PDA

View Full Version : frame question

tman12345
11-18-2007, 05:43 PM
on my 400ex there is a place on the frame where the frame tube kind of makes a triangle and the triangle has a little "floor" i guess you could say out of metal or something ( look on pictures circled in red and colored in red) is anybody elses like this, my friends 01 isa not. its kind of a pain when draining oil. and water gets stuck in it.

tman12345
11-18-2007, 05:43 PM
real pic

JOEX
11-18-2007, 08:43 PM
My 01 doesn't have it either.

Did you buy it used? Is there one on the other side?

Maybe it's been gusseted. Do a closer comparison with your buddy's quad, there may be more gussets.

Big - D Racing
11-18-2007, 08:53 PM
It appears your frame has been gusted. That means the rpevious owner or whoever did the powder coat put welded in additional braces in critical weak points in the frame to keep it from bending. Welding gussets at the pegs is common because that area takes a lot of stress from your weight and landings, along with frame shock mounts. Sucks for draining oil, but hey your frame is more reliable. You probably have other gussets on your frame too. I have a 14 point gusset kit (meaning 14 different gussets welded on to my frame) it is a common practice for racers. And I would recommend it to anyone who wants to have their quad for the long haul and keep your frame reliable. I have a friend with a 88 250r fourtax and his frame is cracking all over I can smile and say mine won't do that with time.

tman12345
11-19-2007, 12:36 PM
yea i guess its good but draining oil is a pain.