PDA

View Full Version : Silencer??

Cr85rRida
11-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Im trying to take out the packing in my ESR silencer but i cant figure out where to start........ I took it off the R, now its sitting on my desk.

theres 3 holes by the end where the exhaust comes out and 3 in the back where it connects the pipe. They dont lool like screws tho and theres oil in the the holes

any ideas??

300exOH
11-21-2007, 11:08 AM
They are most likely rivets. You need to drill them out before repacking.

Cr85rRida
11-21-2007, 11:10 AM
drill them out? will they be able to be re-used?

416exfreak
11-21-2007, 11:30 AM
No, but go buy a rivet gun and some rivets. Repack the silencer, and then pop the rivets back in. Its not a difficult process...;)

300exOH
11-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Cr85rRida
drill them out? will they be able to be re-used?

No they can't be reused. You'll need new ones. You can get them at any hardware store. You can take a larger size drill bit and slowly drill through just the head of the rivet..but be careful not to go too deep and drill all the way through. You just want to drill deep enough to separate the head of the rivet from the shaft. (see drawing) You'll just need to get the same size rivets to replace the old.

Cr85rRida
11-21-2007, 11:37 AM
okay so i wanna drill the rivet just enough to seperate the head of the rivet, how do i know when this is accomplished and not go to deep?

also once i do this how do i get the shaft part out?

416exfreak
11-21-2007, 11:42 AM
It will slide out.

You just drill them all down about an 8th of an inch, then test it. Pull on the end, if it comes out, your deep enough, if it doesnt, then your not.

Just drill until it feels loose. If you dont feel confident, then im sure you can take the silencer up to a local shop and theyll do it in 15 minutes.

300exOH
11-21-2007, 11:44 AM
okay so i wanna drill the rivet just enough to seperate the head of the rivet, how do i know when this is accomplished and not go to deep?

also once i do this how do i get the shaft part out?

You just want to go very slow and watch for the head of the rivet to loosen up. I usually stop once or twice when I'm getting close. It doesn't take much since the rivets are soft aluminum. When you have gone deep enough you will start to see the round shaft part around the hole in the center of the rivet. I usually use a 1/2" drill bit. The rest of the rivet will basically fall through once you have drilled the head enough. You might have to push it through with a punch or small screwdriver.

Cr85rRida
11-21-2007, 12:17 PM
okay, im gunna look at other parts of the bie to see if the problem is coming from there first before i go and drill this out. Thanks for the help.

Flyin-Low
11-21-2007, 04:13 PM
What problem with the bike are you having that made you think it was the muffler packing? :confused:

-Martin

my88r
11-21-2007, 04:39 PM
okay, im gunna look at other parts of the bie to see if the problem is coming from there first before i go and drill this out. Thanks for the help.

you can drill the rivets out and put metal screws in. that way you dont half to keep drilling rivets. each time you repack. .then buy some fmf 2 stroke packing. you can get that at most shops.