Hey, I own a 07ER.

My setup is :

stock needle
stock pilot jet
165 main jet
55 leak jet
no lid
hmf slip on

A couple things. My quad is popping on decel, and still has the big initial bog when I stab it. Also, it seems to stall alot if you dont have the throttle opened up. The starting leaves alot to be desired too.

Im thinking its too rich, but many people seem to be content with the same setup. I think I need a HRC needle and to drop the position down a clip. Any othe suggestions? Maybe a smaller leak and main jet or larger pilot?

My next qeustion is, can I buy the HRC needle ONLY, or a different needle? Ive heard CRF needles are an improvement...

Also, Ive decided on a 03 CRF cam. Where can I buy one without bending over and grabbing my ankles?

THANKS!!

Purcell450r
11-26-2007, 05:24 AM
I tried to just buy the needle from my local shop and no dice. They couldn't order one. If you have the money get the whole HRC kit. It's the best purchase, besides my R, i've made in awhile.

secondrate
11-27-2007, 08:51 PM
i just bought the hrc jet kit today. consisted of 162 main, hrc needle, and 55 leak. i bought a few other single jets too 45 and 48 pilot and some bigger mains. ill be putting on my hmf slip on on tommorow and will see what happens. im so confused by what i've been reading. i'm just gonna put in what i think i need and see what happens. ill let you know

bloodmoney23
11-27-2007, 09:29 PM
popping on decel......up the main jet one size, go to the next size slow jet and fuel screw 2.5 turns...should get ya pretty close. but they have a point...just buy the HRC kit.....your better off.

TRX450RACER174
11-27-2007, 09:47 PM
My guess is you are high on the main, I'm running a 165 with the HRC kit, K&N filter and BIG GUN exhaust, you should either get a HRC kit or check with Colby for the needle and cam, also an adjustable air screw is a must.

bloodmoney23
11-28-2007, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by TRX450RACER174
My guess is you are high on the main, I'm running a 165 with the HRC kit, K&N filter and BIG GUN exhaust, you should either get a HRC kit or check with Colby for the needle and cam, also an adjustable air screw is a must.

I dont know about yours but my HRC kit came standard with a 185 main and I still needed to go bigger on the main cause of my pipe and air filter.

d3ktrix
11-28-2007, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
I dont know about yours but my HRC kit came standard with a 185 main and I still needed to go bigger on the main cause of my pipe and air filter.

He has an 06 and you have an 05.

The 06 HRC kit comes with a 165MJ
THe 05 HRC kit comes with a 185MJ

And if u already have HRC jetting, you shouldn't have to go any bigger on the MJ when you put a pipe/filter on.

d3ktrix
11-28-2007, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
A couple things. My quad is popping on decel, and still has the big initial bog when I stab it. Also, it seems to stall alot if you dont have the throttle opened up. The starting leaves alot to be desired too.

How many turns out is ur A/F screw?
If putting it at 2.5 turns out doesn't cure the popping on decel, then get a 45pilot and leave the A/F screw at 2.5 turns.

Also an HRC needle on the middle clip will help your mid range, with the stock needle and your mods your mid throttle range will be a little lean.
Plus this will help throttle response.

My next qeustion is, can I buy the HRC needle ONLY, or a different needle? Ive heard CRF needles are an improvement...

Yes you can buy just the HRC needle, its a honda part, any dealer can order it.
Also try motosports.com OEM parts section.

Also, Ive decided on a 03 CRF cam. Where can I buy one without bending over and grabbing my ankles?

Your best bet is to find one used.
New directly from honda they are super exspensive.
I found my 02 CRF cam used in perfect condition for like $100.

woodrow7777
11-28-2007, 11:10 AM
here are my jetting specs stock with no air box esr/k&n intake setup and an nmotin pipe

the 52 pilot corrected the start bog and the ER really needs to be up high on idle to get it to start easily!

this is from nmotions recommendations

70-90 degrees outside temp

50-52 pilot jet

fuel screw
1 3/4 turns out

main jet
160-170

Jake250ex
11-28-2007, 05:47 PM
ahh the fuel screw thats what im missing.

Im emberassed to say I dont know where it is or what it looks like. Can anyone help me out there? 2.5 turns out from where it is stock you say?

a 52 pilot is huge!! I switched from the 42 to HMF 48, and it made it bog much more. However it didnt pop on decel with the 48.

And my idle is another situation. When I turn it up, it starts missing and wont take throttle at all, it just dies. WTF is up with that?

DB 450R
11-28-2007, 06:11 PM
You are way rich, you need a full system exhaust to run close to Honda Race kit which is 162 main...get yourself some jets and go down a step at a time, you will notice great improvements in the way it runs allso the power....I may have a CRF cam for ya but I have to install the stage 3 first and see if I like it better.:) Poping can be caused by leakage in the exhaust system allso...the fuel screw takes a special tool because the screw head is d shaped and is located on the carb bottom front very hard to get at.

Dave400ex
11-28-2007, 06:27 PM
I would stay stock or 45 pilot. Order the 07 HRC needle from your Honda dealer. It makes a big difference. 55 leak jet is good. I would also get a White Brothers or w/e brand of adjustable fuel screw.

bloodmoney23
11-28-2007, 06:45 PM
the screw is on the bottom of carb on outside. seat the screw all the way back down then turn it back out 2.5 turns. 2 full turns 1 half turn. (2 x 360º turns and 1 x 180º turns)

Jake250ex
11-28-2007, 06:58 PM
id love to buy the cam off ya.

im gonna go to a 160 main and what tool do i need to do the fuel screw?

d3ktrix
11-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by DB 450R
You are way rich, you need a full system exhaust to run close to Honda Race kit which is 162 main...get yourself some jets and go down a step at a time, you will notice great improvements in the way it runs allso the power....I may have a CRF cam for ya but I have to install the stage 3 first and see if I like it better.:) Poping can be caused by leakage in the exhaust system allso...the fuel screw takes a special tool because the screw head is d shaped and is located on the carb bottom front very hard to get at.

He has an HMF slip on, that will require almost the exact same jetting as as a full system. The only difference between a full system and a slip on is the header is slightly bigger and of course different bends.
My friend has an 07 with an HMF slip on and he uses 165MJ/55LJ/45P/HRC needle and it runs perfect.
And almost everyone on here with an 06+ bike runs around this jetting.

His bogging problem is most likely not caused by the main jet at all.
The main jet mostly controls 3/4 to Full throttle, has a slight affect on the rest of the circuits but not enough to notice any difference by changing the main a few sizes.
When you brap the gas real quick its mostly the pilot and leak jet that make the affects.

Bogging is almost always fault of the leak jet and the pilot jet.
Stock pilot or 45 @ 2.5 turns out should do you perfect.

And I dont recommend on of the "finger adjustable" A/F screws. Most people that get them have them fall out.
Another 1 of my friends put one in a few weeks ago and if felt out during his race last week and he wasn't able to ride.

d3ktrix
11-28-2007, 08:19 PM
id love to buy the cam off ya.

im gonna go to a 160 main and what tool do i need to do the fuel screw?

If you have the float bowel off you can adjust the stock A/F screw with your hand as it sticks right out about a 1/4" with the bowel off.

If not you'll need a tool, never used one tho so can't help ya there :P

DB 450R
11-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Motion pro makes one I believe...I used a dremel and cutoff wheel to cut a slot in it so a screwdriver fit just to remove stock one and replace it with a zip ty racing finger adjustable. I allso think the 160 may be a little rich but is a lot closer than the 165
The CRF cam with the full system pipe and proper jetting is a night to day differance.++

DB 450R
11-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
He has an HMF slip on, that will require almost the exact same jetting as as a full system. The only difference between a full system and a slip on is the header is slightly bigger and of course different bends.
My friend has an 07 with an HMF slip on and he uses 165MJ/55LJ/45P/HRC needle and it runs perfect.
And almost everyone on here with an 06+ bike runs around this jetting.

His bogging problem is most likely not caused by the main jet at all.
The main jet mostly controls 3/4 to Full throttle, has a slight affect on the rest of the circuits but not enough to notice any difference by changing the main a few sizes.
When you brap the gas real quick its mostly the pilot and leak jet that make the affects.

Bogging is almost always fault of the leak jet and the pilot jet.
Stock pilot or 45 @ 2.5 turns out should do you perfect.

And I dont recommend on of the "finger adjustable" A/F screws. Most people that get them have them fall out.
Another 1 of my friends put one in a few weeks ago and if felt out during his race last week and he wasn't able to ride.
1.Slip ons do not require the same jetting as full systems They require way less.
2. If you jet the main way rich I guarentee you will get a bog, I been there.
3.Not allmost everyone who has a 06 runs a 165 mj as mine will fall on its face with that kind of jet, but will run good, just cause a bike runs good doesnt mean its the proper jet, they will run good super rich, but it wont be at its best... my 06 has a 160 mj with crf cam and a Rossier full pipe and no box lid.
4. I have had my finger adjustable fuel screw in for 2 yrs with no problems yet, but had the stocker vibrate out within the first hour of ridding when it was new.
My advise is real world problem solving with my 06 which had the same problems... bog, not my friends bike or everyone elses.

d3ktrix
11-28-2007, 09:36 PM
1.Slip ons do not require the same jetting as full systems They require way less.

Then how come the 05 HRC kit comes with a 185MJ and all you do to the exhaust is remove the baffle and change the end cap. And yet when you switch to a full system changing both the header and silencer a 185 is still perfect.
Thats even less of a flow change then an open core HMF slip on.

And I just don't pop 1 jet in the bikes I've tuned and if it runs good I leave it. I've had every jet in my 05 from 170 to 190 doing different tests for different temperatures and seasons. I change my tuning so much for weather to make it perfect I drive my friends crazy :P

3.Not allmost everyone who has a 06 runs a 165 mj as mine will fall on its face with that kind of jet, but will run good, just cause a bike runs good doesnt mean its the proper jet, they will run good super rich, but it wont be at its best... my 06 has a 160 mj with crf cam and a Rossier full pipe and no box lid.

Your bike falls flat on its face with a 165 but runs perfect with a 160? How is that a major change?
I agree that an 06 should run fine on 160-170MJ's, but when you tell him he needs to be "way leaner", I wouldn't consider 1 jet size down way leaner.

My advise is real world problem solving with my 06 which had the same problems... bog, not my friends bike or everyone elses.

The friends bikes that I referred to, I jetted them all my self, and tested them. So it was also my personal experience.

And I don't mean to sound harsh or anything, just trying to add my experience to the topic. Hopefully some of the advice both of us are giving him will help :P
Seems we both just have had different problem solving experiences.

400exrider707
11-29-2007, 05:41 AM
It's amazing how many people in this thread "know" the perfect jetting for each and every mod. I think everyone needs to realize that no two of us are at the same elevation and I'm sure our climates are much different (i.e. temperature) The best anyone on here can do is to get you ballpark figures, the rest is up to you to test and tune. No one can give you exact jetting specs, because we dont have the quad here in front of us. I suggest calling Colby@C&Dracing. He is great when it comes to tuning the FCR carbs on those machines. He will get you darn close on jetting.

d3ktrix
11-29-2007, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
It's amazing how many people in this thread "know" the perfect jetting for each and every mod. I think everyone needs to realize that no two of us are at the same elevation and I'm sure our climates are much different (i.e. temperature) The best anyone on here can do is to get you ballpark figures, the rest is up to you to test and tune. No one can give you exact jetting specs, because we dont have the quad here in front of us. I suggest calling Colby@C&Dracing. He is great when it comes to tuning the FCR carbs on those machines. He will get you darn close on jetting.

Ya I'm guilty of that sometimes :P
I normally look at what state there in and go by that, but even that changes drastically.
And only try to answer when they have basic mods like no lid/exhaust. But if they have porting/+crank/BB I try to stay out of it :P

grillbutt
12-03-2007, 04:50 AM
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out

I have an 05 450R

with:
acrapovic full system , K & N filter with pro design flow lid
HRC Cam fitted and High comp piston, I'm running a 190 main jet and the needle is standard on the original clip !

Its back firing a lot and its basically running like sh*t. missing a beat and not revving out fully coughing and spluttering all the way..it should be pulling like a steam train ??

its pretty cold over here at the moment , between 5 and 10 degress celcius does this make much difference.

please help