PDA

View Full Version : Guys with rangers, anyone ever replace wheel bearing???

zdowell
11-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Its a 4x4 98 Ranger XLT. The wheel bearings in the front are on their way out and was wondering how much it cost you to have it fixed? Im not sure if i have to only replace the bearing or replace the whole spindle. Anyone have first hand experience?

400exrider707
11-22-2007, 12:38 PM
I cant remember if the a-arm setup on your 98 was like my beam setup on my 97. On mine, the bearing was inside the brake rotor. You usually got new bearings with the brakes. They were relatively easy to replace. It was more work to change out the rotor itself than it was to pop the bearings in. You should be able to tell if you just pop the wheel off.

deathman53
11-22-2007, 01:56 PM
I had that happen to mine, the front end was making a humming noise. I brought it to ford and they said it was the front 4x4 hubs, can't replace the bearings. The other side was almost on its way out too. As I remember they had to fight ford for the extended warranty to cover this, the other side they wouldn't cover. About 2 years later, the other side went too, along with more problems.

c450Razy
11-22-2007, 02:16 PM
kinda off topic but, ford just said that they are going to stop production of the ranger in 08..

400exrider707
11-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I had that happen to mine, the front end was making a humming noise. I brought it to ford and they said it was the front 4x4 hubs, can't replace the bearings. The other side was almost on its way out too. As I remember they had to fight ford for the extended warranty to cover this, the other side they wouldn't cover. About 2 years later, the other side went too, along with more problems.

There are no bearings in the auto 4x4 hubs. Its just a mechanical lock on to the axle. The 98's and up were operated by vacuum which constantly failed. Auto hubs are junk and do break, which is why you see warn and superwinch manual locking hubs on a lot of those trucks. I had the warns myself on my 97, a much stronger unit than the stockers that I cracked. Completely different than the hub bearing that he is talking about.

KXRida
11-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Just to clarify, a 97 and 98 do not have the same front axles. A 97 ran a dana 35 TTB and the 98 and up run short long arms. Not the same. A D35 wheel bearing replacement can be done for under $100 and that is with timken bearings.

KXRida
11-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I cant remember if the a-arm setup on your 98 was like my beam setup on my 97. On mine, the bearing was inside the brake rotor. You usually got new bearings with the brakes. They were relatively easy to replace. It was more work to change out the rotor itself than it was to pop the bearings in. You should be able to tell if you just pop the wheel off.

yah haha easy isn't it? Anymore I have chaning front shafts down to 5-10 minutes. The longest part is getting all those damn jam nuts and washers off haha

SRH
11-22-2007, 06:23 PM
my 97 2x4 is the same as doing my quads:p whats replacing the ranger ????/?

zdowell
11-22-2007, 06:30 PM
I do not want to have to replace the whole hub, that is going to suck, mostly just because of the ^&%$ price. Its so annoying now.

KXRida
11-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
There are no bearings in the auto 4x4 hubs. Its just a mechanical lock on to the axle. The 98's and up were operated by vacuum which constantly failed. Auto hubs are junk and do break, which is why you see warn and superwinch manual locking hubs on a lot of those trucks. I had the warns myself on my 97, a much stronger unit than the stockers that I cracked. Completely different than the hub bearing that he is talking about.

yah the warn hubs are a lot stronger. I don't have the luxury of a D35, I'm stuck with a damn 28 for the time being. Well I have a 35, but I'm not even going to waste my time putting it in. Going straight to a SAS 44.

zdowell.... check therangerstation.com Great guys over there. They have tons of know how guys over there. I'll ask my brother about replace your hubs and what not. He's pretty much the ranger god around here. Too bad you didn't have a generation I, II or III. I have about 4 sets of hubs just laying here. If I come across a pair I'll let you know. Haha, wanna put a traction beam in it? I have about 3 of those here too.

zdowell
11-22-2007, 09:57 PM
thanks kxrida, that be great. Tomorrow im going to have it checked. I PRAY its not both sides. Parents said they will foot the bill, but looks like im not getting paid to frame the basement over winter break.