PDA

View Full Version : Sand Tire Question

525 Outlaw Dude
11-25-2007, 06:32 PM
I have a friend that is whiling to sell me his rear Sand Stars for $50.00 and have only been used 3-4 times. I was wondering what you guess think is a better tire "SAND STARS or EXTREME HAULERS", or if you guess have a different brand or style list.
(I will be doing everything from Drag racing/ Hill Climb/ and just over all riding, it will be my first time at the dunes too.)

eerhard09
11-25-2007, 06:56 PM
They are both great tires and both will work for the type of riding you say you are doing. For $50, the sand stars are GREAT! Get the Sand Stars from your buddy and take the money you save and get the Sand Star fronts as well!

smokinwrench
11-25-2007, 07:39 PM
I run sand stars on my 525, I am 100% happy with them. I had always ran haulers in various sizes and paddles. I decided to switch since I had to buy new paddles for the 525, I don't think I will ever go back to straight paddles again.

Evasiveone
11-26-2007, 09:27 AM
For overall dune riding I also prefer the V-paddles. For the price you listed the Sand Stars are a great buy. I have the Sand Stars on my '07 Predator 500, but the Skat Trak Edge V-paddles I have on my 525 are a much better tire. They hook up so much better than my Sand Stars do.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/Evasive1/Familyofquads043.jpg

The sand stars are supposed to be a 11" tire but the Edge at 10" wide are actually wider.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/Evasive1/topviewtires.jpg

cataway
12-02-2007, 02:28 AM
my honest opinion is that both of those tires have to much paddle for that quad '' if '' drag racing is your goal. i suspect that wheelies are rather easy from a dead start ,is that right? can it be run from a 2nd gear start?

smokinwrench
12-02-2007, 11:28 AM
No second gear starts here, I'm running a 15 tooth front sprocket.

cataway
12-02-2007, 09:15 PM
yeah .... i definitely think i would be dropping that a tooth or two.
i have only raced one 525 and he had sand stars, i think maybe if he had my tire the race would of been much closer ,as it was i wasted him . he said wait till next year,i'm thinking hes upping the power hard to say if hes changing to a better tire.
some guys think power is the answer ,more than likely he'll just get bigger wheelies

smokinwrench
12-03-2007, 08:45 PM
I was a Little Sahara last weekend and was one of the fastest quads on the drag strip all weekend long.

I say if your Z400 wasted a 525 outlaw, the guy on the outlaw wieghed 500 lbs and didn't know how to shift gears.

cataway
12-04-2007, 03:33 AM
huh, so how does it feal to have LS all to ones self ?

eerhard09
12-04-2007, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by smokinwrench

I say if your Z400 wasted a 525 outlaw, the guy on the outlaw wieghed 500 lbs and didn't know how to shift gears.

That is what I think as well.... Have many friends with Z400's (and I came from one) with lots of motor mods, more so than just a higher comp stock size piston, P&P and stage 2 cams.... Not saying you didn't but the Z should still not be close to a 525 unless there is a huge weight difference. If you did, good for you, you are the much better rider with much better skills! That or you have a freak Z400 that runs incredibly well and above what it should (which I have seen).

Not bashing, just surprised!

cataway
12-04-2007, 04:10 PM
i guess ya all didn't catch what i was saying , i was pointing out that sand stars are not he right tire for drag racing ,and not that i am so incredibly fast. he had the wrong tire, he had to start in first gear i start in second. if he had the same tire as i have he may as well of been able to start from second gear , its an incredible advantage (and the fact that i have 40hp) , even so i have run against a Z434 ,i know that he has more hp than i do but he as well has the wrong tire ,give him enough room to run say 700' or more he catches up

smokinwrench
12-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by cataway
(and the fact that i have 40hp)

I'm guessing that is a bad thing since my slightly modded 400ex had 37 hp.

cataway
12-06-2007, 03:56 AM
37hp? yep your a day late a dollar short and the wrong tire .
BTW check your rear sprocket, it wants to fall off.

somewon
03-03-2008, 09:35 PM
not to hijack this thread, but i have a situation along the same lines.

I sold my sand stars and rims I had been using because they were getting a little worn and the wide offset made it hell to turn. I play everywhere in the sand, but if I had to choose where I wanted to be fast at it would be in the trails (little sahara).

What I'm looking at is either the Skat-trak edge or the AMS sidewinder. I liked the look of the AMS aerospeed until I read the reviews on rocky mountain.

Any comments would be appreciated and if i'm looking at the wrong tires let me know.

thanks,

Adam

somewon
03-03-2008, 09:42 PM
by the way, I normally shop at rockymountainatv but if any of you have other suggestions on where to get a good price on a tire/wheel package I'm all ears.