PDA

View Full Version : Time to upgrade

mikeboone
11-01-2001, 05:37 PM
Just wanted some opinions on modding my 400ex. It currently just has k&n filter and 2 holes in airbox. I took the headpipe and ground the weld some for more flow. I planned to install the following: WB drop in cam, HD Valve springs,416 cc piston 10.5/1 comp., WB E-series exhaust, and rejet the carb. I want to stay away from a full race motor---dont want to have to get hard faced rockers. Anyone run a similar setup and how is the performance? Also reply with anything you would add or delete.

11-01-2001, 06:11 PM
if money isn't and issue i'd also reccomend getting a new carb ...( edelbrock or fcr ) and maybe have your head ported and polished...that will add some ponies but will pull a good chunk of change out of your pocket....hope this helps... ohh and the rest of your list looks pretty good. good luck and have fun

400exRacerX
11-01-2001, 06:58 PM
A port and polish isnt going to do jack if you dont have a free flowing exhuast, new bigger carb, and no lid on the airbox. I would reccomend getting a wilder cam and get the harded faced rockers but i guess you don't want to? it would give you a bigger hp gain, and maybe go alittle higher on the compression of your piston.

stocktires
11-01-2001, 07:32 PM
with an aftermarket cam you MUST hardface the rockers!!! unless you get a xr400 cam which is a little wilder and you dont need to hardface the rockers then! But if you had about $600 i would get:

#1. WB E-series slip-on silencer $220
#2. XR250 rev limiter from honda $70
#3. XR400 Cam $200 i think
#4. JE 416 piston, 10.5:1 $150
Rejet

you do use the power you already have right? You might wana get chassis mods like tires and maybe axle. But you will FLY compared to a stock motor!

400exRacerX
11-01-2001, 08:38 PM
Yea, $600 bucks if he does it his self hopefully, plus gaskets, o-rings, oil filters, oil, and of coarse some ice cold beverages!:D