PDA

View Full Version : Bigger engine with a real tranny?

thedeatons
11-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Has anyone looked into or performed any engine swaps using a DRR chassis and a bigger engine, something like a CR85 engine or similar? I am thinking of something with a manual shift and tons more power, for the dunes. The sand just sucks the power and no matter what you have there is a need for more.... I know there are some converted Blasters out there, but I think the DRR is a nice chassis to start with also.... just thinking out loud....

QuadJunkies
11-19-2007, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by thedeatons
Has anyone looked into or performed any engine swaps using a DRR chassis and a bigger engine, something like a CR85 engine or similar? I am thinking of something with a manual shift and tons more power, for the dunes. The sand just sucks the power and no matter what you have there is a need for more.... I know there are some converted Blasters out there, but I think the DRR is a nice chassis to start with also.... just thinking out loud....

We talked about this just a month ago and it has been done, but IMO, the frame will not last long.
Its been tough just having the motor in a bigger chassis. lol

thedeatons
11-19-2007, 09:03 AM
I am wondering if the KTM 85cc engine would be a good fit. It has been around a few years, it is water cooled, and it has a six speed tranny. The fact that we have a radiator already is a plus on our water cooled 70, and the fact that KTM does their countershaft sprockets on the right side is also a big plus! Comments?

wheresrichie
11-19-2007, 02:20 PM
How about a CRF 150 motor??? Holy s#!t batman.....that would be bad *****.

thedeatons
11-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Actually it wouldn't do me any good... That little 4 stroke would be about the equivalent of my daughter's 2 stroke 70, especially in the sand where high revs are needed to churn sand and go up the big stuff....

Back to the KTM 85, I was wrong, they went with a left side sprocket on the little bikes, unfortunately. The big engines are right side outputs.

Any other bright ideas?

cheatermtrsprts
11-19-2007, 06:22 PM
I built one a few years back with a kx 60 engine. I flipped the axle over and did some fab work for the brakes and it worked pretty good. The ktm 85 should rip in a mini quad. ( with the right gussetting)
Also, don't put the 150's down they make good power and torque.

thedeatons
11-19-2007, 06:52 PM
That sounds like a neat idea, I would love to see some pictures of that conversion!

The 150 is simply unacceptable in the sand. I can understand everyone's concern and opinions, but until you've been there, you just don't know... Many of the big bkes simply can't go where we go. The Blaster gets around because it has revs and weight... The 150 would NOT work... Trust me..

tom450r
11-19-2007, 08:10 PM
That sounds like a neat idea, I would love to see some pictures of that conversion!

The 150 is simply unacceptable in the sand. I can understand everyone's concern and opinions, but until you've been there, you just don't know... Many of the big bkes simply can't go where we go. The Blaster gets around because it has revs and weight... The 150 would NOT work... Trust me..

the crf 150 is the same type of motor as the 450r incase you didn't know. but they are just as fast in the sand as they are on the track. i have seen 1st hand at silverlake (sand dunes) when they walk away from all the 2 strokes, even some 125's. & if antone wedges a 150 in a drr frame POST THE PICS PLEASE. thats my idea for my DRR in a couple years when the 150 motors are a little cheaper to get, & my duaghter can handle the power.

thedeatons
11-19-2007, 08:24 PM
I'm still skeptical... A 2 stroke of similar size or even a bit smaller would rip on it... Take the Cobra 90 racing with 450s for instance... Power:Weight. It's not about flat drags and torque. It's about horsepower and revs in the sand up steep climbs, which is what I am talking about. Research Sand Mt. Nevada/St. Anthony's for more details... We don't do flat.

I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but in the small classes nothing beats a little 2 stroke for output....

tom450r
11-19-2007, 08:47 PM
truth is thats how it is (for now) but you have to admit 4strokes are the future. every PRO will agree but to tell you the truth I LOVE SMELLING THAT 2 STROKE SMOKE just like the old 250R somethings just can't be replaced. so i know where you are coming from.

thedeatons
11-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, I love 4 strokes too... I currently have a Cannondale Moto (450) and my wife has a Cannondale Glamis (432)... We love beating the 2 strokes.... I like the 2 strokes in the little guys, and that is all I am interested in swapping for.... perhaps we just need some crazy upgrades.....

QuadJunkies
11-20-2007, 12:06 AM
Oh don't get me wrong, I love 4 strokes too... I currently have a Cannondale Moto (450) and my wife has a Cannondale Glamis (432)... We love beating the 2 strokes.... I like the 2 strokes in the little guys, and that is all I am interested in swapping for.... perhaps we just need some crazy upgrades.....
you could always have Billy holt build you a power house .
he builds some SICK power out of minis,trust me... we had one for my Daughter. It was the fastest stroker around here.:macho

tom450r
11-20-2007, 04:10 PM

i'm about to send my trans. off to dave carter for the big bearing upgrade & the new slipper clutch. motors not a prob. for this 2 stroke eng. from what i've found, i just need this trans. to hold up. hopefully dave has the fix we all need. i'll report on how this setup works as soon as we try it out.

thedeatons
11-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Well... Cory at CoolKids seems to think we may just be outgrowing the 70... I am fairly opposed to throwing a 90 in it, simply because it is still a one speed tranny. Perhaps I just need to find a Blaster roller and build it slowly...

thedeatons
11-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Okay... It's settled. No more messing around. I am going to take my time and find a late model Blaster with a blown (or no) engine. I am going to use that and throw a CR80 engine in it and let her rip on that in the dunes. Quadjunkies already has the local experience to get the swap done, and it will probably be pretty cheap, except for the suspension that I will go nuts on. That being said, anyone have a Blaster roller in or near Idaho for ~$500? I have seen them on Ebay and craigslist, running even for about this price. A roller for that should be easy. Also will eventually need that CR80 engine.

bulldogfallon
11-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Any thought of using a TRX300 frame? This seems to be a popular choice....along with the use of the CRF150 motor

I hear that new Yamaha 250 is pretty light too?

I think Hetrick and Bud Fischer have done some good things with these type of projects

I don't care for how the Blasters handle....we have one...it is for sale...just doesn't feel very stable

A 300ex and a 150 I would make it heavy.

thedeatons
11-20-2007, 08:42 PM
My plan includes a +4 axle and +2 A-arms with Ohlins.... Duner....

tireman43
11-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Okay... It's settled. No more messing around. I am going to take my time and find a late model Blaster with a blown (or no) engine. I am going to use that and throw a CR80 engine in it and let her rip on that in the dunes. Quadjunkies already has the local experience to get the swap done, and it will probably be pretty cheap, except for the suspension that I will go nuts on. That being said, anyone have a Blaster roller in or near Idaho for ~$500? I have seen them on Ebay and craigslist, running even for about this price. A roller for that should be easy. Also will eventually need that CR80 engine.

Go down to the ATV For Sale section and post a WANTED ad. Should get you somewhere with that.

myersracing41
11-21-2007, 03:30 PM
We just got back from one of the shops around here, and I was surprised at the size of the Raptor 250, its tiny but very racey looking. It would make an excellent choice. My son sat on it and It fits his size perfect but way to advanced I'm sure as for power to weight + his experience on quads.
Just my 2 cents worth.

By the way I finally got to see one of the DRX 90's on Monday I was very impressed. Ken Jolly and I cant remember the other guys name (sorry) dropped one of at Durhamtown they are going to offer it in their fleet of rentals which I kind of think is crazy but they would be alot safer. I wish I would have caught the guy earlier, because I would like to have seen Dustin on it at the Peewee track. The GM was riding it around on one of the tracks.

thedeatons
11-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Raptor 250 = Brand new quad cost with no mods...

Blaster Conversion = less than $4k with mods...

Just my thoughts on this. I cannot afford new stuff AND mods, and none of the new stuff doesn't need mods in my opinion.

myersracing41
11-21-2007, 11:02 PM
I see your point, keep us posted on the progress.

thedeatons
11-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Quadjunkies, I would love some opinions/stories on the headaches you guys experienced during your conversion of the Blaster....

QuadJunkies
11-22-2007, 12:27 AM
Quadjunkies, I would love some opinions/stories on the headaches you guys experienced during your conversion of the Blaster....

HAHA.. you dont want to hear all the headache we went threw on this quad..(Looooong topic on the rebuild ):p
Ist of all, dont get an 80 ,get an 85. We have both motors,an 80 is tough to get parts for as well as the pipe .;)
Her Hybrid is converted with all Honda components.The only thing that is a Yamaha is the Frame and half the tie rod! Makes wheel swapping nice too!
:o :p
The best thing to do is give Troy a call, theres ALOT to go over ,but Kelseys loves her mini.
Who knows... Maybe next race season, Brandon will have her motor in his and give it a try and a YZ125 in hers :devil:
Both kids racing the same class
Let the drama begin!:blah:

You should come hang out at the FT this wk end with us. Kelsey is racing womens class with her mini :macho

thedeatons
11-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Can you give me the times of when you will be there? Are those the fairgrounds beside Woody's Outdoor Power?

Honestly I will probably go with the 80 engine, because initial costs are cheaper and I have researched and found there are not many differences. I order the majority of my parts online anyway through bikebandit.com, so the 80 parts are aplenty in the warehouses. I too had plans to do Honda spindles for ease of bolt patterns and such.

I would love to see a write up of the quad or something informational?

I will let you know about the flat track. Can you PM me your number again? I didn't save it last time!!

QuadJunkies
11-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Can you give me the times of when you will be there? Are those the fairgrounds beside Woody's Outdoor Power?

Honestly I will probably go with the 80 engine, because initial costs are cheaper and I have researched and found there are not many differences. I order the majority of my parts online anyway through bikebandit.com, so the 80 parts are aplenty in the warehouses. I too had plans to do Honda spindles for ease of bolt patterns and such.

I would love to see a write up of the quad or something informational?

I will let you know about the flat track. Can you PM me your number again? I didn't save it last time!!

Im tellin ya, you wont get the same power out of the 80.
Ours is a 91 now(ours is an older 80 motor) the stock motor is a new 85 we have as a back up motor.You can get a good deal on an 85 motor.
If you plan on skimpin, you might as well take a long time to build it and just do it all the right way.We bought ours Hybrid already"race ready? it was far from it from "skimping". IT ended up making a 6000.00 race ready quad into a 12,000- 3000.00 was just to get it up and running.

The guy I told you about in Middleton(who is doing some DRR stuff) is who builds our motors. He use to build McGraths motors,his AMA plate hangs in his shop.. He does nice work,he can tell you what all we had to do to get Kelseys up to par on the 80 motor.
Heres the topic from last year.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=257370&highlight=Physco+lime

We love KTM ,but Im sure the KTM doesnt come cheap.You basically need to buy the whole bike to get all the parts to need to do the build.

Yes, that the place . Gates open at 100.
Kelsey will be racing this wk end in the womens class.
Oh, and before I forget... You wont want to use the stock DRR radiator. IMO its not big enough to cool properly. Even on a DRR if we kept our LC DRR motor, we would have upgraded as its small.
You will want to upgrade to a bigger cooler for sand. WE upgraded to a YFZ450 radiator to keep temps down when racing endurnace races. Same thing would be needed to Sand riding since your always on the gas.

brainwashed
11-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Les at Extreme Mini Quads NW did this with a Kasea frame and a KX 65 shifter motor.

It came out pretty sharp imo.

EDIT:
Turns out Brad Loomis build the frame for the 65 shifter quad at Extreme Mini Quads NW.

CrackerboyLV
12-05-2007, 09:02 PM
I have a E-ton frame (Kasea Plastics) modded for a CR125 engine and a YFZ 450 front end. It is fun in the dunes, but too wide to race (53"). I'm stripping the bike down to build a CR125 Blaster for Brendan. If anyone is interested in the Frame/Plastics/Seat - I'm open to trades. (Blaster Plastics/Seat)

The 125's have stronger transmissions and put out nearly the same power as a modded 85 in stock form. (More reliable for a dune bike)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/177/434634780_95d1cc967a.jpg

Steven623
12-06-2007, 05:54 PM
I want to see more of what all you guys have built with these quads! The kasea that was just posted really looks cool too! Its really neat to see what everyone comes up with for modified builds!

thedeatons
12-06-2007, 06:32 PM
I didn't know a 125 tranny was stronger! The thing about an 80 in a Blaster is that you can still race in the 90 class...

bulldogfallon
12-06-2007, 10:02 PM
How about a 125cc 4 stroke manual shifter....not an auto clutch or cvt......

A true manual clutch shifter (manufactured this way...no mods)

Potentially a cheaper national build than a TRX90?

Great way to teach the younger rider to shift before making the jump to a Raptor 250 or 300ex or Blaster?

Anyone interested?

thedeatons
12-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Not really... LOL. I think I mentioned earlier in the post that I am only interested in two strokes personally, because of the increased power. Like I said we nearly exclusively ride dunes, and a 90 two stroke wouldn't do it, meaning no way a 125 four stroke would do it.....

thedeatons
12-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Ummm okay... Let's back up here...

I can get a CR80 engine, or even an 85, which ever one, for less than $1000 with plenty of horsepower to get my 5 year old anywhere she wants to go in the sand. This is not an anything goes post. So you have a fast 125 four stroke, okay, that is fine, I am happy for you. How much did you pay for it and is it probably a bit much for my kiddo?

Your sand example is 180 degrees off by the way. The sand requires revs to turn the paddles more, so they can scoop more sand. I know, because that is nearly all we ride. Torque matters not. Another point to back this up is the abundance of two strokes in the sand. Peaky, high revs, to turn the paddles. My Cannondale Moto 450 is set up for peak hp and quick revs for the sand, not torque.

So, to get back to the original idea... I need a small two stroke for my 5 year old to ride in the sand exclusively. I have already decided not to trash the DRR, but instead to throw a CR80 in a Blaster, because #1 cheap, #2 enough power for her to do just fine. A Blaster with a pipe and jet and paddles will go up the drag hill at Sand Mt. NV, so an 80 engine will be just fine. Budget is key here.

thedeatons
12-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Sheesh... Okay, you know what, you have never met me, or my daughter, so now who doesn't know anything? Having never met us I would refrain from making comments about us. My daughter is perfectly able to accomplish things that other kids can't dream about She has more experience and know how than some 12 year olds I have met.

I am officially done with this thread because of comments like these. I asked a simpy question, and now people are speaking to things that were not asked about in the original post.

Feel free to continue comparing high dollar engines and calling things unsafe. We will be riding.

QuadJunkies
12-08-2007, 12:41 AM
I have to fix something here....

James, Im sorry.. Dont get mad at bulldogfallon...
That was my post that I accidentally posted in his post(I thought I hit reply, and I hit edit and it quoted in bulldogfallon's reply) so dont be upset with him.;) So I apologize to both of you for that. James,I wasnt trying to offend you. :(
I only posted that because I wanted you to try her on for size on Kelseys! :)
I just cant see her being able to fit shifting is all and just hope shes fits properly.
Bring her over and try her on for size,we dont mind at all! :)
Plus, the kids could play for abit .:) Im just concered about her fitting on it properly is all.
Were your freinds,not your enemies here-Troy,myself and all these great people on the site just sharing there thoughts and ideas.:)

One thing you will always see in most forums is a topic NEVER stays on topic! :p HEHE!

If you need anything ,just give us a call or feel free to drop by.

thedeatons
12-08-2007, 06:54 PM
No problem, I understand what you mean. She touches the pegs just fine on our friend's Blaster, and that is al she could do when she got her DRR 70 at 4 years old. Sand is different, everyone worries about things that happen in the dirt that you don't really have to worry about in the sand. We would love to come by sometime... I will have to call you. We saw Cory today and helped him with his Dale. He is such a nice fellow!