PDA

View Full Version : shifter forks??? 2001 raptor 660R? helpppp!!!!!

mh12345
11-19-2007, 02:17 PM
hey i am looking at a 2001 yamaha raptor 660R. the guys says it need shifter forks. what are shofter forks? just wondering how hard it is to fix shifter forks, should i just replace them, drop a whole new tranny? or should i not even buy this quad. also anybody know of any other problems with the 01's or if anyone has parts or a whole quad they want to sell to me?

Flynbryan19
11-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Not worth it. For the cost difference between an 01' and an 02' these days just find a nice used 02'. Fixing it will require updating the tranny to 02' specs anyway.

barry rose
12-11-2007, 04:31 PM
the shifter forks move the gears into place, they are easily damaged if someone speedshifts or if you jam on the shifter while the bike is off and parked ( my daughters did this to mine) this is not an easy or cheap fix. if you are an expert transmission mechanic then it would still be a tough job, but since you ask advise, i can tell you from expierience that a good mechanic will charge $50 per hour at least, this will probably take at least 20 hours and while he is in there you had better replace the gear set and all shift forks and all bearings and seals, you can get these parts from yamaha for approximately $400. you have to remove the engine, then take it completely apart to get to the transmission. this is also a good time to have the mechanic check out all other parts inside the engine that 01' raptors are famous for wearing out. ie. timing chain, bearings valves etc. i am the owner of an 01', and have had every problem associated with one. i would not buy that machine unless it was dirt cheap.