PDA

View Full Version : typhoon motors

lilman
11-21-2007, 04:16 PM
i have a 2007 typhoon 125 the clutch adjusting nut apears to be on the crank ive seen pics of them back futher also which is the real deal typhoon i was told ours is real also does anybody have set up specs for the front suspension ours is almost uncontrolable in the whoops! other than that my son loves it and it has been quite reliable

azextreme
11-21-2007, 04:19 PM
what color is the bike?

lilman
11-21-2007, 04:29 PM
the bike is orange

lilman
11-21-2007, 04:32 PM
i would also like to mod it if anyone knows where to start or has done one any info would be great,ive heard the 146 will tear the crank out?i am ordering a 26mm carb

gmen
11-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Change to HC piston ,get it from Xtreme.
The cam also from Xtreme.Thats the most bang for the buck.
The carb will also help.
The machine is ill handling in the whoops,
2 options,
first steering stabilizer.
Second go with the Elka system.

ml450r
11-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Have you tried to adjust positive caster into the a arms. It will not fight you so much in the whoops.

Just turn the front upper heim joints out 2 turns on each a arm. (moving the upper ball joint towards the rear) The bike will want to push in the corners if you go to far.

gmen
11-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Clutch
TY125 has a dual clutch,centrif and a clutch basket.
The nut and bolt on the primary side is the (stall) manual clutch link .Hold the shifter lever up or down and the bike will not move.That is your adjustment for the (stall) clutch disengagement. I know it is kinda complicated but it is actually easy to use.
If you clutch basket is mounted on the crank shaft you DO NOT have a TY125 Xtreme

gmen
11-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Caster is the angle to which the steering pivot axis is tilted forward or rearward from vertical, as viewed from the side. If the pivot axis is tilted backward (that is, the top pivot is positioned farther rearward than the bottom pivot), then the caster is positive; if it's tilted forward, then the caster is negative.
Caster ,is the move the a-arm at the point of the chassis front to rear,think of a shopping cart.
You cannot adjust caster on a quad with some sort of welding and fabrication involved
I am not trying to correct you on camber and caster,but it is as different as camber and toe in. Greg

gmen
11-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Camber is the angle of the wheel relative to vertical, as viewed from the front or the rear of the car. If the wheel leans in towards the chassis, it has negative camber; if it leans away from the car, it has positive camber . The cornering force that a tire can develop is highly dependent on its angle relative to the road surface, and so wheel camber has a major effect on the road holding of a car. It's interesting to note that a tire develops its maximum cornering force at a small negative camber angle, typically around neg. 1/2 degree. This fact is due to the contribution of camber thrust, which is an additional lateral force generated by elastic deformation as the tread rubber pulls through the tire/road interface (the contact patch).

gmen
11-21-2007, 06:59 PM
Toe -in
When a pair of wheels is set so that their leading edges are pointed slightly towards each other, the wheel pair is said to have toe-in. If the leading edges point away from each other, the pair is said to have toe-out. The amount of toe can be expressed in degrees as the angle to which the wheels are out of parallel, or more commonly, as the difference between the track widths as measured at the leading and trailing edges of the tires or wheels. Toe settings affect three major areas of performance: tire wear, straight-line stability and corner entry handling characteristics.

ml450r
11-22-2007, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by gmen
Caster is the angle to which the steering pivot axis is tilted forward or rearward from vertical, as viewed from the side. If the pivot axis is tilted backward (that is, the top pivot is positioned farther rearward than the bottom pivot), then the caster is positive; if it's tilted forward, then the caster is negative.
Caster ,is the move the a-arm at the point of the chassis front to rear,think of a shopping cart.
You cannot adjust caster on a quad with some sort of welding and fabrication involved
I am not trying to correct you on camber and caster,but it is as different as camber and toe in. Greg

I understand what caster is. I think :confused: . The extreme a arms have heim joints where they bolt to the frame. If you make the front of the upper a arm longer it will move the upper ball joint to the rear in relation to the lower ball joint. Positive caster will give you less feedback and steer less precise. Negative caster will make the bike feel somewhat "twitchy", especially noticeable on a rough track or in whoops. The front end is somewhat heavy on the Typhoon because of the long swingarm, so it will steer decent with more positive caster than a lighter front end.

I have raced motocross in the A class since 2000. I am talking from what I have learned from racing. I have raced a 250r, 400ex, lonestar hybrid, YFZ, TRX and the LTR. I really got into working on the front end when I started racing the YFZ. It has a lot of weight transfer to the front so it would feel twitchy on braking bumps, while trying to slow down for a corner on a rough track. I also had walsh make me a set of upper adjustable a arms for my LTR, just so I could put some positive caster into it.

Anyhow, I am not sure if my thinking is right on paper, but I know what it does to the handling on the track. I just bought the typhoon for my son and the first thing I noticed was the caster and camber were both out of whack. I lowered the rear end and raised the front, put positive caster and a little negative camber,and 1/8" of toe in. The bike seems to handle better. He doesn't race yet, but he's got the bike to now...lol

Merrill Crose

ml450r
11-22-2007, 07:04 AM
I adjusted the camber by the ball joints, threaded top one in.

gmen
11-22-2007, 07:53 AM
you are right,my over site.
Adjusting the heim joints will do it.
And that would be caster.