PDA

View Full Version : problems with 05 trx450r?

Silverlake
11-16-2007, 01:20 PM
I am planning on buying a 05 trx450r are there any problems with this year i should know about?

bloodmoney23
11-16-2007, 01:30 PM
OK......I have rolled, flipped, hit a rock 3 times the size of my bike at about 15mph. lost it in the ocean for about 10-15 min and the only problems ive had in over 200+ riding hours on it is that i needed new rims and tires (from hitting little rocks and riding on the road). and my steering stem is bent from a 300+ lb somoan trying to steal it out of my truck and my bearings and seals are finally fried from the ocean experience. And another common problem is the temp light has been going out quite a bit in the 05's but those are a $10-$20 fix. Take care of it and you will be in good hands for a long time. Hopefully that helps your decision...but I have also left mine stock the whole time untill the past few weeks and I bought it brand new in 05.

Silverlake
11-16-2007, 01:41 PM
thanks Bloodymoney23. How did you lose it in the ocean?

bloodmoney23
11-16-2007, 01:57 PM
I was stationed in Hawaii for 5 years in the army and there is a beach on north shore called mokulea beach that everyone rides on and has truck races and stuff. Well I was rolling pretty quick right down the shoreline and wasnt paying attention and a wave hit me and i flew off the bike and it took it in the water. With about 10 of us looking for it my one buddy finally saw the handlebars come up after about 10-15 min. There is alot of reef up there so thats prolly the only thing that stopped me from losing it for good. My one buddy fried his truck engine out there. He tried riding a couple feet out and got stuck then just kept trying and trying to drive it out and the salt water got into his air box and he basically filled his engine with salt water.......yeah not good. I would def wait for a couple more posts before making a desicion though. I wouldnt judge it off of one as i call it "lucky bike"

Silverlake
11-16-2007, 02:16 PM
that sucks man but good thing it still worked afterward.

bloodmoney23
11-16-2007, 02:38 PM
yeah it did suck but drained the water. let the sun dry it the rest of the way and got back on and rode the rest of the day. Didnt even change oil for a few months cause i forgot about it. They are reliable bikes IMO though.

maticus
11-17-2007, 06:27 AM
im just picturing the toyota truck comercials, where they get blown up and stuff and are still in perfect shape.

bloodmoney23
11-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by maticus
im just picturing the toyota truck comercials, where they get blown up and stuff and are still in perfect shape.

LOL thats a good way to put it maticus! But untill my rebuild is done mine is nowhere near perfect shape.....yeah motorwise my internals were perfect....my valves looked brand new and my piston was still in great shape. But the exterior is completely stained with hawaii red dirt. I dont think i have a bearing or seal left on the bike that isnt rotted out......But still after 2 years of abuse and the only reason I put new piston and cam in is to gain some more out of the bike. This pic was taken a couple weeks ago and the second one is what it looks like now and ill post the finsihed pic in less than a month.