PDA

View Full Version : Bent Steering Stem

yfz_rookie
11-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Well I got my four wheeler repaired today after two weeks of it being in my garage. It was leaking gas out the bottom overflow tube. I took it out and was running around and jumped my new jump that i had just built and went endover and bent my steering stem. My question is will it be possible to take the steering stem out and bend it back in a hydraulic press or will that weaken it to much. If I cant do that then I will be buying a new steering stem and it will take me a long while to get enough money for that. So Im looking at not being able to ride until after Chrismas. If I do need to buy a new steering stem what would you suggest?
Thanks in advance.

11-18-2007, 06:18 AM
Ive bent stock ones alot. i ran a bent stocker i hammered straight for almost a year with no problems. Im sure i weakens it but you can get away with it. Just don expect it to be perfect next time you roll it. I think houser stems are the best bang for the buck imo

yfzrider45
11-18-2007, 12:17 PM
I have a stock stem for sale if your interested! It's straight, and its full black in color....great shape too! lemme know, or if you wanna buy aftermarket get gibson!

YFZ#426
11-19-2007, 09:22 AM
go with a houser stem, much stonger and cant beat that price. I bent my stock stem the 1 month i owned a yfz. once you bend something stock that gives you an excuse to buy an aftermarket one.

Toadz400
11-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Either have it bent back with a hydraulic press and possibly reinforced or find a brand new stock one off of eBay. When I bent mine I got an '06 stem and it was cheap, much cheaper than an aftermarket as I don't see a need for an aftermarket stem.

YFZ#426
11-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Either have it bent back with a hydraulic press and possibly reinforced or find a brand new stock one off of eBay. When I bent mine I got an '06 stem and it was cheap, much cheaper than an aftermarket as I don't see a need for an aftermarket stem.

well depending on how he rides there may be a need for an aftermarket stem. the stock stem is cheap but you can get a houser for under $200. def worth the money and the extra strength

yfz_rookie
11-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Well I bent my old one back for a temporary fix but I still am going to buy an aftermarket stem. Is lonestar a good brand because I am high bidder on ebay for a +2 Lonestar.

Toadz400
11-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by YFZ#426
well depending on how he rides there may be a need for an aftermarket stem. the stock stem is cheap but you can get a houser for under $200. def worth the money and the extra strength

I ride pretty hard and have raced and I see no need for an aftermarket stem yet. The way I look at it, it's less money to be thrown away if I wreck.

YFZ#426
11-21-2007, 06:47 PM
hahah ok man, if you dont want to buy a aftermarket stem thats ok. im just saying that if you bend a stock stem why not get somthing better for not much more money. stock stems are not as strong as you think. i have bent acouple stock stems before i bought my houser. now i have 3 full race seasons on a houser stem without any probs.

oh lonestar is a very reliable company, i have had great expierences with there porducts

yfzrider45
11-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Hey if you want a stock stem lemme know lol i still have it, its black and staright

yfz_rookie
11-22-2007, 08:59 PM
No but thanks for offering to let me buy it. I want to get an aftermarket one and I'm thinking houser. Someone outbid me at the last second on the lonestar one. Thanks to all of you for your great help.

yfzrider45
11-23-2007, 07:47 AM
No problem, good luck!

Toadz400
11-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by YFZ#426
hahah ok man, if you dont want to buy a aftermarket stem thats ok. im just saying that if you bend a stock stem why not get somthing better for not much more money. stock stems are not as strong as you think. i have bent acouple stock stems before i bought my houser. now i have 3 full race seasons on a houser stem without any probs.

oh lonestar is a very reliable company, i have had great expierences with there porducts

I'm not saying aftermarket stems are bad. I'm just saying that when you're on a budget there is no real need for an aftermarket stem if either one is going to bend or break. Also there is modifying your own stem to be taller or shorter than stock. The way I see it the only reason to get an aftermarket stem is if you need an anti-vibe stem to cut down on vibrations.

ECAYFZ450
12-28-2007, 03:16 PM
DUDE JUST GET A NEW ONE..I KNOW THEY ARE A LOT OF MANY, BUT GO WITH A GIBSON!!