PDA

View Full Version : Time to change the gearing. Thoughts?

Backstabber
11-20-2007, 09:58 PM
I've been trail riding with those ******* top end beast raptors. Both my friends have gone up a tooth on thier raptors and both have high compression motors with st. 1 hotcams. My 400ex has the same motor set up but with stock sprockets(15/38 or 2.53 ratio). I bought a 16 tooth front and 36 tooth rear(2.25 ratio). I should have lots more top end. I was wondering your guys thoughts on what i'm doing. Right now my first gear is kinda useless but at the same time i'm hoping i have the power to turn all this gear. What are your guys thoughts on my choices here? Am I nuts? Do you think it'll work? Or do you want my to post back in a couple weeks and let you know how it works out?:devil:

oleboy87
11-20-2007, 10:49 PM
dang to me that sounds like its going to be too much... i would think just going up one in the front would have been better but het jsut let us know...

Big - D Racing
11-20-2007, 11:19 PM
that set up works really well with a built motor running 18" rear mx tires. I know when Doug Eichner was racing a 440 he had that gearing for his MX bike and was winning dan near every race, keep in mind this is before the 450's were out. Trail riding though and a rather stock motor your bike will accelerate super slow. With 20" tires on the stock motor the absolute least I would run is the stock 15 with a 36 in back. Why do you want so much top end, are you guys riding above 70 mph most of the time? Cause if not you are going to accelerate slower. Me personally on my heavily built 440 I run 15-37 for all around riding with 20" tires in the trails. 15-36 on the mx track with 18" tires, and 14-36 on 20" tires in the dunes. My gearing is all over the place depending on where I am riding. And keep in mind my motor is built to the max a 440 can be pumping out hp in the mid to upper 40's. Stock hp I believe is 28hp with a full pipe kit and jet stocks are anywhere from 30 to 32 depending on which system. The 2 best pipes on a stock bike that I have seen dyno's for are teh sparks x-6 which was 32 even and the duncan system falling .1hp behind sparks at 31.9. Those numbers aren't enough to run 20" tires with 16-36 gearing. Looking at your mods I'd estimate you around 34-35 hp. You can try it, can't hurt anything. I still say 15-36 would be as low as I would go.