need help and i want this lift to be all suspension not suspension and body

mineralgrey01gt
11-25-2007, 09:13 PM
hey man, my brother has a lift that was never installed on his 84 toyota, if it will fit, it may be the size you are looking for. He paid $1200 for it

ShiftFMX
11-25-2007, 09:36 PM
www.4wheelparts.com
www.4wheelonline.com
www.summitracing.com

Pro-Comp Makes a 4"

Fabtech makes a 3.5"

SkyJacker - 4"

Superlift - 4-5"

If I were you, I would Go with the Fabtech (IMO its the better of the brands) and it's the Cheaper one, and get a Performance Accessories (PA) 3" Body Lift and Throw some 35's on that thing...but its still a toyotaaa *Shivers*

Click on the Link in my Sig to se my truck, Im runnin the a 6" Fabtech

450rboy
11-25-2007, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
hey man, my brother has a lift that was never installed on his 84 toyota, if it will fit, it may be the size you are looking for. He paid $1200 for it

well that would be pretty nice but i think it won't fit cause the lifts for my trucks only work on 89 through 95 trucks.

ShiftFMX
11-25-2007, 09:42 PM
and NO, there is NOTHING wrong or "unsafe" about a body lift, I have been around lifted trucks for MANY years and have talk to more people about lifts than I care to, and everyone that actually KNOWS SOMETHING about lifting trucks, will say the same thing. The only people that have told me that body lifts are junk, are those who know almost nothing about this stuff.

450rboy
11-25-2007, 09:49 PM
well if i don't find a 6 inch suspension for my truck i will be going with a 5 inch suspension and 2 body. then i will be putting the 35s on. but i know actually 5 inchs of suspension would work with 35s.

Originally posted by ShiftFMX
www.4wheelparts.com
www.4wheelonline.com
www.summitracing.com

Pro-Comp Makes a 4"

Fabtech makes a 3.5"

SkyJacker - 4"

Superlift - 4-5"

If I were you, I would Go with the Fabtech (IMO its the better of the brands) and it's the Cheaper one, and get a Performance Accessories (PA) 3" Body Lift and Throw some 35's on that thing...but its still a toyotaaa *Shivers*

Click on the Link in my Sig to se my truck, Im runnin the a 6" Fabtech

tp300ex
11-25-2007, 09:55 PM
from my understanding a lift is nuthing but trouble or atleast thats wat the man at the body shop told me correct me if im wrong (PLEASE SO I CAN TALK MY DAD INTO LETTING ME GET ONE) lol but ugh im pret

ShiftFMX
11-25-2007, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by tp300ex
from my understanding a lift is nuthing but trouble or atleast thats wat the man at the body shop told me correct me if im wrong (PLEASE SO I CAN TALK MY DAD INTO LETTING ME GET ONE) lol but ugh im pret

What Kind of truck to you have?

450rboy
11-25-2007, 10:05 PM
This is what a truck looks like with a 3 inch body lift on it.
hey i just gonna show you my brothers truck to you. it has 33 inch tracx super swampers on it now though. those one 31s in the pic on it.

tp300ex
11-25-2007, 10:07 PM
chevy z71 crew cab

pro-rider46
11-25-2007, 10:21 PM
i think iv seen that truck before

ShiftFMX
11-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by tp300ex
chevy z71 crew cab

The only bad effects a lift kit has is, it increases the time that your front end components wear out IE...Ball Joints and Bearings

tp300ex
11-25-2007, 11:00 PM
yea well i was only going with a 3 or 4 inch lift

chris46250r
11-26-2007, 05:36 AM
and NO, there is NOTHING wrong or "unsafe" about a body lift, I have been around lifted trucks for MANY years and have talk to more people about lifts than I care to, and everyone that actually KNOWS SOMETHING about lifting trucks, will say the same thing. The only people that have told me that body lifts are junk, are those who know almost nothing about this stuff.

One thing that is wrong with them is they are ugly as crap. They are a poor mans lift kit. Do it right or dont do it. If you think they are so safe then go flip a truck with a body lift and see what happens. I'm no expert but the 78 Chev, 80 Chev, 2 87 Chev's, 87 1 ton Chev, 90 fullsize Jimmy, 96 Chev, 85 CJ 7, 86 CJ 7, 87 Toy, and 93 Toy all turned out just fine.

ShiftFMX
11-26-2007, 06:03 AM
Well, Say What you will, My F150 will be seeing a 3" Body Lift AND a 3" AAL AND My torsion Bars CRANKED in addition to My 6" Fabtech, So I can run 38's

My Ride Height Goal:

http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Gotta91LX/734254.jpg

trick450r
11-26-2007, 01:17 PM
www.downeyoff-road.com

for all your toyota truck needs..

i've had myself a toyota landcruiser or truck constantly since i was 12 ha....

TCracin440ex
11-26-2007, 01:34 PM
i got 9 inches of lift rolling 35s on a chevy z71 5.3 ltr

6 inch bds suspension, 3 inch body lift

shift if ur goin to a set of 38s u better get gears...i just put 4.56 in my chevy with a detroit tru trac and man i love it...my truck never sees off road but i love the gear set up....

i plan on goin to a set of 37x13.50x18 mt baja atz radial, on a set of diamo 18x10 wheels....gonna look sharp...and imma keep my bfg a/t and 16x10s for winter time

i could get a 38 under my truck if i cranked the tbars but i choose to have my ride quality...

http://a682.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/75/l_edc29e0567b9912b56212187470abea9.jpg

http://a118.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/110/l_2679aaf06deca7a62b3fcd11af97fdad.jpg

TCracin440ex
11-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by 450rboy
ok i am looking for a 6 inch suspension lift for my toyota pickup truck. its a extended cab 4 cyclinder and automatic. and i need help finding a 6 inch suspension lift for my truck and its a 1991.

pro comp is also a good lift it was suggested...nobody makes a 6 inch suspension for a 91 toyota pickup...not to my knowledge anyways....u will have to do a combination of suspension and body

ShiftFMX
11-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
i got 9 inches of lift rolling 35s on a chevy z71 5.3 ltr

6 inch bds suspension, 3 inch body lift

shift if ur goin to a set of 38s u better get gears...i just put 4.56 in my chevy with a detroit tru trac and man i love it...my truck never sees off road but i love the gear set up....

i plan on goin to a set of 37x13.50x18 mt baja atz radial, on a set of diamo 18x10 wheels....gonna look sharp...and imma keep my bfg a/t and 16x10s for winter time

i could get a 38 under my truck if i cranked the tbars but i choose to have my ride quality...

http://a682.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/75/l_edc29e0567b9912b56212187470abea9.jpg

http://a118.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/110/l_2679aaf06deca7a62b3fcd11af97fdad.jpg

Oh Believe Me, Gears are actually Priority Before the Lift! And Before you get the ATZ's, check out the Pro-comp Xtreme Terrain AT's, They are getting awesome reviews and The look damn Sweet!!

Heres a Pic of the Pro-Comps, I think this is what I'm going to go with...and they have a 40,000 mile warranty!!

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/9295-13424-189789.jpg

TCracin440ex
11-26-2007, 06:53 PM
http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/images.ashx?i=DI16K_c.jpg&partNo=DI&w=200&h=200

these are the wheels i plan on getting, im gonna also take the brake calipers off sand them down and paint them bright red to give it more of a expensive sports car look

i put the 4.56 gears in the rear of my truck and i can bake 35s from a dead stop....it actually has caused my axle to wrap so bad it has cracked my axle tube....ive got to get a set of trac bars to keep my axle from wrapping up so bad...ive gotta get the tube welded back too....ive yet to do the frontend gear swap...im trying to rack up some loot first...i just cant put it in 4wd till i get the swap done which is fine with me cuz i dont 4wheel anyways

ShiftFMX
11-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Did you Make the Traction Bars, Or buy them??

dpizz450
11-26-2007, 10:14 PM
idk if fabtech makes one for your truck but i had a fabtech 6" susp lift with 2" body life and 35" tires on a 02 z71 ext cab. i just sold it. but for the two years i drove it i drove the hell outta that thing including some rough muddin and i never had any problems what so ever with the lift.

KXRida
11-27-2007, 03:17 PM
The only bad effects a lift kit has is, it increases the time that your front end components wear out IE...Ball Joints and Bearings

yes sir it does. Does that to most of the lifted trucks.

FYI when you do lift your truck and if you are going to run offset rims, check your wheel bearings often. Then tend to get eaten up even faster. Also if you do plan to use your truck at all (IE, loading up quads, towing, etc) keep the lift reasonable. Take it from a guy that has a 3'' body, 6'' suspension, and 35's on a ranger. It just flat out sucks to use for anything practical.

as for gears, Run ATLEAST 4.56's. A 4.86 ratio would put you back to about stock feeling with 35's. I have 4.10's now and they aren't enough, but I can't complain, I got them for free and they're better than my 3.73's. I would get deeper gears for them, but a SAS is in the future, so I'd rather buy a set of 5.13's for my D44 and sterling 10.50.

Yah with my ugly frame flex and all. Damn rangers haha

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/102607_10273.jpg

After some wheeling
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/112607_11121.jpg

My brother's ranger way back when with the 33's

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/417000-417999/417767_87_full.jpg

with the procomps

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/417000-417999/417767_107_full.jpg

KXRida
11-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by chris46250r
One thing that is wrong with them is they are ugly as crap. They are a poor mans lift kit. Do it right or dont do it. If you think they are so safe then go flip a truck with a body lift and see what happens. I'm no expert but the 78 Chev, 80 Chev, 2 87 Chev's, 87 1 ton Chev, 90 fullsize Jimmy, 96 Chev, 85 CJ 7, 86 CJ 7, 87 Toy, and 93 Toy all turned out just fine.

how do you figure? They are a practical way to clear bigger tires. Not only that, but they come in handy when doing engine swaps and need more clearence in the tranny tunnel.

honda8&3
11-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Alright I hope you guys are actually going to do some serious offroading with these trucks and not just wash and wax them LOL:p If not then they really aren't a practical everyday driver LOL:D

TCracin440ex
11-27-2007, 07:48 PM
Did you Make the Traction Bars, Or buy them??

i aint got any traction bars yet im going to buy them from 4wp

chris46250r
11-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by KXRida
how do you figure? They are a practical way to clear bigger tires. Not only that, but they come in handy when doing engine swaps and need more clearence in the tranny tunnel.

Here goes then. As I already said before they are ugly as chit. There is nothing practical about taking the cheap way out. You gain zero in suspension movement. They are dangerous also, you are separating the body from the frame. Thats part of the reason you got so much flex with that ranger. You ever heard that a long bolt bends easier than a short one, thats what you got with a body lift, a longer bolt holding the body, which is where you are sitting, to the frame. Wreck it or flip it and the body tries and sometimes succeeds in leaving the frame. You have weak bumper brackets. The shifters are all screwed up. The radiator comes up with the body but the fan stays down with the motor. The steering column is at a different angle with the steering box plus you have pulled it out longer, making it weaker. The brake lines that are coiled up coming out of the master cylinder get stretched out. The filler neck hoses dont line up right and you have to take twice as long getting gas cause you cant hold the pump wide open. And that sexy gap you can see through the rear fender wells is just priceless which also means you have issues with a gooseneck ball or a fifthwheel hitch. So yes you might come out cheaper with a body lift but the price you have to pay for the hassle just aint worth it.

KXRida
11-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by chris46250r
Here goes then. As I already said before they are ugly as chit. There is nothing practical about taking the cheap way out. You gain zero in suspension movement. They are dangerous also, you are separating the body from the frame. Thats part of the reason you got so much flex with that ranger. You ever heard that a long bolt bends easier than a short one, thats what you got with a body lift, a longer bolt holding the body, which is where you are sitting, to the frame. Wreck it or flip it and the body tries and sometimes succeeds in leaving the frame. You have weak bumper brackets. The shifters are all screwed up. The radiator comes up with the body but the fan stays down with the motor. The steering column is at a different angle with the steering box plus you have pulled it out longer, making it weaker. The brake lines that are coiled up coming out of the master cylinder get stretched out. The filler neck hoses dont line up right and you have to take twice as long getting gas cause you cant hold the pump wide open. And that sexy gap you can see through the rear fender wells is just priceless which also means you have issues with a gooseneck ball or a fifthwheel hitch. So yes you might come out cheaper with a body lift but the price you have to pay for the hassle just aint worth it.

As for bumper brackets on mine and my brother's ranger, I think 1/4 is suffice, I've never had a problem with any of my shift linkages, only problem I had was break lines with my lift, but that was expected, filler neck was expected as well. Most of this is expected. Think about it, if you are moving something, it is common sense that a stock length hose will not be suffice. I don't really plan on towing anything with my 2.9 lifted ranger with 35's. I don't think I could with the mighty hp that thing crancks out.

Yea but you have to think about a suspension lift. There are some down falls to those as well. Harder on wheel bearings, ball joints, etc. Also for some lifts you actually need to purchase a new steering shaft assembly if you are high enough up, or you can frankenstein one together out of some ford parts if you know what to look for. (ford aerostar) Also, with any lift you increase the chance of rolling. Once again just common sense. I could see a body being practical. Why run stock tires when you could fit bigger ones with a body lift and gain some clearence?

as for body flex for the ranger? Ever look at a ranger frame? Probably not, almost no cross bracing support between frame rails. Hate to break it too ya, but open C frames will twist.

chris46250r
11-28-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm not gonna get in a pissing match over this with you. But let me reply to a few things you said. The bumper bracket thickness is not what I'm talking about. It's the fact of how it's made, out of the frame then up then to the bumper, longer and weaker. I wasn't worried about rolling one because of the lift, I was just saying with a body lift the cab may part ways with the frame if you do wreck or roll it. Yes I have seen the frame of a ranger and wasn't impressed at all. But it will flex less if the body is firmly mounted to the frame than it will with a body lift. Now that is common sense. I've never seen a lift where the steering shaft needed to be replaced. The steering arm or the pitman arm yes but not the column. I've just always felt that the truck I was lifting was worth the price of a real suspension lift kit, but on the other hand, I've never had a Ford Ranger either.

KXRida
11-28-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm still slightly confused on what you're saying about the bumper though. I understand what you're saying, but I doubt half of the guys with lifted trucks off road them enough to roll them. Once I get some beefier axles under it, it'll have a cage just for that reason.

ShiftFMX
11-28-2007, 02:22 PM
To each their own I suppose.

chris46250r
11-28-2007, 02:48 PM

Yep.

KXRida
11-28-2007, 04:50 PM

word

450Rchaser
11-28-2007, 07:05 PM
So whats your purpose for the truck? Are you gonna offroad it or a daily driver.

My 88 Runner has 4" Trailmaster lift w/ 33" Swampers. I got a straight axle for the front and Im gonna go w/ marlin crawler 5" SAS kit for the front and ther 6" for the back.

If your truck already has a straight axle under the front you should check out there website marlincrawler.com

KXRida
11-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by 450Rchaser
So whats your purpose for the truck? Are you gonna offroad it or a daily driver.

My 88 Runner has 4" Trailmaster lift w/ 33" Swampers. I got a straight axle for the front and Im gonna go w/ marlin crawler 5" SAS kit for the front and ther 6" for the back.

If your truck already has a straight axle under the front you should check out there website marlincrawler.com

I'm not real familiar with yota's, but how involved is a SAS for you guys? I figure I'm not too far off with a ranger. With a ranger though, it's really not too bad. I'm probably gonna run a HD 44 with 50 knuckles, chromoly shafts (I can't recall which brand off hand, but they offer a lifetime warranty against breaking, if they do, you send them back), and CTM U-joints. I know that the CTM's carry a lifetime warranty against breaking aswell.

Alloy USA carries a 10 year warranty, but I just can't remember who carries the lifetime. haha Hell I'll spend the extra money on a lifetime warranty and carry the stocks for spares on the trail. Can't beat throwing a stock one in to get you home, then shipping your broken shaft out and getting a new one.

Any ideas for axles so far? My brother just picked up 2 1/2 ton rockwells for his ranger, so that will be interesting. His swap won't be done for a while (has a family now) but that is a rather extensive procedure. He was thinking about buying another front rockwell and converting to 4 wheel steer, but with the rockrams being one of the most expesive parts of the swap, I don't think he will. Wheels and tires are outrageous as well. Well surprisingly a 52'' michelin was only $152, but he's looking to run around a 47. Anything bigger than that, then you have successfully built a 1970's monster truck that instead of upgrading for offroad, you pretty much down graded.

gojk
11-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by 450rboy

I have a 90 Yota and AFAIK you can't go over 3.5"(some list them as 4", but they are just rounding up) without driveshaft modifications. Basically anything over 3.5" gets really expensive. I would do 3.5" suspension and if the 35s don't fit, go with the 2" body. I don't think there is anything wrong with a body lift other than looks, I hate seeing that gap under the bed of trucks.

450Rchaser
11-29-2007, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by KXRida
I'm not real familiar with yota's, but how involved is a SAS for you guys? .

Well if you do it RIGHT the kit marlincrawler sells has about 110 pieces. They are a big rock crawling website. I would only recommend them for an offroad suspension. Me and a buddy of mine both have Yota's. We r building rock crawlers out of.