PDA

View Full Version : opinions on 14 tooth sprockets

crazyfireman
11-01-2001, 05:47 PM
i am looking for a little more power, and was told that i could modify my airbox, does anyone know how this is done? i rode with my lid off, and it didnt seem to run as good. also i was told that putting a 14 tooth sprocket on would make me lose top end. is this true? and would i be able to tell the difference? thanks, danny

400exRacerX
11-01-2001, 07:07 PM
by removing the lid it does add power, But i wouldnt run open lid that is taking risks of getting alot of dust in your airbox and possibly pass through the filter causing engine damage. i would either drill holes in your stock lid and use the uni air box plugs, or just drill holes and leave them open, or you can do what i do and get a outerwears airbox lid and run that. As far as the 14 tooth counter shaft sprocket goes, yes you will lose top end because you are changing the gearing of it, it is a nice low end gain if you are running stock tire size, but if you get down into the 18inch rear tires it is pointless to have. when i throw my tamers on for mx i need to change the sprocket and throw the 15t back on because when you run small rear tires and a 14t sprocket you will have no first gear. but yes if you have 20 inch rear tires i reccomend the sprocket it is a cheap mod that gives alot, plus the fact that i am never in 5th gear.

Heres the review on the sprocket you should find alot of usefull info there, http://www.exriders.com/reviews/14tooth.shtml

crazyfireman
11-01-2001, 07:41 PM
i have itp holeshots on it now and they are quite a bit taller than the stockones, i am unsure what size they are i will check tomorrow when i get home, i am going to try the 14 tooth its cheap enough. also how does the outerwear lid cover work? do you remove the lid and just use the prefilter? or do you cut the top off and then use the outerwear? thanks, danny

400exRacerX
11-01-2001, 08:35 PM
The outerwear lid has nothing to do with the stock lid, you remove the stock lid and the outerwear lid works with velcro.

liltazz
11-01-2001, 09:11 PM
remember you only gain power if you rejet

crazyfireman
11-01-2001, 10:52 PM
it has already been rejetted to match the exhaust pipe, would i need to rejet again to match the airbox mods?thanks, danny

11-02-2001, 12:46 AM
yes sir.

crazyfireman
11-02-2001, 07:35 AM
my itp holeshots are 20/11/9 they are quite a bit taller than the stock 20/10/9.

barbwire44
11-02-2001, 07:59 AM
20/11/9 the 11 is the width my friend youre tires are the same height as stock and shouldnt affect youre power or gearing.:devil

crazyfireman
11-02-2001, 11:12 AM
that may be true however they measure 2 inches taller! and my stock tires are almost new so its not due to wear. different manufacturers i guess but the tape measure read 2 inches taller.

11-02-2001, 11:52 AM
Sound like ya got 22 inchers,,which ITP makes,,and you will without a doubt have to rejet your carb if you modify the airbox or take off the lid.