PDA

View Full Version : DIY - Nitrous... What do you think?

pro-rider46
11-24-2007, 08:51 PM
hey, tell me what you think about this, seems interesting, but it also looks like a pos, idk, seems like a idea tho.

http://www.diy-nitrous.fsnet.co.uk/nitrous-solenoid.htm

300exPat
11-24-2007, 09:32 PM
what are you putting it on? I dont think many of us really want to be spraying that through our quads and for my car id just pay the extra money to buy a real kit

pro-rider46
11-24-2007, 09:40 PM
i am not putting it on anything as of now, i just wanted to know what people thought about it. but would be a bad idea on a quad, if done correctly

pro-rider46
11-25-2007, 06:33 PM
aww come on fellas there has to be more than 1 thought!

rancherrider69
11-25-2007, 06:37 PM
nitrous is very hard on your engine

pro-rider46
11-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by rancherrider69
nitrous is very hard on your engine
only if its setup wrong

rancherrider69
11-25-2007, 06:59 PM
even set up right it is putting a lot of stress on the engine...

trick450r
11-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by rancherrider69
even set up right it is putting a lot of stress on the engine...

its not bad if used in moderation...my freind has a 100 shot on his 04' cobra and he uses it every weekend and drives the car daily...for a few years now.

wilkin250r
11-26-2007, 12:17 AM
I have found that the only people afraid of nitrous are those people that have never used it.

Personally, I'm not too keen on the idea of rebuilding and modifying a solenoid to handle higher pressure, using a 6V solenoid with a 12V system. I'll just buy a solenoid specifically designed for my purposes, thank you.

Same with the nozzle. It just seems like all the "D-I-Y" nozzles are cheap plastic nuts that are much larger than they need to be, which adds restrictions and turbulence to your intake path. I like the professional nozzles. They are much smaller, and can provide a spray in the exact direction you want.

Well, heck. If I'm already buying specific professional nitrous nozzles and solenoids, that's half my kit. I may as well just get a proper bottle and fuel pump with it, rather than some cheesy "D-I-Y" bottle and pump.

So, Nitrous gets a thumbs up, but the DIY portion gets a thumbs down from me.

mineralgrey01gt
11-26-2007, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by trick450r
its not bad if used in moderation...my freind has a 100 shot on his 04' cobra and he uses it every weekend and drives the car daily...for a few years now.

lol that car also has a beefed up bottom end from the factory, kinda hard to say it about a cobra

that set up looks like crap IMO and i would not do it

pro-rider46
11-26-2007, 12:36 AM
just a quick question, would a paintball co2 tank be able to handle the nitrous. i have no clu what kinda pressure that they normally use, but i know that nos is around 800 psi, i think my friend said something that his tank that uses O2 fills up at 3000 psi, i cant quite remeber but those tanks 're around 150 to 300 dollars, so i would might as well buy a NOS tank.

pro-rider46
11-26-2007, 12:41 AM
and do you have to have a fuel pump to supply fuel to the silinoid(SP), or can it be gravity fed?

mineralgrey01gt
11-26-2007, 12:46 AM
it would be way easier just to buy a nitrous kit designed for an atv, and 1000x safer

wilkin250r
11-26-2007, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
and do you have to have a fuel pump to supply fuel to the silinoid(SP), or can it be gravity fed?

I've heard of people doing it gravity-fed, but the fuel pump will add both performance AND reliability.

Think about it. The reason everybody says "it's very dangerous" is because people HAVE blown up thier motors with it.

Something like a fuel pump, or the proper solenoid, will cost an extra hundred bucks or so. Are you really willing to risk your motor and thousands of dollars in damage simply because you weren't willing to throw an extra hundred bucks into your nitrous system?

It isn't nearly as dangerous as some people make it out to be, but it DOES have the potential to destroy your motor. My advice is, if you are going to do it, then do it right.

pro-rider46
11-26-2007, 10:46 AM
if i would ever be doing this, i would be doing it right, i just wanted peoples opinions, but wouldnt be cheaper to get good parts and do it yourself, you could buy good nos solenoids for about 100, and you get some nos jets, all you would need is your lines, a bottle, and you would need to wire up the solenoid to your switches and power source, thats just bout all you need, and thats surely less than the kit. oh and i almost forgot about the fuel pump. but still less than 700+

416exfreak
11-26-2007, 10:51 AM
For not much than that you could buy and built a turbo for any quad.

Turbonetics sells a small turnbo for a some sort of car they only sell overseas, but my dad is getting some chasis work done by a guy who is a licensed turbonetics dealer. After talking with him, they decided that to buy everyhting and built the kit for my dads 700 raptor it would be about $1300.

It's 600 bucks more than your estimate for N2O, but hell. The power is always there, and it doesnt have to be refilled.:p

pro-rider46
11-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
For not much than that you could buy and built a turbo for any quad.

Turbonetics sells a small turnbo for a some sort of car they only sell overseas, but my dad is getting some chasis work done by a guy who is a licensed turbonetics dealer. After talking with him, they decided that to buy everyhting and built the kit for my dads 700 raptor it would be about $1300.

It's 600 bucks more than your estimate for N2O, but hell. The power is always there, and it doesnt have to be refilled.:p

trust me i have thought about turbos on my quad, haha, when ever i go down to my computer, and i will show you a link to a turbo charged 450r. its turbo_530r's btw, and it had a 530cc kit in it. and a garrett t25 turbo, with efi, and layed out over 120hp. i would love to do that, i will give to the link later

pro-rider46
11-26-2007, 12:12 PM
here is the thread

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196542&perpage=13&pagenumber=1

416exfreak
11-26-2007, 12:21 PM
I wouldnt mind running a few passes on that thing:]

exsweetie66
11-26-2007, 12:47 PM
hate to say it. but sounds pointless/stupid to me. wasted money....why dont you invest in more performance components if you want it to run faster? wouldn't the parts be a little more accessable also???

exsweetie66
11-26-2007, 01:03 PM
hate to say it. but sounds pointless/stupid to me. wasted money....why dont you invest in more performance components if you want it to run faster? wouldn't the parts be a little more accessable also???

wilkin250r
11-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
but wouldnt be cheaper to get good parts and do it yourself, you could buy good nos solenoids for about 100, and you get some nos jets, all you would need is your lines, a bottle, and you would need to wire up the solenoid to your switches and power source, thats just bout all you need, and thats surely less than the kit. oh and i almost forgot about the fuel pump. but still less than 700+

Absolutely it can be done.

There are a few tips and tricks that are engineered into the kit that you would need to know if you piece it together yourself.

-You need to know all the little fittings and lines. High-pressure lines and tiny compression fittings.

-You want to keep your lines from your solenoids to your nozzle as short as possible, and only big enough to provide the flow you need, no larger.

These are the main ones that spring to my mind right away, I'm sure there are other tips and tricks.

For these types of reasons, I would suggest looking for a decent used kit, even if all the pieces aren't there. With a kit, you can just copy the existing plumbing. It's much easier to bring an existing part to the hardware store and copy it, rather than trying to figure it all on your own.

I was able to buy mine on ebay for about $200. It was originally for a 2-stroke watercraft with multiple cylinders, but all the basic pieces were the same. A few plumbing changes easily adapted it to a single-cylinder 4-stroke.

pro-rider46
11-26-2007, 11:38 PM
wow i didnt know that you used nos, can you give me some details on what you did and what machine you did it too

wilkin250r
11-27-2007, 01:07 AM
First, I spent hours and hours researching nitrous. How it works, different kits out there, different installation and injection strategies. (I came across that same DIY nitrous a few years ago).

I bought a used kit on ebay, and I installed it on a little 250X because I didn't care if I blew that motor up.

When I first installed it, I put it in the air boot between the filter and carb, so it was spraying directly THROUGH the carb. (which turned out to be a bad location). When I first tested it, I had way too much fuel, and it just bogged. I couldn't go smaller on the fuel, so I went bigger on the nitrous, and I got a small boost, but nothing spectacular.

I later changed the location of the nitrous. I moved it to the other side of the carb, so it injected directly into the head. At the same time, I wasn't happy with the performance, so I changed to larger jets.

THAT DID IT!! Oh, man, was it cool.

I had tear it down to change a few things, so I decided to go even larger on the nitrous while I was in there.

HOLY SMOKES!!! This little 250X became a fire-breathing monster!!! I hit the button in 3rd gear, and the front wheels shot skyward. I was leaning forward, so it didn't come over on me, and I didn't have to let off the button. It was probably the coolest wheelie I've ever done in my life, and I had a grin on my face for three solid hours afterwards. In fact, I still grin to this day when I think about it.

Unfortunately, it never ran right after that. I did the calculations later, I was pushing about 40HP through that little 250x, and the engine was already worn out before I bought it, it just couldn't hang. I rebuilt it a couple years later and sold it to finance a trip to Hawaii. But I don't regret it a bit.