PDA

View Full Version : swingarm and elkas

400exfan19
11-22-2007, 07:04 PM
what kind of advantages are there to having a extended swingarm for the dunes? any opinions about the elka dune suspension? is it still good for off sand jumping and trail riding?

ohsobad_chevy
11-23-2007, 09:24 AM
I have a +3 on my quad and my buddy has a +4 on his.......going to a +3 on my quad made it ride smoother and also made the front end stay down a little easier when launching ( I am NOT a drag racer!!!! ) I handle the tight trails fine and it handles great in the air.....really plains out well when I am jumping. I have Elka shocks as well, and all I can say is WOW!! :cool:

ohsobad_chevy
11-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Here is a pic of my quad with a +3 swinger.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d44/ohsobad_chevy/DSC00277.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d44/ohsobad_chevy/DSC00280.jpg

:D

400exfan19
11-23-2007, 04:51 PM
thanks alot for the reply, i only ride dunes once or maybe twice a year, so the rest is either minor trail riding or homemade track riding, is the swinger better for jumping, any disadvantages? i guess i wont be able to do many wheelies any more? if you have the elka dune suspension...is it good for other types of riding besides dunes? btw, NICE YFZ!! the one i am getting is similar it is the white 2005

ohsobad_chevy
11-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by 400exfan19
thanks alot for the reply, i only ride dunes once or maybe twice a year, so the rest is either minor trail riding or homemade track riding, is the swinger better for jumping, any disadvantages? i guess i wont be able to do many wheelies any more? if you have the elka dune suspension...is it good for other types of riding besides dunes? btw, NICE YFZ!! the one i am getting is similar it is the white 2005

NP bro and thanks for the compliments. I ride 75% dunes and the rest is XC and free-riding. I got the XC valving on my Elkas, simply because I didn't want all the softness from dune valving, but didn't want quit the firmness of MX valving. I think that the swinger helps you with control in the air, thats the main thing I noticed when jumping. I tend to plain the quad out in the air easier, rather than having the front end come up, or endoing. As far as wheeling, I have no problems pulling the front end up, what I was talking about is when I launch with traction, the front end doesn't come up as easy, but slightly noticeable.

The disadvantages are the turning radius, I can only tell a difference when I am barely moving and trying to turn sharp, but thats why you have a clutch and the ponies to spin the tires. :p
In tight trails, I hardly notice the difference, it all depends on how you ride and if you can corner well. ;)

If you have any questions about Elkas, contact Elka and ask to talk to Erik.....he's very knowledgeable and very willing to help you with any questions you have.

Happy riding, bro.

:)