PDA

View Full Version : Advice?

skawful
11-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Hello to all =]

I have been browsing the local listings for a used quad... I'm looking for something from $2500-3000

What's peaked my interest:
2001-2004 Yamaha 660R
~1989 250R
450R (a bit over my price range)
and anything in the 400cc+ range

A little about me:
Been riding snowmobiles all my life, but it never seems to snow anymore... plus I live in Phoenix (hahah)... I want to ride and learn about quads... but I need one first.

Recently I've ridden some 450r's a bit, and they seem like a blast... pretty well suited for a larger guy like myself

Any ideas on a good bike for me?
-I want to work on it myself
-I want it to work most of the time
-I will spend more if it is worth it..

Thanks!!

416exfreak
11-20-2007, 04:26 PM
It all depends.

Raptors are known to be topheavy and tippy.

Good luck finding a 250r thats in good condition and doesnt need an overhaul.

450r's are good quads. Ive ridden several of them myself. Lots of power and very comfortable.

Really, you shouldnt waste your money in the 400cc range. None of them will ever be able to make the power that a 450 can.

When you do buy a quad, if at akll possible, get one with wider A-arms and aftermarket shocks. The engine stuff can come later. A quad is only as fast as the suspension will allow.

skawful
11-20-2007, 05:06 PM
If I understand, I pretty much agree with you... good to know that the 250-400cc range is not enough power..

Would it be possible to counter the 660's tippyness with suspension modifications or is it just a center of gravity problem?

I think I'm leaning towards the 660, unless someone can convince me otherwise...

Raptor68
11-20-2007, 05:09 PM
A lot of people say the 660 Raptors are tippy. I bought my '03 Raptor new in 2002 and really like it. I never noticed it being THAT bad and they have a ton of power. Plus you can pick one up for a decent price and there is a good assortment of aftermarket parts out there for them. I widened mine which helped it perform better, but I think that they are still an excellent quad in stock form.

My gf has an '05 Honda 450R and I like it a lot as well, but you need to really rev it out and ride it hard. You can't just cruise around on it like you can my Raptor.

I'd look into a 400EX. Awesome aftermarket, plenty of used ones out there, bulletproof engine.

416exfreak
11-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by skawful
If I understand, I pretty much agree with you... good to know that the 250-400cc range is not enough power..

Would it be possible to counter the 660's tippyness with suspension modifications or is it just a center of gravity problem?

I think I'm leaning towards the 660, unless someone can convince me otherwise...

You can diffinately counter it. A nice set of Long Travel A-arms with some Works/Axis/Elka/PEP/ Motowoz shocks and a good RPM or LSR axle would cure that problem.

Raptor68
11-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Here is my setup...Houser LT a-arms, Elka shocks, and a Lonestar axle...handles awesome!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i251/stephen7878/Raptor006.jpg

ZeroLogic
11-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Well, what kind of riding are you going to do? Whats your price range? Height? Weight? What kind of rider are you? Agressive? What are your plans in the future with quads?

These will help us.:macho

416exfreak
11-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Raptor68
Here is my setup...Houser LT a-arms, Elka shocks, and a Lonestar axle...handles awesome!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i251/stephen7878/Raptor006.jpg

ZOMGWTFBBQ!!!!!

that quad is of teh sexxx.:eek2:

skawful
11-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the responses, they are helping =]

I'm 20ys'o 6'2 275lbs so i'm guessing i cant get anything to small - heh... the 450r suits me pretty well, but it seems to not like low revs... I think i'm going to be doing mostly trails, but there are a lot of dunes around here so... not sure

I think the Raptor is for me... i've found 3 or 4 around here that are around $2800... Anything I should look for when checking them out?

Raptor68: how much did that suspension cost??

THANKS again

xtullyx16
11-20-2007, 08:26 PM
the raptor and 450 in stock form will have enough power for u in the dunes.. but the raptor is a better trail bike because it has more power all over the power band especially lower end!

the 400ex will need sum engine mods most likely to make u happy in the dunes but is great in the trails but doesnt have reverse!

the 250r is a two stroke.. totally diff. legendary quad.. has great potential.. but im not sure if u can find one in good shape.. and i also dont know how much power it has stock.. but ik it can be a great machine with sum engine mods and suspenion mods! lol hope i helped

Raptor68
11-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Well I purchased the a-arms, shocks, and Galfer Wave Brake rotors from a member on here. Everything was still brand new and I got it all for $1600...I think some other stuff was included as well.

You can find some pretty good deals on eBay and in the for sale section on here.

Old Dirtbiker
11-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Don't give up on the 400 so easy. Like the guy above stated, reliable engines with room for aftermarket cams & larger pistons.
They are great for trails and front sprockets can be swapped out for dune riding in seconds.

The reverse came out in 05 so you should be able to find one in your price range. Educate yourself before deciding.

What I've found is that the 450's like to be wound out.
If thats not your riding style then you might want to look
at the other two options though all three are more fun
than a snowmobile, esp. in AZ.

firefighterjosh
11-21-2007, 04:27 AM
buy 1 of mine :)

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=322246

quad2xtreme
11-21-2007, 05:44 AM
I had a 2001 Raptor...had many minor problems but not the typical tranny problem.

On a fun factor scale, it was the most fun I ever had on the trails. The 400ex has been way more reliable but it doesn't provide the same fun factor. Forget it when it comes to hillclimbing. A Raptor will walk all over a 400ex. You just can't beat the torque. I imagine the same would be true in the sand. I can't even imagine running a 400ex in power robbing sand.

I put aftermarket shocks on mine and never felt the tippy factor.

If I lived near the desert, I would definitely consider a Raptor.

skawful
11-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks for your guy's advice... It helped me to decide on my purchase:

A red/white 2002 Yamaha 686R (o/b to 686)

It runs great and everything works... I paid $2200. So I think I got a good deal... Clean title and everything.

I'm thinking of getting it tuned up and checked out before I put her out on the dunes / trails...

As I am completely new to ATVs - what should I have the mechanic check out?

Looks like the battery died on me at least... the starter wont turn at all, but the lights work fine... It ran great the day before though, started right up. Is there a way to tell if its the starter or just the battery?

Also the guy said its really easy to flood... Is that because of the manual choke? The 450's i've used had an on off choke, this seems to have a slider from off to full...?

Any advice and or tips about the raptor would be awesome... Thanks again

quad2xtreme
11-29-2007, 01:05 PM
You can put a set of jumper cables on it from your truck to see if it turns over. If so, then it is your battery.

If you hear the starter spinning quickly but the engine isn't turning over, then it is your one-way bearing. Go aftermarket for it.

You other option is to hook up a battery or trickle charger. Give it the appropriate amount of time to recharge the battery...but not so long with a battery charger that you fry the battery.

/Jon

skawful
11-29-2007, 01:24 PM
This forum is great,

thanks again john for the info...

Ghost-Rider
11-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Raptor.

dirtbike&quad
11-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
Raptor.