PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoat frame christmas gift

sonof_perdition
11-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Hey everybody. I did a couple of searches and found only a bit of info. So, I have an '06 400ex that is mostly stock. I am thinking of tearing it down to powdercoat the frame and hubs candy apple red. I am mechanically inclined but have little experience with quads. So my questions are; How easy/ difficult would this project be? Is it, or would it be worth it? If you have done it before, would you do it again? What, if any parts would I need to replace when I rebuild (ie damaged)? Is there anything special I should know? Thanks for taking time to answer my questions.

250x_kyle
11-20-2007, 06:18 PM
tare down is easy. u might run into a frozen swingarm bolt if u do this could be a pain. but when u tare down make sure every bolt and bearing is removed. make sure u ask the coater if they cap and plug the holes. when you get it back from coating replace all the bearing your removed. make sure the stem bearing in the frame is removed. its not hard. just take ur time label bags with bolts so u know whats what.

sonof_perdition
11-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Im itchn real bad to do it. I was lookin in BK Performance at Pappy's threads... He does great looking work

shadowwalker
11-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by sonof_perdition
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Im itchn real bad to do it. I was lookin in BK Performance at Pappy's threads... He does great looking work

I have a hobby powder gun to do a few small parts, but I will never be able to do a frame due to my oven I am using being to small. Right now I have a large toaster oven for things like levers and hubs. I plan on getting a regular sized electric oven, but I will most likely send the frame off to Pappy to have that done when I settle on a color scheme. He always answers questions whether its from some one like me who does their own, or people asking him about his work. Plus, he supports this board, which is always a plus. I've never heard of anyone unhappy with his work.