PDA

View Full Version : piston/hotcam setup question

Hondamaster5505
11-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Im gonna be buyin an 11.1 piston and hotcam soon.

With my dmc which is a mid-top end pipe, i want a top end cam too. So since the hotcam stage 2 has better top, should i get that?

honda8&3
11-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Well the stage 2 is more for modified engines like 416's and such IMO. So I'd say get a stage 1 with the high comp. piston.;)

Hondamaster5505
11-21-2007, 01:23 PM
so a stg 1 would give more power on my bike?

honda8&3
11-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Well with the piston you are putting in I think so. Not 100% positive but it is more practical since your engine is mostly stock besides a high comp. piston;)

gcart2
11-21-2007, 03:55 PM
i would suggest running stage 2. if u running hicomp piston u will be fine. plus stage 1 is for low end.... get stage 2/ i run it.. workjs great

boosted3g
11-22-2007, 05:56 AM
I have the same set up as you and went with the stage 1 and it will make more power from off idle to redline. Power peaks at around 6300 rpm. If you were to move to a stage 2 considering that it has about 10 degrees more duration it should move peak power up about 1000 rpm to roughly 7300. You will loose very little bottom end moving to the stage 2, these are not wild cams. I will be moving to the stage 2 cam soon because i want a little more top end. With either cam you will notice a big difference over stock.

F-16Guy
11-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Both cams have more lift and duration than the stocker, so they will both provide more mid and top end. The stage 2 has more duration which gives the piston less time to build compression, which is why most people add a high compression ratio piston with it. With the piston, you'll offset any bottom end loss and see gains across the board. If you run in the woods or tight trails, the stage 1 has less duration than the 2 and will minimize bottom end loss and give a little more grunt in the lower RPMs. Either cam is fine, though, since the 400ex has a ton of torque in the first place.

Hondamaster5505
11-24-2007, 01:31 PM
I WANT TOP END!

So with the stage 2, ill gain alot of mid-top?

I dont give 2 Sh*ts about bottom end. When riding, even over slow rock areas, i can keep it in power, but the comp piston will add power, even though its down low i dont care, more power is more power.
lol.

And stock the peak power is like at 7500, so how can it make peak at 6300 with stage 1 and 7300 with stage 2, that makes no sense

Mainly, my point is, it has enough bottom end, i wanna make it have a kick-as* top mid-top, where i am most of the time.

Right now with my pipe, im making most at midrange, and the hotcam stg2 improves mid-top, hence the reason i want that and a compression piston

drew416ex
11-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Well basically, the more duration a cam has, the more of a top end cam it is.

j450rking
11-24-2007, 11:19 PM
well if you are that nut's for top end then go with the stage 2 it will work fine no matter what others say. btw if you want that much top then you might as well jump to a 17 tooth front sprocket! jk lol

11-24-2007, 11:36 PM
i take it you must only drag or something? to have a quick atv all around you need a range of power not just in 1 area like a banshee. my cousins just spent $600 on his banshee to just make it spin the tires 24/7. he got pissed cause my stock heavy 400ex only lost by 1/2 a length lol my point is the banshees powerband is all top end. but in your case the piston will give you that all around

stumpy
11-25-2007, 01:38 AM
The stage 2 is actually designed for larger bore engines such as 425, 426, 440 etc. The longer duration helps move the additional air that these engines pull in. The higher compression will help with bottom but mainly helps with REV!!. The stage 1 will balance the intake-compression-exhaust better with a stock bore engine. Hope this helps.

Hondamaster5505
11-25-2007, 06:19 AM
No, i dont drag race (unless its against my friend occaisionally)

im just your average trail rider, and i also mainly ride at coalmines with lots of wide open territory

The majority of the time, i NEVER hit bottom end, lol.

I just want a really strong pull from mid-top, because i love riding my dads banshee, and i learned how to ride without bottom end on that, haha

I know it wont be close to a banshee, but i want it strong.

I wish i could have bottom end with it too, but thats what im hoping the compression piston will do.

So:
DMC Pipe+Hotcam stg2=mid-top end
compression piston=low-mid range

So hopefully itll have a kick off the start, pull super strong through mid, and have some pucnh on top, i hope.

Hondamaster5505
11-25-2007, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
i take it you must only drag or something? to have a quick atv all around you need a range of power not just in 1 area like a banshee. my cousins just spent $600 on his banshee to just make it spin the tires 24/7. he got pissed cause my stock heavy 400ex only lost by 1/2 a length lol my point is the banshees powerband is all top end. but in your case the piston will give you that all around

haha, dont know whats done to his banshee, but my dad has basic mods abd hes pushing 55hp

We dragged and i lost by a lot!
(pretty much equal riders, hes a little better than me)

He dragged his friends tfz, 45hp
Once again equal riders banshee smoked him

So yeah, they only have top end, but even though they spin, they're still fast as hell