PDA

View Full Version : Pace American Explorer toy hauler, looking for opinions

quad2xtreme
11-19-2007, 02:54 PM
I am seriously considering the Pace and wondering if anyone has one that could share his/her experience. Any problems develop with yours? Is it falling apart?

I looked at alot of other toy haulers and didn't like the layouts. Many are "over designed" for sleeping space. I like the Pace because there isn't a "fixed" bedroom space. I like the option of hauling 2 or 4 quads. I am looking at the 8.5' X 24' interior space unit. Most toy haulers seemed to be designed 1st as a camper and 2nd as a hauler. I want a hauler with space for quads & tools and a place to get out of the wind and cold. The Pace has a fixed shower, toilet, sink, stove, and fridge all at the front of the unit.

Also, opinions on split rear doors versus a rear ramp door?

Thanks,

Jon

wvspeedfreak
11-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Jon,we are in the same boat as you.We have looked at every kind of toyhauler design out there and I agree with you 100%,they seem like campers with the the hauler part an afterthought.That is unless you get a huge 5th wheel one that actually has hauler/garage space.
We went to our local Pace dealer and talked over the floor plan options and decided that when we get ours,the 8.5x24 is perfect for us.Alot of cargo area is important to us and we basically just want an area in the front to sleep and get out of the weather if neccesary(I hate tents anymore lol).
I have talked to several people that own these and have gotten all good reports about them.They appear to be a good quality product.I also definately prefer a ramp door.

quad2xtreme
11-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
Jon,we are in the same boat as you.We have looked at every kind of toyhauler design out there and I agree with you 100%,they seem like campers with the the hauler part an afterthought.That is unless you get a huge 5th wheel one that actually has hauler/garage space.
We went to our local Pace dealer and talked over the floor plan options and decided that when we get ours,the 8.5x24 is perfect for us.Alot of cargo area is important to us and we basically just want an area in the front to sleep and get out of the weather if neccesary(I hate tents anymore lol).
I have talked to several people that own these and have gotten all good reports about them.They appear to be a good quality product.I also definately prefer a ramp door.

Austin, thanks for the info. I found a dealer in Raleigh that offers the Explorer 8.5 X24 with all the standard options for $12,800. What kind of pricing are you getting?

For comparison sake, I am looking at an 8.5 X 20' tomorrow that another dealer wants $17,000 for. I am not sure yet how many options it might have though. I will let you know after tomorrow.

/Jon

wvspeedfreak
11-19-2007, 04:25 PM
We priced the 8.5x24 with a partition wall in the center so we would have 12ft of cargo and 12ft of living quarters.I did the checkerboard floor,upgraded interior wall covering,L-base cabinets,110 receptacles,flourecent lights and overhead cabinets in the cargo area.Generator prep package,recessed halogen exterior lights(2),and pretty much the standard living quarters set up,bathroom,shower,stove,fridge,etc..
It was $17,100 just the way I wanted it but the dealer told me that the base and overhead cabinets in the cargo area were like $1450 so I may not go with those.They are really nice aluminum high quality cabinets though.

quad2xtreme
11-21-2007, 05:59 AM
Austin,

I looked at the 20' one yesterday. I liked everything except the bathroom. I am not sure how much I would shower in this anyhow. Trying to figure out if I could modify it to separate the two (if I got the 24').

They offered this one to me for 16K. I have to say it wasn't a bad deal because it has all the options even the ac/dc converter with a battery. It had the awning, screen door, screen windows, rear ramp door, inside and outside electric outlets, outside lighting, rock guard.

I am wondering if it would be easier to move the toilet or the shower. If I moved the shower then I wouldn't want the window and I would want another roof vent? If I moved the toilet, then the window could stay.

Have you considered modifying yours in anyway?

JRP
11-21-2007, 06:45 AM
check out RPM Toy Hauler made my Adventure. We have a 26footer, and it has a seperate garage from the inside. You could fit two quads in it, it would be tight, but its deff possible. Here are some pics....

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/aa.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/aaa.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/a-1.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/aaaa-1.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/Picture001-1.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/Picture002.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/ayo.jpg

wvspeedfreak
11-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Austin,

I looked at the 20' one yesterday. I liked everything except the bathroom. I am not sure how much I would shower in this anyhow. Trying to figure out if I could modify it to separate the two (if I got the 24').

They offered this one to me for 16K. I have to say it wasn't a bad deal because it has all the options even the ac/dc converter with a battery. It had the awning, screen door, screen windows, rear ramp door, inside and outside electric outlets, outside lighting, rock guard.

I am wondering if it would be easier to move the toilet or the shower. If I moved the shower then I wouldn't want the window and I would want another roof vent? If I moved the toilet, then the window could stay.

Have you considered modifying yours in anyway?

Jon,I figured I probably wouldn't use the shower much anyway so we would be pretty satisfied with just having a bathroom in there lol.I haven't actually bought one yet but as soon as I can sell my current enclosed trailer I will be placing my order.It is all in their computer,all I need to do is tell them it is a go :p

Pappy
11-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Jason, desticker it and deliver it ..pick up check.

now order your damn toyhauler will ya:p

quad2xtreme
11-21-2007, 07:36 PM
Which dealer you going through? I might have to check them out. DId they stock any units?

Where do you live in WV? We are heading to Hatfield McCoy tomorrow afternoon. We will ride Pinnacle Creek, Indian Ridge, and Buffalo Mountain. It is about our 9th trip there although we've only been there once in the last 3 years. My wife was in nursing school so it was hard to get away...hence me getting involved in riding the mx tracks.

/Jon

Pappy
11-21-2007, 07:39 PM
and for the record...i cant live without my shower:scary:

JOEX
11-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Niether can anyone around you:blah: :devil: :p

I sure enjoy a shower after a day of being out in the dirt or sand;)

Pappy
11-21-2007, 07:58 PM
i went a little bigger then i needed for this season, but for the 2008 season it will do nicely because i will have to stay 2 to 3 days at the nationals instead of just 1.

Pappy
11-21-2007, 08:00 PM
the interior room is killer with the slide out

wvspeedfreak
11-21-2007, 08:02 PM
i went a little bigger then i needed for this season, but for the 2008 season it will do nicely because i will have to stay 2 to 3 days at the nationals instead of just 1.

What's that little dot under the front of that toyhauler?Oh,I see now..........it's a truck :D

Pappy
11-21-2007, 08:03 PM
the shower of the gods..lol

wvspeedfreak
11-21-2007, 08:04 PM

Since it has one I am sure I'll be glad it's there.It's just that the bathroom is more priority.Those Johnny blues that have sat for a week in the 95 degree sun are not fun :ermm:

wvspeedfreak
11-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Jason, desticker it and deliver it ..pick up check.

now order your damn toyhauler will ya:p

LOL,how long have I talked about getting one of those things :p

Pappy
11-21-2007, 08:14 PM
LOL,how long have I talked about getting one of those things :p

well, im taking away your excuse of selling your trailer...so now you got no choice:p let me know when you wanna bring it up.

JRP
11-21-2007, 08:28 PM
wow pappy, that is a badass hauler! How long is that? And does it have a sperate garage for the quads from the living quarters?

Pappy
11-21-2007, 08:43 PM
37 foot

yep, will hold 2 fullsize quads, a razor or a ranger/rhino etc

quad2xtreme
11-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Jason,

You looking at yours at:

MIKE'S HARLEY DAVIDSON SL - 52.03 mi
US 119 & PREECE BOTTOM RD
DELBARTON, WV
(304)475-0123

Thanks,

Jon

wvspeedfreak
11-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Sorry Jon,I was dealing with Full House Cycles in Winchester Virginia.I am only 30 miles from there.They did not stock any units.They said the estimated build/delivery time was 6-8 weeks.

wvspeedfreak
11-21-2007, 08:59 PM
well, im taking away your excuse of selling your trailer...so now you got no choice:p let me know when you wanna bring it up.

Kenny,I will give you a call this weekend.

JRP
11-21-2007, 09:00 PM
37 foot

yep, will hold 2 fullsize quads, a razor or a ranger/rhino etc

damn, that is awsome. Ours might fit 2 quads, but itd be very tight. If youd ont mind asking, what is the price range you would pay for one of those?

quad2xtreme
11-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Sorry Jon,I was dealing with Full House Cycles in Winchester Virginia.I am only 30 miles from there.They did not stock any units.They said the estimated build/delivery time was 6-8 weeks.

Thanks. I still own 21 acres about 45 minutes from Winchester. It is about 5 miles outside of Augusta, WV on the Romney side.

/Jon

wvspeedfreak
11-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks. I still own 21 acres about 45 minutes from Winchester. It is about 5 miles outside of Augusta, WV on the Romney side.

/Jon

That is almost my neck of the woods.I am in Wardensville.

Pappy
11-21-2007, 09:14 PM

/Jon

any deer on it:macho :devil:

Pappy
11-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by JRP
damn, that is awsome. Ours might fit 2 quads, but itd be very tight. If youd ont mind asking, what is the price range you would pay for one of those?

45 to 50k