PDA

View Full Version : Pro Armor tether switch

97WarriorRider
11-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Hey guys awhile back i bought the pro aromor kill switch for my 400ex. I still havent hooked it up cause i keep forgetting about it..but i will be racing this quad for the first time pretty soon and need to get it put on. so this morning i was looking at it and i know the one wire needs to ground some where but where does the other wire get spliced into? Thanks

97WarriorRider
11-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Anybody that might have some pics...Help would be greatly appriciated

Ruby Soho
11-19-2007, 04:17 PM
just ground the one wire, and the other one put into the live wire in the coil i believe its real easy

11-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Rig the switch up across the two wires coming from your crank sensor to your CDI/ECU. This interrupts the signal and stalls it when the tether is pulled out. That's how I rigged up mine and it works perfectly everytime - instantly.

JOEX
11-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Pic of the coil location...

97WarriorRider
11-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by JOEX

So is that were you put the other wire?

JOEX
11-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by 97WarriorRider
So is that were you put the other wire?
I have a Pro Design tether switch and one wire went to the coil in the pic (black wire with yellow connector). Ther other went to a ground. I'm assuming the Pro Armor is the same...

97WarriorRider
11-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Anybody with the proarmor that can say this is how you do it?

SG1
11-20-2007, 11:38 AM
I have a Pro Armor Kill switch and could not figure out where to put the long wire until I found this web page and it was so easy and works great now. Do what this page says and it should work great.

http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=192238

97WarriorRider
11-20-2007, 12:40 PM
thanks alot SG1

JOEX
11-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by SG1
I have a Pro Armor Kill switch and could not figure out where to put the long wire until I found this web page and it was so easy and works great now. Do what this page says and it should work great.

http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=192238
I've never liked those kind of connectors. I suppose they may work fine but when exposed to the harshness of some atv riding i'd question the long term reliability.

97WarriorRider
11-20-2007, 08:06 PM
I looked at that link and i guess i still dont under stand it..I know how to ground it..but how to connect it the the black and yellow wire is what i dont understand..there pictures werent big enough

JOEX
11-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by 97WarriorRider
I looked at that link and i guess i still dont under stand it..I know how to ground it..but how to connect it the the black and yellow wire is what i dont understand..there pictures werent big enough
If you connect it like mine you should be fine and you wont have to tap into the stock wiring.

97WarriorRider
11-20-2007, 08:27 PM
That what im gunna try..looks super easy the way you did it

97WarriorRider
12-25-2007, 12:40 PM
ok guys I hooked the kill switch up last week and today i got my new battery so i got to test to see if it worked..I hooked it up JOEX did and it didnt work so i figured I would switch the wire i had ground to the coil and the on on the coil to the ground and it still doesnt work??What should i do now..I really dont wanna have to splice into the harness.

440challenger
12-26-2007, 06:50 AM
97warrior:

On the killswitch itself, The shorter of the two wires on the kill switch is your ground.

If you hook the wires opposite, it will still work but theres a good chance you will get shocked when you touch the bars,etc.

Now you can ground the shorter wire and then attach the longer wire to the POSITIVE side of the coil. Maybe you have it reversed?

If its not working for you, find your cdi box and track down the black wire with yellow stripe, and put your KS wire into there.

Hope this helps!

97WarriorRider
12-26-2007, 07:38 AM
yeah thats how i had it and it didnt work so i switched the wires and it still didnt work...ill mess with it later...

Ryan'07400ex
09-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Why is mine not working do you think?

I got it to the front side of the coil and grounded right above the shock like in joex's pictures.

Maybe this is only for a pro design and not pro armor

Ryan'07400ex
09-16-2009, 05:58 PM
closer up

honda400ex2003
09-16-2009, 06:04 PM
one way you can test to see if it is normally closed instead of open is to disconnect the black w. yellow stripe right before the coil and put it in line with the coil using both ends of the switch. if it runs with it connected and the part pulled with the tether connected it is closed normally, if it runs with the tether off it is a normally open. this will determine how it is hooked up. normally open can ground to the frame, normally closed cant. i hope i did not confuse you but it is a way to check the switch too. if it runs both ways then something is wrong with it. steve

honda400ex2003
09-16-2009, 06:07 PM
also it may be too late to connect it there since the power will still go through the coil since it is touching everything instead of being before the coil to reroute the power and cut the motor. just an idea though i am not sure if it makes a difference or not. steve

Ryan'07400ex
09-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
also it may be too late to connect it there since the power will still go through the coil since it is touching everything instead of being before the coil to reroute the power and cut the motor. just an idea though i am not sure if it makes a difference or not. steve

Yea you confused me but I was just doing what the mod said, then I saw a post from 04 and he didn't say anything about doing it that way so idk.

I may just end up splicing into the wire by the cdi or whatever

Thanks

honda400ex2003
09-16-2009, 06:43 PM
sorry bro let me try again anyway

did you get it working first off? if not then you can test it to make sure it works by using the stuff above. disconnect the black w/ yellow stripe and plug the switch into each end of the wire. this way it is in line with the system. plug the tether in to where it should be. this will either make it run or not run. pull it off this will do the opposite of the first one. if it runs with it on then it is normally closed. this means that electricity goes through it to make it run. if it doesnt run with it connected then it is normally open. you have it hooked right by grounding it if this is the case(doesnt run with it connected). if it does it has to be wired in line so electricity is going through it all the time. I wish i could remember if it is a normally open or normally closed. I think it is normally open though so you should have it hooked up right anyway lol. i hope it cleared it up for you anyway even if you have it working already. steve

rob_990
09-16-2009, 07:06 PM
did u sand it to bare metal for the connections

Gibson
09-16-2009, 08:02 PM
i've never seen a tether hooked up like that:confused:

i hooked mine up to the kill switch on the bars. i took the black wire with the grey tracer and spliced it into the live wire on the tether. then i ran my ground to a bolt on my clutch perch. You can still do this if you have your stock light switch/start button, but the red kill switch won't work. Even though mine is a pro design, it should work with the pro armor

09-16-2009, 09:47 PM
I tapped mine right into the factory kill wire and ground. So no wires bolted to the frame or anything like that it looks like it was meant to be and factory but says Pro Armor.

dankbud42o
09-16-2009, 11:39 PM
d00d, i tried the coil way and its a no go with mine either. so i tapped into the harness right before the plug. Black/white stripe and green are what i wired em to. longer one to the black/white...good luck.

Ryan'07400ex
09-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by JOEX

This is where I saw it and was like wow that looks to easy... I guess it only works for him?

The "insturctions" i got with it just said in between the stator and ignition coil. I tried the bolt on the other side and it didn't work either

I think i'm just gonna put it into the wire on cdi. Its the black with yellow stripe right? In the four or two section?

honda400ex2003
09-17-2009, 03:29 PM
ok, right before the coil there is a black cover looking thing with a bunch of wires in it. they all have quick connects. 1. find the black with a yellow stripe wire that comes from the coil. 2. disconnect it. 3. pull the boot back and push the long one in the boot with the plug. 4. wrap wire into plug so it touches good. 5. plug it back in. 6. ground out the short one to the bars or where ever you want. 7. mount to bars where you please. you have to add some wire to the switch to make it all the way to the coil for the long one. this requires no cutting or anything to the wiring harness. people who cut into wiring are retarded as far as i am concerned. if you take some time and do it right it is a 20 minute procedure. it is as easy as these 7 steps. then if you want to take it off it is very simple to do. steve

honda400ex2003
09-17-2009, 03:51 PM
the yellow circle shows where it is, you can see the rubber disconnect there by the end of the arrow. that is the one to disconnect. steve

Ryan'07400ex
09-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
ok, right before the coil there is a black cover looking thing with a bunch of wires in it. they all have quick connects. 1. find the black with a yellow stripe wire that comes from the coil. 2. disconnect it. 3. pull the boot back and push the long one in the boot with the plug. 4. wrap wire into plug so it touches good. 5. plug it back in. 6. ground out the short one to the bars or where ever you want. 7. mount to bars where you please. you have to add some wire to the switch to make it all the way to the coil for the long one. this requires no cutting or anything to the wiring harness. people who cut into wiring are retarded as far as i am concerned. if you take some time and do it right it is a 20 minute procedure. it is as easy as these 7 steps. then if you want to take it off it is very simple to do. steve

Thanks a ton Steve! It worked perfectly, only thing better would be a how to with pics.
I'd say this is the best way easy to take off and you could put it on another bike if you wanted alot easier.
Now if I could just find a good place for my fan toggle :blah:

honda400ex2003
09-17-2009, 07:46 PM
i used to have mine mounted up under my stock bar cover. it worked pretty slick. i just used a flat piece of metal and bent it to where i wanted it. you could hardly see the switch in there. glad to hear you finally got it working good!!! it is very easy to do it this way and it can be off as fast as it went on to move from machine to machine if need be. we have a how to with pics now it is just not a good pic. it was just one that i found on here from another sticky at the top for a quick reference. i sold my kill to my neighbor with a 250ex and hooked it up the same way. 15 minutes and done. steve

Ryan'07400ex
09-18-2009, 01:54 PM
yea i saw the new thread you made good idea.

whats funy was I searched those exact words in the title but couldn't find a good enough way until you told me of course ha