PDA

View Full Version : I need your opinion on my next mod

shockwave95
11-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Hi

I want to change my exhaust to get more performance. I was looking a HMF but I ride a lot of trail and even with the quiet core, I was told that the HMF is still too loud. So I am looking at the FMF Q2 or Q4 and the power Bomb headers. The Q2 is rated at 93 dBs. Have any of you guys had this set up and how is FMF?

I will put some Maxxis 4-snow on my stock rims and I am looking to get some new rims and tires for next summer. I would like to go on a 10 inches rim. What will be the ride difference when riding trail or sands pit? My stock tires are 20x10-9 and I want to put some Maxxis 20x11-10.

trx400EXtreme
11-18-2007, 08:01 PM
i used to have the Q2. it sounded good, performed good, but if you like to do wheelies or plan on doing wheelies....dont get it. its so long it sticks out past the grab bar. as does the Q. not sure about the Q4 though.

trx400EXtreme
11-18-2007, 08:04 PM
heres a pic of when i had it. .http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/trx400extreme/P4090004_edited.jpg

GOTFEAR
11-18-2007, 08:08 PM
LRD good power

my88r
11-18-2007, 08:48 PM
i like my fmf Q2. its quiet through the hole power band.

shockwave95
11-18-2007, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by my88r

How is the power gain of your full system compair to a stock pipe?

shockwave95
11-18-2007, 08:59 PM
I am trying to find the dBs of the quiet core on a HMF. Is it trail legal? or is it still too loud? I am kind of sold on HMF like many of you, but it has to be trail legal.

my88r
11-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by shockwave95
How is the power gain of your full system compair to a stock pipe?

it surprised me. good power through out. by far the quitest pipe. less db then my original Q.

11-19-2007, 05:46 AM
my suggestion is that you should always do suspension before performance...

you will be able to handle the turns faster, therefore making you faster. as it is the stock suspension is ok, but could use an upgrade to be able to handle the engines output...

i can say, without a doubt that, people who tell you to do performance mods first have never ridden on a bike with an upgraded suspension

Hondamaster5505
11-19-2007, 06:32 AM
FINALLY! Probably the first person on here asking about quiet pipes, not which is loudest. LMAO.

I like the Q2, but i like the power of my DMC, i just need to buy a quiet core for it when i get a chance.

Hondamaster5505
11-19-2007, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by my88r

Why do ur rear fenders look different then the others, they kinda look like a 450r's??

shockwave95
11-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
my suggestion is that you should always do suspension before performance...

you will be able to handle the turns faster, therefore making you faster. as it is the stock suspension is ok, but could use an upgrade to be able to handle the engines output...

i can say, without a doubt that, people who tell you to do performance mods first have never ridden on a bike with an upgraded suspension

I have already done the suspension upgrade, I have Elka front shock with compression adj and Elka rear with high, low speed comp rebound adj +Elka linkage. now I am trying to get more power but with a trail legal dBs sound. It not that I don't like it loud,

11-19-2007, 08:11 AM
then you should be good to go...any quiet core pipe will work...one pipe may work better on my 400ex than the same pipe would on your 400ex, so to go by what people say is the best is kind of useless. all will give you a little bit more umph than stock though...

Mercedes
11-19-2007, 09:33 AM
I got the Curtis Sparks full exaust with K&N air filter and it sound great and with the right jetting, its a great power boost. I always slap on the original pipe and rejet for winter trail riding, here in Quebec. Only stock pipes are legal.

shockwave95
11-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Mercedes
I got the Curtis Sparks full exaust with K&N air filter and it sound great and with the right jetting, its a great power boost. I always slap on the original pipe and rejet for winter trail riding, here in Quebec. Only stock pipes are legal.

Witch one do you have, x-4 or x-6? DO you have the quiet core on your pipe? if yes, is it loud? I see a lots of 400ex with the Curtis Sparks here and I was told that it run better then HMF.

my88r
11-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by shockwave95
Witch one do you have, x-4 or x-6? DO you have the quiet core on your pipe? if yes, is it loud? I see a lots of 400ex with the Curtis Sparks here and I was told that it run better then HMF.

yes they do make a quite core. i talked to sparks about it and even with the quite core its loud. because it has a small canister then most.

250exkid
11-19-2007, 03:36 PM
HMF is trail legal with the quiet core

Mercedes
11-20-2007, 08:40 AM
I got the X6 on it and sounds great. Not as loud as yoshimoura, but a very nice pop to it. How ever it is loud enough to make me smile sometimes.

Mercedes
11-20-2007, 08:56 AM
The maxxis 4-snow all the way. Get them on 8' rims, the tires go for about 45$ each, so no biggy. Never mind the clearence, you will never ride in more than 1 foot of snow from what you said you dont get that much anyways.

The 4-snow tire is made so that when you hit the gas, they acctualy streatch, so your rear will rise up and you will have better clearence.

As I said before, I'm from Quebec and riding in winter here is very big. So I do know,by experiance(some good some bad)That you gotta have the right tires for the job.

Maxxis razr2 up front and 4-snow in the rear, cant go wrong.

Myself I even put some ice screws in the front tires last year,this year I'm gonna try car tires studds

shockwave95
11-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Mercedes
The maxxis 4-snow all the way. Get them on 8' rims,. Never mind the clearence, The 4-snow tire is made so that when you hit the gas, they acctualy streatch, so your rear will rise up and you will have better clearence.

As I said before, I'm from Quebec and riding in winter here is very big. So I do know,by experiance(some good some bad)That you gotta have the right tires for the job.

Maxxis razr2 up front and 4-snow in the rear, cant go wrong.

Myself I even put some ice screws in the front tires last year,this year I'm gonna try car tires studds

I was already planing to studd my factory front tire that is what my shop recomended. Now I will do it for sure, thanks. Why going on 8' rim and not a 9'? I was planing to put the 4-snow on my factory 9' rim and buy some beadlock in the spring for my summer tire? What size rims are the best for summer 9' or 10'?

JDMThoughts
11-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Sparks X6 Big Core and it is very very loud, and even with the quiet core, it is only toned down a little bit, nothing crazy. Probably still not quiet enough to pass most decibel tests.

Mercedes
11-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Hey shockwave95 sorry about that this is the wrong thread this was about exaust, not tires. Check out the one about tires,and I'll tell you all you need to know about winter riding.

Ca doit etre pas pire rouller a Chicoutimi,ya dla neige en masse jimagine.

shockwave95
11-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Mercedes

Je viens juste de finir de pelleter. Il y a 1 pied + de neige.

I will get the 4 -snow on my 9' rims tomorrow to save some money and stud my front tires.

Curtis Spark will be too loud for trail riding even if it is one of the best pipe, my two options are

FMF Q2 and FMF Power Bomb
HMF Ballance with quiet core slip on and FMF Power Bomb.

I just want to know how loud is the HMF with a quiet core? If it is not too loud, it would be my first choice.

Mercedes
11-20-2007, 01:46 PM
In my area les clubquad dont mind the pipes, its the SQ police. They are in the trails in winter.

1st- stock pipe(has to say example; Honda on it)
2nd- mirror
3rd- speedo
4th-proof of inssurance.
5th-member trail pass.

Its 125$ ticket for each one, if you dont got it.

they hit me hard last year.

trx400EXtreme
11-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Why do ur rear fenders look different then the others, they kinda look like a 450r's?? on the back of the 400ex fenders, there is a little peice that kinda "drops down". he cut that off.