PDA

View Full Version : Flip or no flip?

Derrick Adams
11-21-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm going to try out the C-class next spring at the local MX track. I would like to know if anyone can tell me the pros/ cons of flipping my front wheels around for a wider stance.

Before you pop a gasket, let me explain. I would like to see if MX on the quad is something I would want to do before I invest a ton of cash in a-arms and shocks. So I thought this might be an alternative. (for temporary)

I was thinking that flipping the front wheels and adding spacers to the rear axle would at least keep it stable.

450rJam
11-21-2007, 04:10 PM
it will make it wider, so from that stand point it would corner better but you will get more bump steer, I have a 250ex that has spacers on rear and flipped rims on front but it dont get pushed very hard at all

(its just so the wife dont roll it as easy)

I dont know if I would race it like that, maybe do it and go to a practice day to see how it goes

stabilizer wouldnt be a bad idea

Crazy lil punk
11-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Just leave them normal and go out and ride, everyone will look at you like your a goon if you flip your wheels, plus it prob makes it supper easy to snap your axle studs, leave it normal, and go out and HAVE FUN!

ridered92
11-24-2007, 06:35 AM
yeah the idiot that had my 01 300ex before me fliped the front wheels around and it did not handle well at all plus you have to drill the hole for a new stem an plug the old one and once you do that no one will touch them to fix it if you hate them enless you have a friend that has a tire machine or you have one your self so imo i would not do it. amd as far as the spacer go the same idiot that owned my 300ex before me dident put real spacer on the rear he put huge bolts there to make it wider and i almost lost a tire a 45mph so i dont have experience with real space but half a**ing it isent a good idea

11-24-2007, 07:58 PM
flip=wider+more bumpsteer
no flip=not as wide, no bump steer

i would not flip them.

TWISTED DINLI
11-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by coreymx58
flip=wider+more bumpsteer
no flip=not as wide, no bump steer

i would not flip them.

well said

jim_beam_racer
11-25-2007, 01:23 PM
well u dont want u quad to wide but if u add spacers and flip ur wheels when u land it gives more leverage to snap the studs off just go ride and have fun

Derrick Adams
11-30-2007, 06:49 AM
Ok, so it seems its better to run stock width.

So do you get the same effect of increased bump steer with front spacers, or different offset wheels? I'm assuming you would.

ridered92
11-30-2007, 07:24 AM
if you want a wider front end then go get some after market a-arms and if you want the rear wider if i remember right you can get along axle and if you get an axle you should get a bearing carrier too.

Flynbryan19
11-30-2007, 09:12 AM
Just go ride it stock and see if its something you want to do. Go ahead and get some low profile mx tires and it will help alot in cornering. Flipping wheels and wheel spacers are a bad idea plain and simple. It puts ALOT of stress on parts.

Try riding mx first stock and if you like it THEN start modifying it the RIGHT way. ;)

jdinville3
12-05-2007, 02:08 PM
Well what they aren't telling you is some vital information. If you did flip them around yeah you will be fine being your only racing a few times in C class. One thing you have to do is get stubby valve stems or you can't flip them. They will hit the calipers if you don't. Another thing is the tie rod end on the stock yfz are pretty soft. So my advice is if you do it keep a tie rod end of each left and right thread on hand. I started this way and NEVER broke a thing hitting all the jumps with stock shocks. Good luck and once you go MX there is a good chance you won't go back to anything else..... James

Dr89
12-16-2007, 09:08 PM
for your uses wheel spacers aren't a bad alternative. i know what you mean about the money thing, and wheel spacers really do (no matter what ppl say) help A LOT with stability when it comes right down to it. i dont recommend them for like 120 foot table tops or 60 foot doubles but...if, like you said, your just getting started racing and want the added stability and cornering capabilities that come with a wider stance get some dura blue wheel spacers until you can afford arms, axle, shocks, etc...you'll noticeably feel a BIG difference.

dont flip the wheels tho...not worth it, the negatives out way the positives like 6 to 1

450rJam
12-17-2007, 04:10 AM
you dont need short valve stems (just put the stock ones in backward, and drill a new hole on the other side)

better to do the arms/axle but not everyone can afford that

spacers/flipping rims accomplish the same thing
both add more stress to susp. components

Ogener
12-17-2007, 11:23 AM
I've ridden my warrior pretty hard for a year with fipped rims and haven't broken anything major yet. I have broken a tie rod end once. It does ad a bit of bump steer and makes the front end a bit softer but the same will happen if you get longer a-arms without getting new shocks. If your only going to race C class afew times I would say give it a shot. I would recamend trying out the smaller race tires and wheels first becuase the lower center of gravity will help out greatly.

450rJam
12-17-2007, 04:55 PM
ummmmmmmmmm.....................

what ?

hard read that one it was lol