PDA

View Full Version : Fan Cooler 400ex--Must Read!

Wheelie
11-24-2007, 01:42 PM
I found this yesterday and figured I'd pass the information on. These fans are small, light and powerful--designed for this type of application. A puller is a must as a pusher won't fit.

Here's the link. I might be buying one in a couple weeks--depending on what the doctor says about my arm.

Link--www.spal-usa.com. Click on fans on the left bar, then click on Motorcycle/ATV. There are 4", 5.2" and 5.6" pusher and puller fans available.

11-24-2007, 01:52 PM
i'm interested to see how it would turn out on a 400ex

Wheelie
11-24-2007, 01:57 PM
When I get one installed, I'll be removing the CBR1100 oil cooler and re-installing the stocker for a cleaner look. I like the thought of having better control of the oil temperatures.

I'll do a write up and keep everyone posted--it might be a couple months. But it will be done.

FYI--The stock alternator has a output of just over 12 amps--so the 4 amp draw of the 5.2" fan shouldn't be a problem. Especially for those who are running Busa batteries.

11-24-2007, 01:58 PM
so you think the fan will be better than having the crb oil cooler? or?

Wheelie
11-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Yes and no.

Yes--Cleaner look, no interferance with the stock front fender brackets, and better control of oil temps due to cooling on demand.

No--Less oil cooler surface area (which will be offset by the fan), and losing a few extra ounces of capacity gained by the CBR install.

The fan is also more expensive. To me, the pros outwieght the cons. I like the ability to increase cooling capacity by simply flipping a switch.

11-24-2007, 02:05 PM
cool, i'm anxious to see how this turns out

j450rking
11-24-2007, 11:34 PM
i think the cbr cooler would be better imo

11-24-2007, 11:37 PM
thats what i thought but lets wait to find out

red_rider_069
11-26-2007, 02:48 PM
so how much is the fan? and how hard would it be to have it installed? let me know thanks!:D

Wheelie
11-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Go to the website--all the pricing and hardware is there.

Installation would have to be custom done. I'm thinking about doing the installation on mine in such a way that it could easily be reproduced for those wanting a bolt in kit. I could sell the mounting kit, all the buyer has to do is buy the fan.

red_rider_069
11-26-2007, 03:00 PM
yea off topic.. how does ur 440 stroker run? oih yea i think that the fan wont work as good as getting a abigger reserve..

Wheelie
11-26-2007, 03:10 PM
The stroker runs hard.

Larger oil tanks don't do much to lower oil temp, 8-10 degrees at best. It takes longer for the oil to heat up, but ultimately the oil will reach the same temperature as it did with the stocker.

The CBR cooler does a decent job, except when moving slow. Also, if one rides in cooler weather, oil may not reach ideal temperature and potentially cause engine damage. Use of the fan still allow oil to heat up to proper temperature, and better control of those temps once ideal temp is reached. It will be easier to cool off a hot engine once the unit is shut off as well.

red_rider_069
11-26-2007, 03:13 PM
well that doesnt really convince me.. its like 70 bucks and instalation wouild would be hard... since u have to cutsumise it

Wheelie
11-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Any cooling solution for the 400ex that is worthwhile requires custom work for the install.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that this is the way to go. I found the site and thought I share what I believed was worthwhile information that some might fight interesting.

The install will be well documented, and I believe, fairly simple.

project400ex19
11-26-2007, 04:53 PM
I definately think a fan will help expecially in tight technical trails. As far as racing and dessert rides where it is more wide open or a mx race where your quad is only running for 20 mins. Don't think it's nessisarily worth it. But thanks for sharing it with us. always open for new ideas.

The CBR oil cooler sticks out a ways? any pics of your cbr oil cooler install?

08400EX
11-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by red_rider_069
well that doesnt really convince me.. its like 70 bucks and instalation wouild would be hard... since u have to cutsumise it

If it will help with this project I am a Spal Dealer and can get those fans for around $45-50.

I just installed 2 of the 5.2" fans on the original ATF cooler of my 05 F-150 and the difference in trans fluid temp was dramatic. I bought a cheap 170 degree fan switch and used that to automatically control the fans. Before the fans I was hitting temps of 240 plus on steep slow mountain roads pulling my Toyhauler, now I haven't seen it get over 211 on the same roads/conditions.

If any of you are interested I can see what we can do for a group buy type deal.

FYI, I am not in the ATV parts business and if this is out of line as far as sponsors go, please let me know and I will delete this post.

red_rider_069
11-27-2007, 11:49 PM
no dude sounds good,a group fix sounds good.. that is if you think it wouldnt be hard to install the fan.. im sure every one would agree that if its under 100 and any one can do it a group fix would be great!

08400EX
11-28-2007, 10:19 AM
I did some measuring and the 4" fan will fit behind the oil cooler very easily. Actually there is room for 2 of them i you really needed the extra (doubtful). The 5.2" would probably fit but that fan is way overkill for the application AND pretty loud.

I just checked with Spal and got my cost pricing for the 4" fan.

Keep in mind this is my exact cost and doesn't include shipping cost to me or to you. Obviously the more I buy at a time the less the per fan shipping cost to me will be. Also any Credit card or Paypal fees will have to passed on. Basically as long as my company can pass these on without a loss and break even I am happy to help out.

4" Spal ATV/MC Fan (Puller) - Part #30103018

Quantity 1-5 $44.95
Quantity 6-11 $42.70
Quantity 12+ $40.46

Link to tech sheet with all the measurements and specs:

http://www.spal-usa.com/fans/automated/tech_sheets/3009-3018.pdf

You can send me a PM or e-mail if you are interested. I am going to order a couple to experiment with and will post install tips and tricks when I get them. Should be about a week or so from now.

sc400ex_rider
11-28-2007, 10:48 AM
ebay has the 5.2 for$34 and $7 ship
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Spal-5-2-Motorcycle-ATV-Axial-Motor-Fan_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34284QQihZ010QQitem Z200176773718QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
dont know why the link dont work look up atv fan

08400EX
11-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Here is a direct link to that company. Maybe someone should call them and see if they have the 4" that cheap, or how many of the 5.2s they have. They currently have 2 listed at that price on Ebay.

http://www.proairllc.com/

Unless they are selling off a few fans they don't want, they must be buying thousands of fans at a time to get pricing like that. I am way to small to compete with pricing like that if that is the case. I only buy a hundred or so a year of Spal automotive fans for my Supercharger kits.

Choppers
11-28-2007, 03:29 PM
i am very interested in this. would you have to make your own mounting braket or what would you have to do?

Wheelie
11-28-2007, 08:09 PM
SC400ex--The fans on ebay are pushers, not pullers. I found those a couple days ago, that's what gave me the idea of looking on Spals site.

Choppers---The mounting would have to be custom. When mine gets mounted, I'm going to try to make it a easy setup to mass produce. It shouldn't be difficult.

08--Keep us posted. Depending on what my doctors says next Thursday, I might be ready to order one next week. If a group buy looks promising, I'll wait until the numbers are met.

08--Do you think the wiring kit w/relay is absolutely necessary? Does the fan come with the plug to plug into the fan pigtail?

08400EX
11-28-2007, 08:28 PM
I really think the mounting will be very simple. I ordered a couple of Spal's mount kits to try but doubt I will need them. They shipped out to me today and I should have them mid next week.

Concerning wiring, a relay will not be necessary, these fans are only about 2-3 amps.

The simplest way will be to cut off the fan connector, use waterproof crimp connectors and splice wires that go to a fused switched positive (probably from Ignition switch) via an on/off switch and a ground wire. I can also get the plug in connectors for the fan with 24" leads, but I don't think it would be worth it. If I recall they are arounf $8-10. Cutting off the connector as I decribed above would be the simplest and most cost effective way.

You could also buy an inexpensive 195 degree probe type temp switch and insert it in the oil cooler fins and let the fan come on and off automatically. The wiring would be the same as above or you could run the temp probe and manual switch in parallel. This would give you manual control as well as automatic. 195 degree in the cooler should be about right to keep the temps in the 200-220 range in the engine. If you find the fan comes on too early you could insert the probe to the output (cooler) side of the oil cooler which will be cooler than the input side.

I doubt I will use both fans so I will have one here next week if anyone wants it. I also think I know a good place to get the temp probe swithes for about $6 or so, will confirm tomorrow.

Choppers
11-28-2007, 08:29 PM
ok. sounds good any idea on cost of that mounting braket when you get it made?lol

08400EX
11-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Choppers
ok. sounds good any idea on cost of that mounting braket when you get it made?lol

IF I can get the mounting kits from Spal to work, they only cost around $1.50. They are basically "pins" that go thru the fins of the cooler into the fan. Since the spacing for the fan mounting holes is 3.25" it may be too tall to run the pins thru the cooler (looks to be around 3" tall). If necessary a couple of thin flat aluminum strips will solve that issue. Either way the mounting will be simple.

11-28-2007, 08:48 PM
wheelie, could I see some pictures of the cbr oil cooler on the 400ex? i'm curious to see how big it is, how it looks and how it performs. i would really like to get my engine temperatures down because I ride where its pretty hot most of the time. 3 days ago it was 85 degrees and this is late november

Wheelie
11-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Pins, IMO are never a good idea. It's a good way to ruin a radiator/oil cooler. Especially in a high impact/vibration environment.

I plan on making an actual mount setup. Cost--I don't know yet. After I find out what it takes, I'll have a better idea.

j450rking
11-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
wheelie, could I see some pictures of the cbr oil cooler on the 400ex? i'm curious to see how big it is, how it looks and how it performs. i would really like to get my engine temperatures down because I ride where its pretty hot most of the time. 3 days ago it was 85 degrees and this is late november

here is a pic of my cbr cooler without all the plastic and everything. with the plastic on there is about an inch and a half to two inches of space in between the cooler and the plastic

Wheelie
12-15-2007, 08:51 PM
08400ex--

Any updates? Do you still have the extra fan?

08400EX
12-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Yes, the fans came in and the fit is great. I have been playing with the new toy and got distracted from the fan project. I actually was holding it up on the back side of my 08 yesterday to do some measuring for the 2 strips of aluminum needed to mount it.

If all goes well I may mount and wire it up tomorrow.

Oh, yes I still have the extra one here.

Wheelie
12-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Keep us posted.

You've got the 4" puller, right?

Any more info on the temp probe switches?

Wheelie
12-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Any updates 08?

08400EX
12-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
Any updates 08?

Yes, I have my brackets made and have the wiring planned out. I am using a thread on fitting with a built in temp sensor to automatically turn the fan on and off. I am putting the sensor fitting on the oil return line where it threads into the top of the oil tank. The first one I got in was the wrong size, the hopefully correct one will be here this week. I have tracking info and FedEx says Dec 27th for delivery. If I have the correct size it will be a simple fitting that threads on where the hose threads on to the tank and then the oil hose will thread into it. Then ground one wire of the switch and the other side for the ground wire of the fan. Then simply attach the fused 12 v positive to a good power supply. Simple and easy!

Here is a pic of the adapter fitting.

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/200/259/259-15721.jpg

Grizzly_A
12-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Looking forward to seeing the mounting and how it works for you.

I know this is off-application, there are other fans (without the sealed motor) that pull the same amount of amperage and have a higher CFM.

http://www.delta.com.tw/product/cp/dcfans/download/pdf/PFB/PFB120x120x38mm.pdf

The cost is considerably less ($20), but it doesn't have the sealed motors.

skillet
01-02-2008, 07:31 PM
08400ex where did you get your fitting with the sensor in it, and do you have any part numbers for it.

08400EX
01-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by skillet
08400ex where did you get your fitting with the sensor in it, and do you have any part numbers for it.

They came from Jegs, made by Derale.

I just got back yesterday from 4 day ride trip at Hatfield McCoy Trails and the new one had arrived. Unfortunately neither one I ordered fit where I want it to. I could cut the return hose and use the supplied barb adapters, but I refuse to do that.

I will update when I find the right one.

Happy New Year!

250exkid
01-05-2008, 07:05 PM
any pics with the fan on?

400sEXridr
01-16-2008, 03:13 PM
will the fan work with the cbr cooler

nick249420
01-17-2008, 10:14 AM
im confused on the whole pusher puller thing .. if i wanted to put a fan on the back side of the oil cooler (like the 450s) im guessing you would use a puller

REPOMAN
02-05-2008, 07:04 PM
i would like to run a couple of 4" fans. 08 can you still get them at the price you listed?

08400EX
02-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by REPOMAN
i would like to run a couple of 4" fans. 08 can you still get them at the price you listed?

Repo,

Yes I can still get them at that price. FWIW, I work extensively with Intercooler and oil cooler systems on Supercharged 500-600HP Sports cars and honestly 2 is way overkill and not needed. One of these fans will be more than enough. Plus fitting 2 of them in the correct location for proper and efficent airflow is almost a no-go.

That being said I can get 2 for you. I currently have 1 on hand if you decide to do just 1 and could ship it as early as tomorrow.

Send me a PM with your info and zip and I will get you an exact total with shipping.

Dave

REPOMAN
02-05-2008, 07:28 PM
pm sent

Wheelie
02-05-2008, 08:42 PM
One of those 4" fans move alot of air. I was concerned about it being enough air until I got my hands on one. It will be plenty.

Thanks again for the fan 08'!!

I get my frame back this weekend and will be riding soon. I'll post pics of the install as well.