PDA

View Full Version : Starting issue

hanes17
11-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Here is the story. I raced at the beach(worcs rd 9). Sand got threw the air filter. I was running MRX01 fuel that one time only. I run 91 octane any other time. I cleaned the whole intake system out. The throttle body and intake boot was completly clean when I got done. In and around the vlaves I cleaned it the best I could. I put everthing back togather and it started and ran fine. About 3 days later I went to load it up and go race. It started on the back porch and I rode it to the back fence and it stalled. After that it would not start on its own. I had to pull start it. Once started, I rode it around the block a few times and let it idle for about 30 mins. After that it would start any time I wanted. The next weekend I went to another race. Loaded it up, unloaded at the track, ran the uclassified practice, teched, rode to the start line, started on the line before the race with no problems starting at all this whole time. I even crashed during the race and it started back up. After the race when it had been sitting for about two hours or so it would not start. Yesterday I tried to start it and it wouldnt. If I pull start it and let it get warmed up I can shut it off and it will start back up until it get cooled off.

The battery is fully charged. I have checked all the wire harnesses. Any suggestions?

LTR450_#67
11-18-2007, 10:24 PM
I would like to say it's something electrical but since you said it seemed OK in that department that rules it out..... And you said you ran some sand through it? And along with the symptoms your telling me it sounds like maybe your down on compression.....

My 2 cents

Aaron

hanes17
11-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Anyone else have any ideas?

ProjectLTR
11-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Same **** Happen To me A Droped My ****in Intake Valves Im Pissed but idk if thats what happen to yours

motoxdrew11123
11-25-2007, 02:15 AM
check your fuel filter? have you changed it any time soon cause if you havet yet you might want i change mine after every worcs race and after any local MX weekend these bikes need a lot of maintance try that also is your vavles fine? cause it can start some of the time and it wont others i had this problem when i broke a vavle

jfarrar30
11-25-2007, 09:39 AM
9 times outta ten when a quad wont start when cold but will when hot is tight valves.check your clearances.if they are off a ways the sand may have chewed up your valves and you may wanna check into that before one of them does drop.

hanes17
11-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys for your input. I will check my valves first. I kind of thought that it could be that. Hopefully thats all it is.

660LE
11-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Same thing happened to me. Check your swirl tank filter. Good cahnce its dirty and not letting the fuel pump geting the psi it needs to start.

onall4rs
11-30-2007, 03:48 PM
this will sound silly but i had a similer porblem after racing on sand
would not start when cold
mine s 06 ltr at the time with less than 3 hour s on it
we went through evry thing even left the bike with the dealer for a week with no luck
the next day i was in the workshop looking at my sons pit bike
and took the alloy gas cap to see if it would fit the ltr with that my son walked in to see he sat on the ltr hit the start button
and it started
looking at the ltr gas cap we found the air vent valve was cloged with sand i put an air line to it put it back on the rest is history

LTR450_#67
11-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by onall4rs
this will sound silly but i had a similer porblem after racing on sand
would not start when cold
mine s 06 ltr at the time with less than 3 hour s on it
we went through evry thing even left the bike with the dealer for a week with no luck
the next day i was in the workshop looking at my sons pit bike
and took the alloy gas cap to see if it would fit the ltr with that my son walked in to see he sat on the ltr hit the start button
and it started
looking at the ltr gas cap we found the air vent valve was cloged with sand i put an air line to it put it back on the rest is history

I've seen this problem numerous times too at the races. I actually have found it to be the culprit 3 times for guys in the pits. One of the guys had a bike.