PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

wvspeedfreak
11-16-2007, 04:57 PM
I have been an auto mechanic for 17 years and have been working at the same garage for 15 years.I have recently been offered a job at another place of business doing similar type work but more specialized in the hot rod/muscle car field.Now,here is where I would like some advice.I feel that where I am currently employed I am pretty much topped out as far as pay goes.It is a small family owned shop and you can really only get so far up the ladder.However,I have been there long enough to have the flexibility to take off when I need to and pretty much do whatever I want and that means alot.With the new job though,I will have the opportunity to make more money right from the start with room for advancement as well.It is a hard decision that I know ultimately will be up to me but I just wanted some input from others on it...................

416exfreak
11-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Are you hurting for money?

If not, then I would stay where you are. You said yourself that you have flexibilityto do just about whatever you want. I wouldnt burn my bridges if I were you. If you would like to just have more $ laying aroun then take the new job, but remember...you'll be around new people, in a strange shop.;)

Good Luck

Pappy
11-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Jason, youa nd i both know the small shop is going by the wayside. I'm in the same boat and will soon be on my own, but if given the chance, I'd skip off to a larger company for the $$ while its there. (I should have done that years ago!)

Follow your gut!

(and yes we want to come to austins party, just waiting on bridget to verify it and i need a time place etc)

Ghost-Rider
11-16-2007, 05:35 PM
I'd go for the bigger shop, but it's your life so it really doesn't matter what we would do.

SRH
11-16-2007, 05:40 PM
id go with the hot rod shop, change is good for everyone, the money will be better too, and youll have something to aspire to(moving up) plus it seems like working on hot rods would be alot more interesting than just your average automobile, and like pappy said larger company is the thing today

AtvMxRider
11-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Kind of in the same boat Jason. I know I could go to another shop and make more money but the flexibilty I have now makes it a tough decision.

wvspeedfreak
11-16-2007, 06:35 PM
It isn't so much about the money,although that helps :p .Just knowing there is the potential to move up is nice.I think sometimes I am just in need of a change.I have thought about changing fields all together before but I'm not sure what field to get in to as dumb as that sounds.Turning wrenches is all I have ever done :)

Aceman
11-17-2007, 08:37 AM
The hot rod shop for sure. Starting out out at new job will always be a little rough in the beginning but in the end you'll be glad you did it.:cool: Besides, you're expanding your knowledge as well as working on new projects, something different than the same old stuff you've been working on for the last 15 years. Plus it's one more thing you you can put on your resume.:macho

D-7#61-450r
11-17-2007, 04:53 PM
Within the past year I switched from being an auto tech to an equipment mechanic. For several years I tried to find a better place to work and never seemed happy. I like fixing stuff, it doesn't really matter what. In the auto field I started to feel to much like a Tech and realized that I was not really wrenching anymore. So I talked with another guy about working on equipment and his exact words were BIG DUMB WORK. I took the job and love it, I am wrenching again. The biggest thing I did do is laid it on the line to them when I started and if they didn't like it then I wasn't going to work for them, nothing to lose I was semi happy where I was but looking elsewhere like yourself. The money was better but only because it was hourly not flat rate. Not sure if this will help or not but it is what worked for me.

Just remeber when money gets tight boys stop spending on there toys first. Just be concerned about hotrods and economy.

Terry

honduh440
11-17-2007, 05:00 PM
dont forget job security options ..... what happens if bob walks in with more on his resume