PDA

View Full Version : some basic riding questions

ny300exrider
11-07-2002, 05:31 PM
ok, i have had my 300 for 2 weeks or so now and have most of the basics perfect. i can turn fine and all that stuff but i want to learn how to wheelie better. is it better to start off stopped in 1st or 2nd and pop the clutch into a wheelie or ride in 2nd and pin the throttle. i can get it up fine doing it the second way but it drops down after a second and seems like it revs too high and runs outta speed. i know searching for wheelies would help but id like to know wich is the easier way and what are some tips.

when i have been goin to the local sandpit, i climb all of the little hills there so i want to go to the biger stuff. i tryed a pretty big hill but i know i did it wrong. i put it in 2nd at the bottom and tryed climbin it all the way up. you are supposed to go faster (say 3rd gear pinned ) at the bottom to get the momentum then if your losin downshift right? i didnt have the power to make it so i just inched back down lol. i dont wanna sound like a poser or whatever but all the kids i know are no-it-alls and tell me stuff that isnt even true like climb the hill in 5th gear hahaha so id like opinions from the experts lol.
thanks for the help.

TC17
11-07-2002, 05:51 PM
to wheelie really good...lean as far as yo ucan off the seat, i use 1st, gun it and keep the rpms around 4g or less. practice wheelies on you ness so you get used to the balance point then try sitting down. then hit balance point and you won't have to rev it, you can keep it at an solid rpm. i coasted before withouth the gas for about 5 feet. check out the pic. that's balance point.

NEVER downshift on a hillclimb unless you really know what your doing. you just flip it right over. my dad tried it. he went for a huge hillclimb, got to the top downshifted stood it up and the guy at the top jumped on the grab bar and probably saved his life. the hill was a good 150 feet high. at about a 70 degree angle.

TC17
11-07-2002, 05:52 PM
you can also wheelie through the gears if you do it right. i almost flipped it like that. to much power when i shifted. i pop the auto clutch from 1st to second at a rolling start and i can do a nice wheelie really long that way.

Team Outlaw #34
11-07-2002, 05:58 PM
When i do a wheelie i just put it in 2nd while i am slightly rolling and pop the clutch......When i do it in 1st i can't ride it very long cause I loose power....................hope that helped:(

Team Outlaw #34
11-07-2002, 06:00 PM
When i am loosing power goin up a hill i always down shift..........i haven't flipped yet......but i don't know I must know what i'm doin i guess..............

CHAUNCY
11-07-2002, 06:17 PM
yea you have to shift down if you are loosing power on a hill most of the time

Juggalo
11-07-2002, 07:28 PM
wheelies are all about practice

11-07-2002, 07:32 PM
Well just egt sued to poping wheelies and letting em down, then go to 1st gear and pop and try to get it goin then go to pop it up again and in 1st until it is too high rpm's then shift to 2nd.. you'll see work ya way up there

11-07-2002, 08:26 PM
i can wheelie just about anything, i can shift through all the gears, or just stay in one on my 400ex

ny300exrider
11-08-2002, 01:28 PM
thanks guys. yes i can pop em up fine but im gonna keep practicin. i will try to conquer the hill this weekend haha.

j400exrider
11-08-2002, 02:31 PM
i can wheelie my 400 in any gear, its not hard i can go through all the gears, and start off in any gear, its great, like they said just find thebalancing point. and go from there.

GT300
11-08-2002, 03:24 PM
Just practice doing wheelies and in about a 2 weeks you will be able to ride them five times as far as before. Keep practicing.

Live2Ride300
11-08-2002, 03:31 PM
Start wheelies in 2nd gear, and learn to find the balance point, once you find the balance point its all about keeping it up, if you are going pretty fast in a wheelie, then its easier to keep it up cuz u just keep on the gas, but if ur giong slower then u gotta like control the throttle cuz if u give it too much then u will go over. Ive found that 3rd gear is a really good gear to wheelie on the 300. It comes up fairly easy in 3rd and I have an ALL stock motor. Once you get wheelies down real good, you can learn to start switching gears in a wheelie, I used to do this w/ out using the clutch, but now I can use the clutch in a wheelie, its all about where ur *** is on the seat, and control of the quad. Soon you will be able to ride a wheelie through all 5 gears. Ive gotten into mid 5th gear in a wheelie before.

Doibugu2
11-08-2002, 03:35 PM
Somebody else here said to sit on the seat with one knee and put the other by the brake. It works good to practice, because it you start to fall over, you can just stand up, and not land on your back.

Taco
11-08-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
Somebody else here said to sit on the seat with one knee and put the other by the brake. It works good to practice, because it you start to fall over, you can just stand up, and not land on your back.
lol you wont end up on your back if you don't let get go:D

Ryan
11-08-2002, 05:53 PM
The best way I learned is to just keep riding and just let yourself take you to the next level of riding. Thats really the best way of learning. advice won't improve your riding skills to much. just it will let you know alittle more on what to do.

MichaelS693
11-08-2002, 06:02 PM
keep your bike revved out or have high rpm's through the whole way up