PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke law question

tim colston
11-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Is it legal to sell a new 2 stoke atv in the us.

I was under the impression that the major manufacture are going to the 4 stroke because 2 stokes are no longer legal to sell because of the emission laws. please help cause I may have stuck my foot in my mouth.

54warrior
11-19-2007, 12:10 PM
I think it's legal everywhere but California. Thanks to that one state, all the mfg's have gone to four stroke's, because 2-strokes can only be sold for "competition use" only.

tim colston
11-19-2007, 12:11 PM
thanks warrior anyone else?

CannondaleRider
11-19-2007, 12:42 PM
I've heard information about it being legal to sell them, in a situation where it's a "Closed-Course" bike.....somehow the manufactures can twist the use of a bike to be legal in that sense.

I know that it's legal to sell a new production 2-stroke, if the production numbers arn't over a certain number. A friend of mine, Brad Oakley, from BlackwidowATV, was building a production, fully race ready, 700 2-Stroke....I asked about the laws on that, and he told me that because his production numbers would be fairly low in the realm of most manufactures, he doesn't have to worry about it. Not sure what that number is though.

54warrior
11-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
I've heard information about it being legal to sell them, in a situation where it's a "Closed-Course" bike.....somehow the manufactures can twist the use of a bike to be legal in that sense.

I know that it's legal to sell a new production 2-stroke, if the production numbers arn't over a certain number. A friend of mine, Brad Oakley, from BlackwidowATV, was building a production, fully race ready, 700 2-Stroke....I asked about the laws on that, and he told me that because his production numbers would be fairly low in the realm of most manufactures, he doesn't have to worry about it. Not sure what that number is though.

That's only in Cali though, correct??

tim colston
11-19-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by 54warrior
That's only in Cali though, correct??

I just can't see cali being that important to shut it down for the rest of the states.

Fred55
11-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Two-strokes can be sold in the US, but they must be designated competition/closed course only. I dont remember all the stipulations that meant it was closed course but I do remember it couldn't have lights stock and had to have atleast 12inchs of travel.

Ghost-Rider
11-19-2007, 01:06 PM
I think it's legal to sell them but not produce them for sale in the U.S.

tim colston
11-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
I think it's legal to sell them but not produce them for sale in the U.S.

that is what I thought. I know you can get an 08 banshee but you have to go to canada to get it.