PDA

View Full Version : Rust stopping

Deathbringer
11-01-2001, 04:17 PM
I ride at the dunes and spent some time in the ocean this last time also (i know bad idea) anyway, I now noticed some rust on my front sprocket and all over the chain, even though I rinsed it off before the drive home it was still there the next day when I went to clean the quad thourly.. What can I use to stop this and not ruin my chain, I remember seeing something in the store that was like a jelly that was supposed to stop rust but is it safe to use? Thanks for any help you can give.

11-01-2001, 07:30 PM
um...most chains do this and you must have a steel front sproket there for as soon s you get a scratch in it it will rust..you can't really stop rust once it is started.....just if you have an o-ring chain clen it with soap and water and a brush thougholy and then use some chain wax or lube and it will go away...i clean mine after every moto or ride

400exRacerX
11-01-2001, 08:45 PM
My change rusts when it gets wet, use some maxima chain wax, and its normal for your sprocket to rust, dont worry bout it man.

Deathbringer
11-01-2001, 10:33 PM
Ok cool, I am just anal about stuff like that and like to keep it shiny new for as long as I can..:D

barbwire44
11-02-2001, 05:00 AM
Just buy yourself some titanium sprockets and a stainless steel chain they make em there a little costly but lookin at most of the pics taken from the dunes area's i dont think the dune rider's care much about how much things cost.

11-04-2001, 11:25 AM
Well, I live 1 hour from the gulf and Ive always had a problem keeping rust off anything thats metal. On my chain and sprocket, I first use WD-40, whipe it down with a rag so It doesnt get all messy, then I use Maxima Chain Wax on the chain, leaving the WD on the sprocket. I then take a rag and put some WD-40 on it, and whipe down the frame and other metal parts. This pretty much keeps mr. rust away. hope this help ya!

Deathbringer
11-04-2001, 08:43 PM
Thanks, that sounds good..