PDA

View Full Version : Smoke out the exaust after engine is off

Cr85rRida
11-20-2007, 04:48 PM
I was riding around the block and when i was done i notice that smoke was coming out of the silencer, it wasent the regular smoke either it was this white smoke.

i havent changed the oil in a while you think this could be it?

my88r
11-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Cr85rRida
I was riding around the block and when i was done i notice that smoke was coming out of the silencer, it wasent the regular smoke either it was this white smoke.

i havent changed the oil in a while you think this could be it?

your packing probably had a lot of oil on it. when you where riding it around the block. it just burned off. get some new packing and you should be fine.

kawiefan
11-20-2007, 06:10 PM
dont forget to change the oil too

D Bergstrom
11-20-2007, 10:11 PM
My guess is a leaky head gasket. The white smoke is coolant burning in the cylinder. I had about 6 rides on my 250R after I bought it (Had a CT 350 kit on it.) and it became more and more difficult to start the more I rode it. Went out to the dunes and after a good long ride I stopped and noticed white smoke coming out the exhaust. I got it home and the inner o-ring on the head was partly burned through, letting coolant into the cylinder. Other then hard starting, it still ran great. First thing I would do is check your head gasket.

Doug

86 Quad R
11-20-2007, 11:15 PM
he stated that the smoking was taking place after shutting off the engine....

as mentioned your packing may be saturated with oil and was letting off smoke when heated up. another possibility is that the perferated pipe in the silencer has disloged and causing a partial blockage. this will cause the silencer to get tremendously hot. in some cases will actually start to catch fire and smolder. i would consider pulling the silencer apart and inspect it.

D Bergstrom
11-20-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
he stated that the smoking was taking place after shutting off the engine....

Correct, that is when mine would smoke, after I shut the engine off. The cylinder was hot and the coolant would drip into the cylinder, burn off and would then go out the exhaust. (Mine was leaking bad. 20 minute ride and the radiator would be down about 3/4". An easy way to check would be if you are losing coolant. Also, smoke from burning oil is usually blue in color. Of course, if your packing is burning up, that could be white! When was the last time the silencer was repacked?

Doug

Aceman
11-21-2007, 07:36 AM
Usually they smoke the most when first started after the coolant has had a chance to seep into the cylinder for a while.

Fordtrax
11-21-2007, 08:55 AM
When i first rode my 88 and after really gettin into it hard it would smoke pretty bad and when i shut it off it still had smoke coming out of the silencer.

But i just figured the last owner prbably ran gas station 2 stroke mix and mixed it too rich and that coupled with the possibility the guy was prolly a wuss and never really opened it up much! lol Leaving my silencer packing soaked with unburnt residue.

The tank only had like a half gallon of gas in it when i got it so i just filled up with 93 octane and some good ole Golden Spectro and boy as the day went along you could tell when the new gas kicked in !!! And the smoke went away tooo!

I will say that now that someone has mentioned it possibly being a cylinder head gasket being burned im gonna check it out because before i even rode the bike i checked all the fluids and my radiator was a little low but not much so i topped it off.

Oh yeah trying to remove the cap and view the top of the radiator is a real pain with the plastics on too!!

Cr85rRida
11-21-2007, 10:36 AM
thanks for all the replies!

The silencer was bought new last summer (2006) i dont ride heavy with it at all but i do ride it the most. Its an ESR if that makes a diffrence, so where can i get packing for it?

As far as the coolent issue, my water pump used to drip a little but that stopped. To check the head gasket am i going to h ave to pull off the top part of the cylinder where the studs are? Also am i going to need a new gasket anyway if i pull it off since i run the risk of crackin/ripping the gasket on there?

Im gunna go about checking out the silencer now.....in the mean time what oil for the transmission should i be using and how much do i put in? thanks guys.

Fordtrax
11-21-2007, 11:07 AM
I would check to make sure your actually losing fluid first .

Yes it is the top cap part of your engine and if you are gonna pull it off be prepared to have a new gasket handy because you are more than likely gonna destroy it getting the cap off.
I have been able to reuse the old gasket with lots of gasket sealer in the past! But that is not very advisable as I only did it because it was sunday and no shops were open and i wanted to go riding Bad!!!lol

As fas as the silencer packing if its only a year old and you dont ride it very hard id say its still good! But that just a guess?
Whenever ive repacked mine i try to get some from a cycle shop and its usually FMF fiberglass packing.(dont think it makes a difference?)
I install residential doors and windows for a living and have used the fiberglass insulation i pack my doors and windows with to pack my silencer too! And it worked good tooo!

As far as oil ? I run the Honda HP Racing transmission oil formulated specifically for the The Honda Cr and Fourtrax 250R's.
Its red in color just like my Honda !lol
As far as how much?
There is a 10mm bolt just to the rear of your waterpump that says oil check above it. Remove this bolt and fill your crank case until oil starts pouring out the hole and then put the bolt back in and your done !! Sounds too easy doesnt it ?lol

Aceman
11-21-2007, 07:52 PM
what oil for the transmission should i be using and how much do i put in? thanks guys.

That question right there tells me you desperately need a manual. No offense, but if you don't know enough to fill it to the check bolt, you shouldn't be working on it. At all. Get a manual, ask your questions on here if you don't understand something, but this forum shouldn't be used as a substitute for a manual, more like a supplement to it.

my88r
11-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
That question right there tells me you desperately need a manual. No offense, but if you don't know enough to fill it to the check bolt, you shouldn't be working on it. At all. Get a manual, ask your questions on here if you don't understand something, but this forum shouldn't be used as a substitute for a manual, more like a supplement to it.

yea time to have someone that knows what there doing work on it. a manuel is the best expense you can spend. i own 2 clymer and a honda service.

Cr85rRida
11-21-2007, 08:08 PM
:rolleyes:
non-taken

i have the service manual. And instead of fussing through it for something so simple i figure i would throw it out there.I know you have heard the phrase"Dont judge a book by its cover", im just looking for some quick answers.

Aceman
11-21-2007, 08:14 PM
:rolleyes:
non-taken

i have the service manual. And instead of fussing through it for something so simple i figure i would throw it out there.I know you have heard the phrase"Dont judge a book by its cover", im just looking for some quick answers.

BS! You're being lazy!

If you can't find the maintenance section to find the oil fill directions you must be one of those "my 2nd language is English" citizens.:rolleyes:

Cr85rRida
11-21-2007, 09:15 PM
yeah thats it! you got it!

on a more serious note, no , my 1st language IS English.

Anyway, lazy?? maybe....but not lazy enough to let the problem go by un-noticed and not taken care of:D

86 Quad R
11-26-2007, 06:26 AM
interesting............. time that it took to log onto the puter and type that question he could have already had the answer found in the manual. :blah:

Cr85rRida
11-26-2007, 02:05 PM
interesting............. time that it took to log onto the puter and type that question he could have already had the answer found in the manual. :blah:

:D

my88r
11-26-2007, 02:10 PM

EXACTLY:devil: