PDA

View Full Version : bought a banshee today now i have a few questions

Cory9584
11-25-2007, 09:07 AM
I bought a 00 banshee and its in need of a top end. Im very good at working on things but anyway, once its torn down how do i tell if the sleeve can be bored again? Also im under the impression the cylinder must be resurfaced every time, am i right? Now wheres the best place to buy a wiseco rebuild kit? Lastly once all is done whats the best mixture to make it last?

yamahonda
11-25-2007, 09:55 AM
if you wanna rebiuld the topend yourself it fairly easy. but i suggest a clymers book for a rookie.. and just send your cyls to a shop to get bored. after they tell you what bore they are on then you can find piston kit on ebay or a sponser from this site. then rebiuld it yourself.. and run 32;1 ratio.

the Z Man
11-25-2007, 09:56 AM
Check your pistons and see how far they have been bored, have the head planed and mic. your cylinders, you may get by with rings..

RagunCajun
11-25-2007, 10:31 AM
For redoing the top end or ANY kind of matience or repair work, get a Clymer manual.

You need to see which size pistons etc u need. The clymer will tell you exactly how to do that.

The mixture depends on mods, jetting type of premix oil being used etc. I ran 50:1 before my port job, now i run at 40:1. I would never run 32:1 but that's my opinion. For more help go register over at everything2stroke.com and banshehq.com(it's down right now but give it time). and most importantly, read up! You will learn alot more from those two sites than any magazine can ever teach you. bike magazines are nothing but bias four stroke loving waste of paper anyways.

step869
11-25-2007, 10:42 AM
buy a manual if you new man gonna make it alot easyier

i also have two 30 over cly. for sale for a banshee

1 needs a new sleeve the other is a fresh bore
100.00 for both plus shiping
and they were just bead blasted

heres a few pics of my banshees

heres my 97

step869
11-25-2007, 10:43 AM
and heres my 01

bloodmoney23
11-25-2007, 04:11 PM
its really easy man. Get the clymer, you can buy any piston you need dirt cheap from ebay and they all come with wrist pins, wrist pin bearings, rings, pistons and installation instructions. If there are no cuts and such in cylinder walls you can get away with just honing it. If the walls look bad then get it bored. If you dont know if it has already been bored then take it to a machine shop and ask them what size it is if you dont have the tool. If the skirts of the piston or anything are chipped off you may want to check the crank case to make sure there are no fragments that fell down in or did not get shot out exhaust. You should also replace the reeds as well. Once you do a banshee topend once.....its too easy but it is highly recomended to get the clymer for torque specs and all that and so forth. All in all w/ reeds and boring you are looking at no more than $400.00 depending on what shops around you charge for machining. Good luck with all this. And 32:1 is your choice.....Its what I run on my 04 and never had a single problem. When i ran 40:1 on my 02 after about 30 hrs on a fresh topend a piston seized. But then again try them both.....EVERY BANSHEE ACTS DIFFERENT. SO when you get 50 different opinions..try them all and one will work perfect.

Cory9584
11-25-2007, 04:49 PM
I just realized i can change just the dome parts of the cool head. Now the only problem is how do i know which dome i have?

machwon
11-25-2007, 05:22 PM
There should be a number on the side of the dome to let you know what size it is. Keep in mind if you have stock port cylinders, any dome 21cc or smaller you will need to add some octane to your fuel.

RagunCajun
11-25-2007, 10:14 PM
it really depends on compression. I run 20cc domes fine on 93 and 94 octane pump gas. 21 is the safe point though. 22 is stock.

I am stuck with 20cc domes because i dont want to go through the hassel of race gas.:huh

firefighterjosh
11-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Run 32:1 ratio with oil.

01 250exman
11-28-2007, 03:26 PM
I have a 01 thats never been rebuilt, runs strong doesn't smoke and has plenty of hours on it, I run 100:1 Amsoil saber synthetic about 8 oz to 6 gal of gas its not much oil but it doesn't have to be with synthetic you will save money in the long run and top ends, best pre mix oil ever hands down trust me! :cool:

bloodmoney23
11-28-2007, 06:30 PM
actually the best oil for these bikes is bean oil. after about a couple days normal oil and fuel begin to seperate and after seperation will not mix back up. Basically makes your fuel bad. Bean oil never seperates from the fuel and runs cleaner through your bike.

RagunCajun
11-28-2007, 07:25 PM
People can preach all they want about amsoil. I quit running it. It leaves a nasty green residue on the insides. Plus it stinks.

I love my Klotz cuz it has some castor oil in it. Smells so good!

250ex2003
11-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
Bean oil never seperates from the fuel and runs cleaner through your bike. [/B]

What is bean oil:D I ran my first batch of klotz tonight and I agree it does smell good. I wish I had some of the upper cylinder lube that smelled like bubble gum to run through it. I used to run that stuff in my drag car. Made the pits smell like a candy shop :cool: