PDA

View Full Version : PC Questions

dustin_j
11-16-2007, 08:28 AM
I can get my stuff powdercoated where my father-in-law works for free. I just need to clean up the parts real well, then they hand paint it and let it sit in an oven at 350 degrees F. I think I'll do my frame for sure. Is there any reason not to do my A-arms, swinger, and possibly bumper? I doubt it will affect anything, but I wouldn't want the temperature to weaken any of the parts. Would this happen to any of the parts? Thanks,
Dustin

300exOH
11-16-2007, 09:23 AM
All the parts will be fine as long as you remove all bushings, plastic parts and balljoints. I think the parts are supposed to bake at 400 deg but it won't weaken anything. You'll need to get everything down to bare metal either with a media blaster or chemical stripper.

dustin_j
11-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the reply, I just wanted to make sure the PC wouldn't affect any possible heat treatment on parts. Thanks,
Dustin

300exOH
11-16-2007, 09:53 AM
No problem. 350/400 deg isn't enough to affect anything as far as heat treating...heck it's barely enough to bake bread. lol

Good luck with the project. If you have any other problems/questions check out the BK Performance section on here. Pappy is the resident PC'er here and there is a lot of good info about powdercoating in that section.

Pappy
11-17-2007, 06:27 AM
if they are applying powder with a brush, its not powder coat...lol

dustin_j
11-19-2007, 07:09 AM
Oh yeah pappy? haha. I meant the gun is controlled by a person, rather than automated. The company makes skidloader attachments, so my stuff would hang on the line in between a couple buckets or something. Thanks for the advice guys.