PDA

View Full Version : exhaust

BamBam730
11-17-2007, 11:34 AM
I am looking to put on a slip on header on my stock 2004 400 ex. There are so many to chose from and each one may need the carb to be jetted. I am lookking at the lexx slip on. I am curious if anyone has this exhaust and what do they think of it? Did you need to jet carb?

Any other slip on suggestions are welcome, I am not well versed with exhausts

atvmaster0927
11-17-2007, 12:05 PM
You have to jet almost every carb with an exhaust. I hase a yoshi and i love mine and it sounds great.

drew416ex
11-17-2007, 12:54 PM
I used to have a white bros e-series. Deff. made a difference and i didnt have to rejet mine cause it was running rich with the stock pipe. My buddy has a fmf power core 4 and it worked a little better than my e-series. Go to gtthunder.com . They have a exhaust shootout on the website somewhere. I think its under test bench. Its full systems, but it might give you a better idea.

maxfior
11-17-2007, 01:14 PM
If you have the time to read through a lot of threads, do a search on pipes that you think you may be interested in. I too am in the market for a full system. I think it's worth spending a little bit more to get a larger header. One thing with jetting... I was leary at first to do so, but knew that with the weather getting colder I would need more fuel for cold starts and over-all a richer setup. When I rejet my 400, I was able to run with out the airbox lid and had a uni filter. Talk about a huge difference. I noticed more response everywhere. I highly reccomend jetting you 400. Start with a #40, do a plug check and if it's still lean move up to the #42. I was able to leave the #40 in my carb. Everything checked out fine. With a full system I might have to alter things a little bit, but it's easy to do and worth having a properly jetting machine.
---
Keep us posted with what pipes you have in mind and make sure you think long and hard about what you'll be doing. Running a full race setup for just putting around your back yard is sure to make your neighbors pissed. So keep things like that in mind. Good luck!

Max

honda8&3
11-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Never had experience with the Lexx. I'd say get an HMF slip on. Excellent power gains for the price. Also can get a quiet core to quiet the exhaust quite a bit for trail riding. But I'd say first you need to get some skid plates. Stock ones suck! Get some armadillo skids from www.rockymountainatv.com . Swingarm and a chassis skid. Then look into suspension. 450R shocks work great for the price and get them revalved and resprung by C&DRacing. Don't start with engine performance mods, always do this order IMO

1. Skid plates/bumpers (protect your investment
2. Suspension (a nice ride always beats engine performance IMO)
3. Engine performance modifications