PDA

View Full Version : KFX 400 vs TRX400

TRXRIDER4567
11-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Stock for Stock who would win in a drag TRX 400 or a KFX 400

quad9
11-19-2007, 03:11 PM
if both riders have the same reaction time and same riding skills the kfx will win but not by much.

jonridesz400
11-20-2007, 04:24 PM
my ltz400 03 raced a trx 400 07 both completely stock. and he won by a quad length on a small street... i burnout to much off the start (they had mud in the treads lol)

Hondamaster5505
11-20-2007, 05:58 PM
my honest opinion, if the riders are equal, it would be neck and neck or the kfx would be slightly ahead.

the kfx is a more modern motor.

Between the liquid cooling and dohc that gives it a few extra ponies all by itself.

Engines lose horsepower as they get hotter, so when both are warmed up, the kfx runs cooler.

Even if the kfx may be a LITTLE faster, i would still take my 400ex any day just because im not a big fan of suzuki or kawasaki.

631kfx400
11-20-2007, 06:09 PM
I think that the kfx would win because i used to have a 400ex but i sold it to get the kfx and i clocked both quads and the kfx was about 1 mph faster

jonridesz400
11-22-2007, 05:06 AM
i agree i would sell my z for a honda anyday.

jdboy
12-07-2007, 04:26 PM
If everyything is equal and both are stock the 400ex will take the win in anything under 225 feet. After that the Z400's start to stretch their legs and will come around a stock EX. I love the 400EX for a woods machine because of the lowend grunt but the Z400's really pull up on top where the EX's sign off!

bloodmoney23
12-07-2007, 06:06 PM
if you put a stock KFX400 against a stock TRX450R in a top speed drag. the KFX will win. Up to final gear though 450r will be ahead. The KFX is an extremely competitve bike and has about a 6-10 mph higher topend speed than a stock 450r. It will kill a 400EX if they are both stock because a stock 400ex wouldnt have a chance at top speed or anything at the 450r.

ida400ex
12-07-2007, 08:16 PM
my brouther has a ltz i still have my trx. the ltz is slightly faster. i like the everything about the honda except it has no liquid cool. i just feel more in control with my trx

yellow400ex05
12-09-2007, 08:59 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bloodmoney23
if you put a stock KFX400 against a stock TRX450R in a top speed drag. the KFX will win. Up to final gear though 450r will be ahead. The KFX is an extremely competitve bike and has about a [B]6-10 mph higher topend speed than a stock 450r. It will kill a 400EX if they are both stock because a stock 400ex wouldnt have a chance at top speed or anything at the 450r.

I'm not trying to turn this around and bash anyone but I'm glad that this thread isn't as biased as I thought it would be, except for this one statement.

Alright when my quad was stock with just 18 inch kenda's in the back I would race my cousin's z400 and it has a full HMF k and N air-filter with no lid and stock gearing. I would lose time and time again by about 2 and a half quads, and every once in a while he'd get a horrible start and I'd win by maybe a nose I was able to launch off the line by a little because I had more torque than him and didn't bog but it was quickly lost after that.

Now my quad with the 18's and stock gearing and him with 20's and stock gearing I was little quicker on top by like 2 quads but it never meant anything in a drag race bc there wasn't enough room. I went back up to 20's and I did a top end run again and was ahead of his quad by like 5 lengths don't ask me why and I hated having that top speed.

Now when I got my HMF slip on, air-filter, and vented lid with my hot cam stage 1 without the gearing, I was able to beat him off the line and hold 2 lengths on him and slowly pull away because of me being able to pull my gears faster and having a lot more top speed.

Now I'm a light person 100 pounds on my quad which means lack of traction so occasionally if I raced him on loose black coal dirt I wouldn't hook till the end of 2nd and he's pull a length on me and by the end of the race I either pulled a length on him or it was a tie, and then more than once or twice lost.

Then I got the gearing listed in my sig, and it all changed from there.

Ok I'll start with the bad news first, I raced him in the loose dirt and Now I spin even with brand new kenda's till the end of third and he plus a length on me and keeps it there almost the whole way but I normally am on his back tires or tied with him all the way till the end. And the outcome was 50/50 I still got the jump on him half the time and held a length on him with no gain except till I hit 5th.

My top end is now tied with my cousin's Z and when we race on paved surfaces I got him off the start by 2 quads and hold it there till the end when I'm at the top of 5th he may gain on me but its very minimal due to me having lower gearing and our top end is close to equal.

Now I'm not bashing my cousin's quad I'm just giving a little background on how our quads have differed over time. and by no means are either of our quads slow, we've beaten many 400's we've come across one time or another and beaten a few quads that some would tend to disagree to and since I don't have proof I won't mention it.:cool: And yes I do admit skill did have a lot to do with the wins.

heres a picture of his Z and his name on here is whiteZrider.

http://a881.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/125/l_98a24d82d2ee83d3f843587002a04900.jpg

bloodmoney23
12-09-2007, 07:32 PM
so you are saying my statement is biased? Both 05's and both bone stock no mods. a kfx 400 and a trx 450r....i was on the 450r (mine) and my friend was on his 400 (his). about 5 seconds after i hit top speed he flew by me. This wasnt a 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile drag it was just top speed. this was on a paved road, so there was no spinning in coal dust or nothing. Point "A" was start point and point "B" was end of road. If KFX400 hit point "B" first it would be the faster bike. And it did. So....top speed, the KFX will dominate the 400ex.

yellow400ex05
12-09-2007, 07:45 PM
it was the other way around in my case but i rode every year 450r all stock and i don't think a 400 would be that much faster on top end but its been a while since I've ridden my 400 with the stock gearing so I possibly forgot.

maybe in your case the z400 would dominate the EX in top speed but not many people ever use or even care about that top speed if I had my stock gearing back I'd take your friends Z on.:blah: jk

WhiteZrider
12-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Well i'll just jump in here and say that my cousins 400 with the stock gearing and 20's was in fact a lot faster than mine on top end I'm not sure why but it was... And a 400 being "6-10" mph faster than an R on top end is pretty unlikely unless the Z it a powerhouse or the R is a lemon...

the top end of a 400 would be close with an R but the R should still be ahead in most cases by at least a length or 3

bloodmoney23
12-10-2007, 09:48 AM
well somehow it got turned to "z" when is mentioned several times it was a "KFX" and well that shows nobody listens anyway. I was just putting out a fact of what happened. If you all want to disagree then you are more than welcome too. I have been riding for well over 20 years so I have no reason to brag about a kfx400 which i never owned and no reason to put out that my 450r got beat by one other than the simple fact of knowledge gained to you. Guy with KFX you will beat the 400EX, good luck with your race.

Honda4lyphe
12-23-2007, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
if you put a stock KFX400 against a stock TRX450R in a top speed drag. the KFX will win. Up to final gear though 450r will be ahead. The KFX is an extremely competitve bike and has about a 6-10 mph higher topend speed than a stock 450r. It will kill a 400EX if they are both stock because a stock 400ex wouldnt have a chance at top speed or anything at the 450r.

I hate to say i disagree, but i disagree from self expirence.

Here is three scenarios with my EX vs my friends KFX.

First off.

We both have been riding competively since we can remember, so i'd like to say we are both equally skilled riders with our odds and ends.

My friend is 150 ilbs, i'm at 175 lbs. (muscle baby)

Okay - first scenario

Both the kfx and the ex are bone stock. Brand new, 03 and 04 bikes after getting broken in. These are the results over three months.

Low end, we'd be very close, when he hits 4th gear though he's off. Respectivly i'd say he goes 3-5mph faster then i. Every race is close, but he got me everytime.

Scenario two - i'm piped and jetted. Weighed down a little with a skid plate+nerf bars and a new bumper. I'd add about 11 lbs to the stock dry weight of my machine. He's all stock.

Low end, no question i absoutly toast him. I'm on a white bro's e-series pipe. 4th gear we are neck-neck but right before we are about to shift, he SLOWLY pulls away. For him to pass me its atleast 1/4 of a mile race. A normal drag, i'd win.

Scenario 3- We are both piped with the same pipe, he's got the exact same mods as me woth maybe a heavier bumper.

Low end i still got him, third we are BONE tied, 4th he seems to have lost some, but in 5th in a long race..the kfx has me.

All races are extremly close. We have switched rides, we expirence the same results. I love the kfx's top end, it just seems so smooth and never-ending like. Low end is where my ex comes to play, its just a broader more-incontrol feel then the kfx, but on the ex with the top end i feel the limitations, but its EXTREMLY close. Every single race, dirst, gravel, or pavement (dirt and gravel i usually got the win) its usually close.

Now, expirencing the kfx as i have, riding one for hours every week (we change up alot) i honestly dont see how a trx450R could come close to losing to a kfx 400. KFX defiantly shines in speed, but it shouldnt be any contest. I'd have to be in the race, passing the 450r myself to beleive it because if my ex does this great against a equally modded kfx (excluding i'm bigger then my buddy) then i feel i'd do a hell of a great job against a 450r myself. Some may say the same about my ex's low end compared to the kfx, its just my personal expirence. And by all means, the kfx is one of the greatest machines i've ever ridden with unlimited surprises on the trails and any where else, its also extremly reliable if you treat it like your family as we both do to our machines. Being a honda lover forever, i let my heart out to this paticular kawi to a definate reccomindation. Modded to the max, these things are mean. The EX speaks for itself. its just cool like that.

bloodmoney23
12-23-2007, 11:30 AM
here we go again. Just as you did your stupid tests that you just mentioned i did the same damn thing. I own a 05 450r. dont own a KFX. It was my buddy's when i was stationed in HI. We had bought them at the same time same place and everything. We decided to race to the end of the road. A little over a mile in distance. Bone stock bikes. Started at the same time, ended at the same place. I have raced in past he hasnt. I have never owned a kawi, he did. I have no reason to brag for a Kawi cause personally i dont like them. But bone stock he got to point "B" before I did. All in all it has a higher top speed than a 450r. A little schooling for you since you have been competitive and dont seem to understand this yet. A 450R's gearing is a lot lower than any 400's. Which in turn gives the 400 a higher top speed. if you have been riding since you remember you would understand sprocket sizes and gearing. But hey, if you dont believe it then oh well. i still got my money on the KFX in a race bone stock. and u even said the KFX would win when they were both bone stock which was the point of the thread anyway......oh yeah and if weight matters that much i on my 450 weighed 190 (all muscle) he weighed 220ish (kinda plump) And when u understand the concept of a mx based atv and a sport/mx based atv then talk.

Hondamaster5505
12-23-2007, 11:46 AM
here we go again. Just as you did your stupid tests that you just mentioned i did the same damn thing. I own a 05 450r. dont own a KFX. It was my buddy's when i was stationed in HI. We had bought them at the same time same place and everything. We decided to race to the end of the road. A little over a mile in distance. Bone stock bikes. Started at the same time, ended at the same place. I have raced in past he hasnt. I have never owned a kawi, he did. I have no reason to brag for a Kawi cause personally i dont like them. But bone stock he got to point "B" before I did. All in all it has a higher top speed than a 450r. A little schooling for you since you have been competitive and dont seem to understand this yet. A 450R's gearing is a lot lower than any 400's. Which in turn gives the 400 a higher top speed. if you have been riding since you remember you would understand sprocket sizes and gearing. But hey, if you dont believe it then oh well. i still got my money on the KFX in a race bone stock. and u even said the KFX would win when they were both bone stock which was the point of the thread anyway......oh yeah and if weight matters that much i on my 450 weighed 190 (all muscle) he weighed 220ish (kinda plump) And when u understand the concept of a mx based atv and a sport/mx based atv then talk.

I kinda agree because the 450's werent built for top speed, they were built for mx. You dont need top speed in mx.

But we're talking about a mile, so in a regular short drag, the 450 would kill it

bloodmoney23
12-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
I kinda agree because the 450's werent built for top speed, they were built for mx. You dont need top speed in mx.

But we're talking about a mile, so in a regular short drag, the 450 would kill it

thanks bro, finally someone that understands gearing and the concepts and if you look in my first post. I was killing the dude till i topped out.....a few seconds later he flew by me.

Honda4lyphe
12-23-2007, 06:18 PM

Okay, i'll give that to you. I didnt realize the 450r was geared down so low, the ones i've raced stock (with the exeption of some nerfs and handlebars etc) have blown past me the full way, theres alot of locals here that ride in our area so i see alot of everything. From past expirence i always get my *** handed to me low-top end on the four fiddy's. I guess they geared theirs slightly higher but it does make alot of sence, i see whatcha mean now because i've witnessed alot of other R's get laid out by the yfz and the ltz and now the kfx 450s in a long pull race. KFX 400 top end is pretty impressive and a big reason i keep closer now is i went up a sprocket which i forgot to mention.

Wasnt trying to make you look like a liar or anything, my fault on not thinking about the scientific part ><.

exrider12
12-23-2007, 07:14 PM
a kfx or ltz will not beat a 450r. Way different engines. A kfx / ltz will beat a 400ex.

bloodmoney23
12-24-2007, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by exrider12
a kfx or ltz will not beat a 450r. Way different engines. A kfx / ltz will beat a 400ex.

dude, just read the post and think about it before you speak.....a 250 can beat a 400 if the tranny and sprockets are geared right.

chrisrzz1012
12-29-2007, 07:46 PM
i have a 06 ltz400 and my buddy has a 03 and a 02 trx400 and my suzuki wins ever time the race is'nt even close I have raced a trx 450 and beat it in a straight shot.

yellow400ex05
12-30-2007, 07:04 PM
i gotta admit the older 400's that have a lot of ride time on them are kind of underpowered , just compare your newer quads to something just as new if not newer than yours and see how it turns out.

in the end it doesn't matter whos faster in a race just ride and that extra couple MPH isn't gonna show unless its out in a field.

a lot of people experience different turnouts some are made out of the box with less power some are ridden a lot more and harder.

RATPACK Z400
01-03-2008, 12:00 PM
The Z 400 will beat the EX 400 by many lenths for one the ex tops out at 65 with stock gearing the z tops out at 70 plus I run 22in rear and run 73mph as for drag racing the two only ex that has won was a 502 ex maybe I just have great reaction off the line but the Z is no slow poke!

yellow400ex05
01-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
The Z 400 will beat the EX 400 by many lenths for one the ex tops out at 65 with stock gearing the z tops out at 70 plus I run 22in rear and run 73mph as for drag racing the two only ex that has won was a 502 ex maybe I just have great reaction off the line but the Z is no slow poke!
it ain't a rocket ship either.

RATPACK Z400
01-04-2008, 09:28 AM
The one I found out with the Z is the rear tires are a big difference change them first and your acceliration will improve alot with stocks I beat my friends exs by a lenth but when i went with 6ply or 4ply there was huge difference. and no its not a rocketship but with mods it can be!