PDA

View Full Version : Kick start dilema

mecheech
11-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Okay so I go to change out the roller weights, should be ez right, well I do remember Mom telling me we have Polish roots.

Anyway when I go to put the whole clutch cover back on I notice the kick starter and variator castle nut slots are not lining up and while trying to move them I unsprung the whole kick start assembly.

So I left out the whole assembly and put a bolt thru a rubber washer and steel washer setup on each side of the case. Does the kick start assembley hold any other parts in place? I am hoping I will be ok for racing(indoor MX) at least this weekend till I can get some time to put it all back together.

Also when I put it back together I see the post to catch the spring on the case and guess that the other end slips into the closest of the two hole in the large part after U give it about a 1/4 turn. On the little gear part there is a wire loop does that point up in the case or down?

Any help is greatly appreciated, just trying to make it to the race this weekend with an already too busy schedule with work and Thanksgiving.

humboldt hills
11-21-2007, 04:53 AM
Okay,
Take it back apart and make sure you have the rollers seated in the propper slots. You have to hold the assembly together to be sure the weights do not fall out of the slots while you are reassembling.
The wire loop is what resets the kicker to its normal postion.
It will spring out when the kicker is down. I would guess you pushed down on the kicker while the clutch cover was off and it all flew out.
It is kinda hard to explain everything without getting too confusing. I would just take it apart and look over everything and try to figure out how to put back the way it was. The bolt thru washer sounds like a real bad idea.
Good luck

JIM GRACE
11-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Been there twice before and both time's brought it to a professional to re-install.. Good Luck

We have raced without the kicker installed in which you
are better off taping the hole closed so nothing get's inside
the case as opposed to having any metal sticking into the case..

Brandons dad #55

markvette
11-21-2007, 12:21 PM
the kicker post that the kicker goes on should have a snap ring on it to keep it from popping out of the cover. check the post and see if it has a groove in it for the snap ring. they can be put back together but it is a real pain and would be hard to explain here, before you put it back together clean everything up real good. dirt will get in the assembly and the kicker wont come back up when kicked down.

Mark

mecheech
01-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Well I finally got around to fixing the kick start, my little band aid worked though. It was an allen head bolt inside the case with a flat washer also inside. Outside the case I placed a rubber washer and another flat washer and a locking nut. Tightened it on up and put a paint line to make sure it stayed tight.

Anyway for the fix of the kick starter I found a picture on Gary's website http://yhst-17379619078614.stores.yahoo.net/topend.html Service manual (generic) then go to page 73.

Everyone had told me how hard it was and it usually took two people. But if U get a set of needle nose channel locks, hook the spring to the post, then push the turned up part of the spring counter clockwise with thumb as far as U can, I got it to about the 4 o'clock position. Then take the channel locks and clamp down on the top 3-4 layers of spring at the 12 o'clock position and use the channel locks to rotate the spring the rest of the way needed. Drop the shaft assembly in and slide the sleeve on from the outside of case. Then a little counter clockwise pressure on the assembly and slide on the small gear with stop. It turned out pretty ez for me after all said and done.
Hope this NOOBIE was able to help some of U out.