PDA

View Full Version : guitar players

trict_out
11-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Well, to make a long story short lately I have been craving to learn how to play some of the oldies on the guitar, led zeppelin, guns n roses, Van Halen...u get the picture...Im buyin a guitar for myself for xmas, my question is how much should I pay for a good amp and guitar, what brands should I stay away from, and most important...how hard is it to learn? P.S. I am amazing at guitar hero but have never played the real thing. whats up metal heads????

Pvt. Maggot
11-18-2007, 03:15 AM
The only real skill guitar hero helps with is finger movement. If your just starting, I would suggest getting an acoustic as it is harder to play, you have to press harder. and once you learn a bit, pickup a nice electric, can't go wrong with a fender stratocaster telecaster, SG, LTD, Ibanez, ect. The thing with guitar, it takes alot of time, and alot of practice, alot of people can't stick with it. If you really want to play, you have to practice as much as you can daily, I taught myself, and after 6 years I am still not great, and I still learn things daily. Good luck and just stick with it!

416exfreak
11-18-2007, 05:44 AM
Guitar hero wont help you out much.

Start with an acoustic. Alvarez, Ibanez, Taylor, Dean, Ovation, Seagull, Takamine and Yamaha all make good acoustics.

After you get some knowledge and some skill, go get yourself a something like-

Fender stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Ibanez RG series
Dean(any)
Schecter(any)
BC Rich(any)
Washburn(any)
Epiphone(any)

And for amps, Id say a Line6, VOX, Peavey, Fender, or B52.

Stay away from CRATE. Ive been through 3 of them...they suck. Straight up.

Good luck and let us know if youneed anymore help.

BTW- A good guitar and amp combo should set you back between 500-800 dollars.
:blah:

MNkfx400
11-18-2007, 08:46 AM
I picked up a learn how to play guitar video series. The songs you play in there are pretty lame, but it teaches you everything you need to know. It's a litte spendy, but worth it. it's a 20 lesson DVD series with play along CDs and a book. I finished it in 8 months and I'm better than my friends who've been playing for years. Here's a link to the website. http://www.learnandmasterguitar.com/

mudrunner35
11-18-2007, 02:03 PM
if you're just starting, my advice is to pick up a cheap beginner guitar. like a Squire or anything thats cheap at your local guitar store. and buy a cheap 15 watt amp and make sure you take lessons! lessons are what make you realy good. theres things you can easily teach yourself but lessons is where you learn the things you can miss. my first guitar was a cheapo Jay Turser gibson sg knock off and a Randall 15 watt amp lol and i still have them but i've overhauled the SG knockoff

trx400EXtreme
11-18-2007, 02:20 PM
i think the guitar lesson videos on ultimateguitar.com have helped me a bunch. check em out sometime.

mudrunner35
11-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
i think the guitar lesson videos on ultimateguitar.com have helped me a bunch. check em out sometime.

x2

kristopher dahl used to be on ultimate guitat but i can't seem to find his lessons anymore
:(

after some internet searching i found out he has a page on youtube:p

http://youtube.com/user/KristoferDahl

he does some pretty sweet stuff

trx400EXtreme
11-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by mudrunner35
x2

kristopher dahl used to be on ultimate guitat but i can't seem to find his lessons anymore
:(

after some internet searching i found out he has a page on youtube:p

http://youtube.com/user/KristoferDahl

he does some pretty sweet stuff yea hes pretty good. a little...different though lol. his lessons are still on UG i thing. there is a button that says lessons at the top of the home page it think. not sure though.

416exfreak
11-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Im completely self taught and im still better than my friends who have been playing for several years. Its all in how much you want to learn how to play and how well you stick with it.